iLife '06

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 70
    Quote:

Originally posted by Electric Monk

I'd be on the verge of buying Aperture if it didn't have massive problems.

And if I had a computer I could run it on.

Agreed.
  • Reply 62 of 70
    Exposure slider update:

I asked the same question over at DPReview, as someone has an extensive iPhoto 06 review thread going, and here was the reply:

Quote:

The exposure slider means nothing to images that are JPEGS or TIFS. With these type files, the slider is a 0-100 scale. For RAW processing images, this slider becomes an EV (+/-) 3 stops with "0" at the center position.

Link to the full thread.
  • Reply 63 of 70
    aplnubaplnub Posts: 2,605member
    Quote:

Originally posted by digitaldave

Exposure slider update:

I asked the same question over at DPReview, as someone has an extensive iPhoto 06 review thread going, and here was the reply:

Link to the full thread.

That is great news but I still do all my work (amateur mind you) in "jpg" format. Switching to a "raw" format workflow kinda scares me because of the support (lack of). Maybe I will give it a shot.

That is great news.

What I like about the intel chips is that suddenly, a MacBook Pro becomes a better machine to do Final Cut Pro on when compared to my iMac. That is very tempting...
  • Reply 64 of 70
    Quote:

Originally posted by aplnub

What I like about the intel chips is that suddenly, a MacBook Pro becomes a better machine to do Final Cut Pro on when compared to my iMac. That is very tempting...

To be fair, it will be a better machine when the pro apps go universal binary.
  • Reply 65 of 70
    aplnubaplnub Posts: 2,605member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Electric Monk

To be fair, it will be a better machine when the pro apps go universal binary.

I guess I got ahead of myself but with the universal binaries approaching fast, it really is almost trivial at this point.

My guess for the MacBook Pro's not having Dual layer support and a few other weird deleted options for an almost fully loaded notebook, is the fact that they want to continue selling the last of the PowerBooks until they are gone and those super fast, errrr. slug G4's, can be long forgotten.
  • Reply 66 of 70
    Can anyone here comment on photocasting? How well does it work for people that are viewing on other computers? Oh, and can photocasting be done without a .mac account? I can't seem to get a straight answer anywhere...

Cheers
  • Reply 67 of 70
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    One odd thing about iWeb is that it's not obvious how you take a website that you've already created, and open it up with iWeb. I even created a website with iWeb, and now I can't open it up with iWeb on a different machine. There is no Open... menu, let alone Import... \
  • Reply 68 of 70
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Oy, I'd imagine that would be very difficult to pull off. CSS et al are such huge beasts that doing a true import might be really beyond iWeb.

As for opening - is there not a way of feeding it a URL to access?
  • Reply 69 of 70
    jbljbl Posts: 555member
    Quote:

Originally posted by BRussell

One odd thing about iWeb is that it's not obvious how you take a website that you've already created, and open it up with iWeb. I even created a website with iWeb, and now I can't open it up with iWeb on a different machine. There is no Open... menu, let alone Import... \

I asked three different people about this at Macworld and got three different answers. The guy who seemed to know the most (I think he said he was the product manager, so I would hope he knows something), said iWeb does not store HTML. Instead it stores your website as some proprietary bundle buried in ~/Library (I can't remember the exact path but it didn't sound hard to find). He said this means you cannot import sites or pages created by other programs. On the other hand, if you copy the bundle to a different machine and put it in the appropriate place, he said there should be no problems opening it (no promises since this is not officially a feature). Anyway, give it a try.
  • Reply 70 of 70
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    Yup. Ugh, that's so crummy. I found this article on this issue:

If you are not able to use the Migration Assistant, or do not want to copy your entire Home folder, you can move your iWeb sites from one user or computer to another using these steps:

1. On the computer you're moving from, quit iWeb.

2. In the Finder, open your Home folder. From the Go menu, choose Home (Go > Home).

3. Open the Library folder.

4. Open the Application Support folder.

5. Control-click (or right-click) on the iWeb folder, and from the shortcut menu choose Create Archive of iWeb.

6. This will create a file called iWeb.zip.

7. Copy this file to the same location for your new user or computer, then double-click the file to open it.

8. Open iWeb, and your sites should all appear.

Jeezus.