Blu-Ray vs. HD-DVD (2006)

1100101102103104106»

Comments

• Reply 2101 of 2106
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by onlooker View Post

...and other things of that nature in the same $$$ range as SDTV's they probably wont break 35% of homes. If that.

... I think my early estimation of 35% may even be a little high.

I'm guessing that the percentage of HD 1080i/p TVs in US households now is less than 10%. But that's only a guess.
  • Reply 2102 of 2106
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    I'd say that Apple will offer neither BR, or HD in their lineups until someone offers equal priced drives in both formats.

That's just a guess., but Apple sometimes doesn't offer things until there is somewhat wide spread adoption.
  • Reply 2103 of 2106
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by onlooker View Post

I'd say that Apple will offer neither BR, or HD in their lineups until someone offers equal priced drives in both formats.

That's just a guess., but Apple sometimes doesn't offer things until there is somewhat wide spread adoption.

Apple seems to jump the gun on some things (wireless, USB, mouse) when it seems likely to catch on, but tend to hold back on other things until they're widespread (PCIe, still no eSATA, etc.). I'd say that BR and HD-DVD fall into the second camp.
  • Reply 2104 of 2106
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ZachPruckowski View Post

Apple seems to jump the gun on some things (wireless, USB, mouse) when it seems likely to catch on, but tend to hold back on other things until they're widespread (PCIe, still no eSATA, etc.). I'd say that BR and HD-DVD fall into the second camp.

Look at the timeline on those too. The first 3 were early days, and the second is todays Apple. Their trademark used to be all about bringing new technology out first but it has bitten them in ass more than once. If your the only one doing it, and you only have 2% market share your prices are going to be astronomical. That drove Mac prices up in the past. Now Apples computers are usually less expensive than their competitors for computers using similar components. Apple is much smarter now, and knows they can wait on some technology. Especially something that is still really expensive.
  • Reply 2105 of 2106
    Quote:

Wow thanks for that. You can see exactly how much faster Blu Ray has grown in the last 30 days compared to HD-DVD

Sales-rank of top 10 products:

HD = from about 700 to 494. = gained 206 points.

BR = from about 2750 to 1425. gained 1325 points. that is almost 7 x the gain in just the last 30 days.

HD DVD is the current leader in every category other than how many movies are available in which HD-DVD have just been overtaken by Blu-Ray, but with that kind of growth I don't see how anyone can deny that the shift has gone to Blu-Ray.

Thanks for the reassurance.

Sales ranks again have continued to favor Blu-Ray since this was posted. Huge leaps again for Blu-Ray, but HD-DVD is now slipping away.

HD has diminished it's #'s, and Blu Ray is still climbing.

Salesrank of top 10 products:

HD-DVD - 675.7

Blu-Ray - 952.2

Look what else has changed.

Average Amazon.com price:

HD-DVD - $22.70

Blu-Ray - $22.00
  • Reply 2106 of 2106
    Sony unveils Blu-ray recorders to fight HD DVD

http://news.zdnet.com/2100-9584_22-6...ml?tag=nl.e550

Toshiba romancing Warner to date HD DVD exclusively?

First, Paramount and DreamWorks Animation get bought off to go HD DVD exclusive. Now word is Toshiba's trying to romance Warner into flipping. The only problem is Sony's doing its best to seduce the last dual-format studio into exclusively shacking up with Blu-ray

http://ct.cnet-ssa.cnet.com/clicks?t...0e-bf&s=5&fs=0