iWork 06

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Doesn't sound that hot at all.



Sounds like a little kowtowing is going on. Apple wants to sell me music and videos yet I have nothing exemplarary to handle my productivity on.



I'm not saying this to spite Apple but I'm glad my mother's sole practice is based around Windows and Office. Apple has been a huge disappointment in the productivity space.
«13

Comments

  • Reply 1 of 43
    jlljll Posts: 2,709member
    Stop expecting that iWork is supposed to compete with Office - it never will and it's not it's purpose.
  • Reply 2 of 43
    No spreadsheet application. I must admit I thought that was a given this time around.
  • Reply 3 of 43
    frank777frank777 Posts: 5,773member
    What, pray tell, is iWork's purpose? No seriously, I'd love to know.



    Asking for a darn spreadsheet on the platform isn't "competing with Office".

    It's providing basic functionality to users.



    It is an embarrassment to all concerned that a cutting edge iMac which is now "2X faster" still has to ship with a seven year old productivity app because Apple doesn't realize people need to add lists of numbers.



    Pathetic. This is why businesses are reluctant to embrace the Mac.



    The spreadsheet is a basic consumer and business tool. By all means, leave the high end to Redmond, but why leave out such a vital software category while shipping the iMac with other whimsical features like a remote?
  • Reply 4 of 43
    I agree, the lack of a spreadsheet is distressing. Frankly, I'd rather see them have revved Pages and added a spreadsheet than upgrade Keynote as well. It's probably too much to hope for a midyear release of Numbers or whatever.... If Apple doesn't include a spreadsheet in iWork 07, I'm giving up on the entire suite.



    It sucks... Pages 2 looks like an excellent upgrade that answers all my concerns about version 1.0.x. But the lack of a spreadsheet.... dammit, that's just pathetic.
  • Reply 5 of 43
    jlljll Posts: 2,709member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by Frank777

    Asking for a darn spreadsheet on the platform isn't "competing with Office".

    It's providing basic functionality to users.




    I was responding to: I'm glad my mother's sole practice is based around Windows and Office.





    Quote:

    Originally posted by Frank777

    Apple doesn't realize people need to add lists of numbers.



    You did notice that basic spreadsheet functionality is in Pages (and Keynote btw.), didn't you? Let's see how basic that is.
  • Reply 6 of 43
    Quote:

    Originally posted by JLL

    You did notice that basic spreadsheet functionality is in Pages (and Keynote btw.), didn't you? Let's see how basic that is.



    I was glad to see that, as that is enough for my needs. But it would still be nice if they brought iWorks at least up to the level of AppleWorks by adding more spreadsheet and basic database functionality.
  • Reply 7 of 43
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,146member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by JLL

    Stop expecting that iWork is supposed to compete with Office - it never will and it's not it's purpose.



    I never said that. However even a basic "works" app should have drawing, spreadsheet and a small database. I work is an incomplete productivity suite that isn't even on Appleworks level.



    Quote:

    The spreadsheet is a basic consumer and business tool. By all means, leave the high end to Redmond, but why leave out such a vital software category while shipping the iMac with other whimsical features like a remote?



    Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't Steve once tell us that TV was passive and that you turned your brain off. Now he's shipping remote controls so that we can listen to iTunes and play videos without moving but a finger. Speaks volumes.



    Quote:

    I was responding to: I'm glad my mother's sole practice is based around Windows and Office



    Am I supposed to attempt to cobble a solution together from Apple who can't even ship a consumer productivity suite that is full featured?



    Hey I understand....I'll go to Apple when I need iPods and downloadable video stuff but stick to Microsoft when I need the stuff that propels business.
  • Reply 8 of 43
    jlljll Posts: 2,709member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by hmurchison

    Hey I understand....I'll go to Apple when I need iPods and downloadable video stuff but stick to Microsoft when I need the stuff that propels business.



    Why does everything have to come from Apple? Do you really want two platforms with no third party apps?



    Is it so terrible to use Office if that's what you want?



    Hey I understand....I'll go to Apple when I need iPods and downloadable video stuff but stick to Adobe when I need the stuff that propels the printing industry.
  • Reply 9 of 43
    frank777frank777 Posts: 5,773member
    The incredible thing is, we have no modern third party spreadsheets.

    I really don't understand why not, but that's the situation on the platform.



    And yes JLL, I did notice that they implemented some kind of spreadsheet infrastructure within Pages. I wonder what happened to the "separate app for each task" mentality that insisted that Address Book, iCal and Mail not be integrated into one app.



    Sometimes you have to wonder if Apple really knows what it's doing, or if they're just making this stuff up as they go along.
  • Reply 10 of 43
    Quote:

    Originally posted by Frank777

    The incredible thing is, we have no modern third party spreadsheets.

    I really don't understand why not, but that's the situation on the platform.



    And yes JLL, I did notice that they implemented some kind of spreadsheet infrastructure within Pages. I wonder what happened to the "separate app for each task" mentality that insisted that Address Book, iCal and Mail not be integrated into one app.



    Sometimes you have to wonder if Apple really knows what it's doing, or if they're just making this stuff up as they go along.




    Actually Mariner Software's Calc isn't too bad. I use it because as an old WordPerfect programmer I can't bring myself to use Microsoft.



    http://www.marinersoftware.com/
  • Reply 11 of 43
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,146member
    It's a little bit of a signal that the health of the Mac platform isn't there. If Apple must appease Microsoft at every step to keep Office then we don't control our platform Microsoft does.



    iLife is nice but it's entertainment stuff. The fact that Apple doesn't have a homegrown productivity suite that appeals to consumers is daft. Are we really expecting these people to pay $300+ for Mac Office.



    If you're going to sell out to Microsoft then why not offer OEM versions for Macs?



    It certainly means there's no Exchange competitor in the wings which means Apple's Xserve line is rather useless.



    My respect for Apple diminishes everytime they do this. I gotta wonder about when the wheels fall off next time...will Apple recover. They're currently coasting on other peoples work (iTunes selling music owned by 3rd parties).



    The iPod will not last forever nor will the applause from the media and analysts who are as fickle as they come.
  • Reply 12 of 43
    jlljll Posts: 2,709member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by Frank777

    And yes JLL, I did notice that they implemented some kind of spreadsheet infrastructure within Pages. I wonder what happened to the "separate app for each task" mentality that insisted that Address Book, iCal and Mail not be integrated into one app.



    Since the same functionality is in both Pages and Keynote we might see it as an addition to the standard textview in Cocoa?



    I'm not saying that there isn't a need for a spreadsheet app, and I'm not expecting to see Pages and Keynote handling more than basic tables, since they are often needed in documents and presentations.



    PS: why should Mail, Address Book and iCal be integrated? Mozilla moved away from that approach and other than groupware apps I can only think of one all-in-one mail-address-calendar app: Entourage. Even Microsoft isn't combining the three in Windows Vista.
  • Reply 13 of 43
    jlljll Posts: 2,709member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by hmurchison

    It certainly means there's no Exchange competitor in the wings which means Apple's Xserve line is rather useless.



    How on earth can you conclude that there isn't an Exchange competitor on the way, and again, why should Apple compete with Microsoft on every level? Microsoft is not competing with Apple on every level.



    And servers are only used as groupware servers? You don't have to have an all-Apple server room, and most groupware products have Mac or web clients - plus products like Ximbra is on Mac OS X Server now.



    Quote:

    Originally posted by hmurchison

    My respect for Apple diminishes everytime they do this. I gotta wonder about when the wheels fall off next time...will Apple recover. They're currently coasting on other peoples work (iTunes selling music owned by 3rd parties).



    What a pessimist you are (and I just know you'll answer that you are a realist).
  • Reply 14 of 43
    pages 2 sounds great.

    mail merge

    basic calculations in table.

    bezlier curves

    user comments



    Satisfies my shortcomings with pages 1.0



    Personally I think there will never be a numbers program as spreadsheets are dinosaurs. "Modern spreadsheet" is an oxymoron. Everone keep lamenting a modern productivity suite but spread sheets are from the dark ages. If you want to do anything more complex than a few basic calculations you probqably should be using filemaker.



    Now I can have my "spreadsheet" and text in the same document!!!!! hoooooray

    really what is everyone complaining about. If your requirments are that specific Go use Word. I write specifications hundreds + pages and pages works great. I can even open the file accross and internet network and have a responsive file. Do that in Word and it is treacle.



    So what features are you guys/gals missing that your life falls into a heap if they are not in Pages? What about the features/usability that Pages has that Word can only dream of. You all sound like a bunch of whinny weasles.



    BTW if you dont know what and oxymoron is highlight it and contol click to see a dictionary definition. oh I forgot you cant do that in word.
  • Reply 15 of 43
    frank777frank777 Posts: 5,773member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by Aussie John

    Personally I think there will never be a numbers program as spreadsheets are dinosaurs. "Modern spreadsheet" is an oxymoron. Everone keep lamenting a modern productivity suite but spread sheets are from the dark ages. If you want to do anything more complex than a few basic calculations you probqably should be using filemaker.



    I've been using Filemaker since version 2, so I know you have no idea what you're talking about.



    What program do you use on the Mac if you want to whip up a quick budget for a home or business project?



    What about if you want to do basic project management of any kind?



    What if you want to itemize and categorize a set of business expenses and send it to someone else at another office?



    Filemaker can be used for these the way the base of a screwdriver can be used as a hammer.
  • Reply 16 of 43
    Quote:

    Originally posted by Frank777





    What program do you use on the Mac if you want to whip up a quick budget for a home or business project?





    What about if you want to do basic project management of any kind?



    What if you want to itemize and categorize a set of business expenses and send it to someone else at another office?





    Since pages does tables and table with calculations you can use that.

    Yes pages for interoperablity with non pages users is not a strong point.

    I am not sure excel is that great for project managment uses. Try Merlin - looks great.
  • Reply 17 of 43
    What is strange about Excel, is that most people in the office don't use it for numbers. They use it to create forms, manage timelines, throw a bunch on info into a la database, but I've never seen a spreadsheet in our office that just consists of managing numbers. I'm sure financial firms use Excel as an actual spreadsheet for numbers, but my office doesn't. Excel is some weird mutant table layout program.



    All that said I absolutely adore Pages, and Pages 2 only looks better.
  • Reply 18 of 43
    telomartelomar Posts: 1,804member
    Excel's mutant features are what makes it nearly impossible to replace though. It is so useful in so many fields that basically everybody ends up using it. By the looks of it Office 12 will only improve it further too.
  • Reply 19 of 43
    Quote:

    Originally posted by Mr Beardsley

    What is strange about Excel, is that most people in the office don't use it for numbers. They use it to create forms, manage timelines, throw a bunch on info into a la database, but I've never seen a spreadsheet in our office that just consists of managing numbers. I'm sure financial firms use Excel as an actual spreadsheet for numbers, but my office doesn't. Excel is some weird mutant table layout program.



    All that said I absolutely adore Pages, and Pages 2 only looks better.




    In my experience, people who have gone to business school tend to use Excel for freaking everything. Even things like laying out scripts, which are almost impossible to deal with.
  • Reply 20 of 43
    Quote:

    Originally posted by Nautical

    No spreadsheet application. I must admit I thought that was a given this time around.



    This year's MacWorld was focused on two things:



    1) Providing people with a digital ecosystem (i.e. iPod, iTunes Music Store, iLife, .mac) they can use to express/share themselves.



    2) Unveil the first Intel powered Macs and announce the transition, hardware and software, will be completed by the end of the year.



    but I still think a spreadsheet application, and maybe a database app/front-end, will be added to iWork '06 and demonstrated at WWDC2006. With iLife out of the way Steve will have time to demonstrate the new app(s) and also how Keynote and Pages work seamlessly with them.



    For the people that purchased iWork '06 prior to the updated suite Apple will either allow them to exchange their disk and pay the difference for a new disk, or they can purchase an "upgrade" disk that contains the new app(s), but they will have to have Pages 2.x or Keynote 3.x on the computer for the install to complete.
Sign In or Register to comment.