Everyone has the dual core

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Pretty obvious but a different feeling than usual before a Macworld.

CES has shown the Acer, Lenova, Lifebook, Sony, Gateway and probably others with the Dual Core. Next week, Apple will no doubt announce the same thing. Just kind of takes the fun out of it.

I vote that Apple change Macworld next year to go before CES and take the wind out of the PC world instead of the opposite way around.

Of course, I expect Apple to have sexier designs and some cool new stuff but still...

Comments

• Reply 1 of 24
    gene cleangene clean Posts: 3,481member
    ...still what? Is it better to be equal to others in terms of processing power, or to rely on an internally-developed, totally irrelevant "Mhz Myth" story?
  • Reply 2 of 24
    kcmackcmac Posts: 1,051member
    No doubt the Mhz myth stuff will stop. It's just weird seeing the other side get the same thing at exactly the same time. Or in this case, announced a week ahead.
  • Reply 3 of 24
    gsxrboygsxrboy Posts: 565member
    I think the endaget round up of the intel keynote said that 1 million DC yonahs will have been shipped in 3 weeks time. So much hope yet for ibooks/powerbooks/mini/whatevers to be ready to rock in the near future.
  • Reply 4 of 24
    Quote:

Originally posted by kcmac

Pretty obvious but a different feeling than usual before a Macworld.

CES has shown the Acer, Lenova, Lifebook, Sony, Gateway and probably others with the Dual Core. Next week, Apple will no doubt announce the same thing. Just kind of takes the fun out of it.

I vote that Apple change Macworld next year to go before CES and take the wind out of the PC world instead of the opposite way around.

Of course, I expect Apple to have sexier designs and some cool new stuff but still...

Well of course! Why do you think Apple is going to start using Intel chips?

Apple Computer doesn't have to be the best in terms of portable hardware power, but they can't lag so far behind...
  • Reply 5 of 24
    kim kap solkim kap sol Posts: 2,987member
    Could you imagine if Apple was still stuck with Motorola or IBM? Apple would be the laughingstock of the portable computer industry.

To those that still think it was a bad idea for Apple to switch to Intel...eat it.

1.7GHz G4 vs dual 2.1GHz Core Duo?
  • Reply 6 of 24
    kcmackcmac Posts: 1,051member
    I'm not against the change at all. Far from it. Love it.

I was just stating in a minute of CES blues, the realization that some of the announcement anticipation/thunder is now removed from MacWorld. Of course I expect plenty of thunder.

That is all. Guess I'll keep my trap shut next time.

And before anyone rains on me for mentioning CES or thinking I saw anything there that overwhelms me, forget it. Pretty boring, misguided show.
  • Reply 7 of 24
    Quote:

Originally posted by kcmac

I'm not against the change at all. Far from it. Love it.

I was just stating in a minute of CES blues, the realization that some of the announcement anticipation/thunder is now removed from MacWorld. Of course I expect plenty of thunder.

That is all. Guess I'll keep my trap shut next time.

And before anyone rains on me for mentioning CES or thinking I saw anything there that overwhelms me, forget it. Pretty boring, misguided show.

Maybe this year's Macworld will outshine CES? 8)
  • Reply 8 of 24
    blackcatblackcat Posts: 697member
    My big fear is Apple messing up in the price or performance. They should in theory be comparable to Sony in price, but will they protect their margins? And will the 1" thin obsession mean no 2.1GHz Yonahs? I'd be quite happy with a Pismo sized fast as hell Powerbook with 6hrs of battery.

Now the playing field is even they can't dazzle us with form over function. We demand both.
  • Reply 9 of 24
    Quote:

Originally posted by Blackcat

My big fear is Apple messing up in the price or performance. They should in theory be comparable to Sony in price, but will they protect their margins? And will the 1" thin obsession mean no 2.1GHz Yonahs? I'd be quite happy with a Pismo sized fast as hell Powerbook with 6hrs of battery.

Now the playing field is even they can't dazzle us with form over speed. We demand both.

We have always had 'function'.
  • Reply 10 of 24
    Quote:

Originally posted by kim kap sol

We have always had 'function'.

Yes, but Apple competed only with itself, often leaving out features to force upgrade (in Fast, Faster, Fastest the Fast was always subtly hobbled in some way).

Now nothing will be different unless Apple decides Powerbooks only need 1.8GHz Core Duos when everybody else has 2.1. I hope they give us parity.
  • Reply 11 of 24
    sunilramansunilraman Posts: 8,133member
    well, at least it's pretty bloody obvious the iBooks and PowerBooks will be core duo and announced next week. otherwise, yes, apple will be too far behind \
  • Reply 12 of 24
    Quote:

Yes, but Apple competed only with itself, often leaving out features to force upgrade (in Fast, Faster, Fastest the Fast was always subtly hobbled in some way).

Now nothing will be different unless Apple decides Powerbooks only need 1.8GHz Core Duos when everybody else has 2.1. I hope they give us parity.

Hmmm, yeah, now I see what you mean...and you're right. Because Apple had so little choice of processors (sticking only the fastest chips Motorola could deliver to try and match PC speeds) they had to cripple the low end by *removing* important features or crippling the mobo.

At least now they can have feature-parity across the line and give meaning to Fast, Faster, Fastest through the different speed chips. The only difference now should be the amount of RAM and chip speed. Hopefully all 'books will have Airport, Bluetooth, Superdrives, etc. as a default config.
  • Reply 13 of 24
    Quote:

Originally posted by sunilraman

well, at least it's pretty bloody obvious the iBooks and PowerBooks will be core duo and announced next week. otherwise, yes, apple will be too far behind \

They wouldn't let us down...

...would they?
  • Reply 14 of 24
    nah, there has been no update on any feasible G4 for laptops. therefore, apple will have to release intel based iBooks and PowerBooks if they are to have meaningful laptop sales for january-march 2006 quarter, IMO. they could bring out the 7448 G4 but hmmm...... i think apple is playing a whole new ballgame in 2006. they're gonna start it off right
  • Reply 15 of 24
    Quote:

Originally posted by sunilraman

nah, there has been no update on any feasible G4 for laptops. therefore, apple will have to release intel based iBooks and PowerBooks if they are to have meaningful laptop sales for january-march 2006 quarter, IMO. they could bring out the 7448 G4 but hmmm...... i think apple is playing a whole new ballgame in 2006. they're gonna start it off right

Hope so.

I hear people say there isn't enough universal binary pro software out there for a Powerbook release, but I think the best way to stimulate universal binary development is to get hardware out there en masse.

My credit card is ready!
  • Reply 16 of 24
    Quote:

My credit card is ready!

Mine, too.
  • Reply 17 of 24
    jasenj1jasenj1 Posts: 923member
    IMHO, it would have been killer if Steve Jobs had popped out on stage with the Intel guy and announced the Apple Core Duo laptops. Just a little cameo sneak peak with Steve ending with a "we'll be sharing more at MacWorld next week".

The buzz-o-meter would have gone through the roof. But I think it would have stolen the thunder from the Viiv presentation.

- Jasen.
  • Reply 18 of 24
    trobertstroberts Posts: 702member
    Everyone might have dual core, but only one has OS X. For me, all the computers that have been announced and for sale does not bring down my excitement because that is all they have (i.e. Here is your dual core laptop, go run Windows). Apple, on the other hand, has:

1) iBooks - redesigned

2) Mac mini - updated, DVR capabilities built-in or connect to separate hardware

3) PowerBooks - updated hardware configuration, cosmetic changes

4) iLife - updated and new (iWeb) apps

5) Front Row - free with new Mac, separate purchase for older Macs and Windows

6) iWork - updated Keynote, Pages and new spreadsheet, database apps

7) AirPort Express - new/updated to handle video (iPhoto slideshows, iTunes music videos)

8 - .mac service updates

9) iPods - new shuffle model, Keynote speeches can be saved to/played from iPod, accessories

10) One more thing.
  • Reply 19 of 24
    one more thing are Apple Plasma HDTVs with ViiV inside Mac Minis hence will not be DVR equipped as such. just my predictions based on Sandwich Man (posted by SpamSandwich on another thread)

http://www.powerpage.org/archives/2..._rock_mwsf.html
  • Reply 20 of 24
    hypoluxahypoluxa Posts: 694member
    Well I for one just got my DC 2.3 G5 yesterday and it is great. Ill be using this for quite a long while...