No more Firewire 800!

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
O'Grady had it reversed. The MacBook Pro lost Firewire 800. Not 400.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 25
    19841984 Posts: 955member
    It also appears that PCMCIA has been dropped in favor of ExpressCard 34.
  • Reply 2 of 25
    iqatedoiqatedo Posts: 1,824member
    Quote:

Originally posted by 1984

O'Grady had it reversed. The MacBook Pro lost Firewire 800. Not 400.

Noticed that. FW400 still more useful to me but I also have FW800 drives.

Enjoy the fun today/tonight/this morning?

• Reply 3 of 25
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    What the heck is ExpressCard?

And why drop FW800?
  • Reply 4 of 25
    The ExpressCard/34 slot means that you can not use it for a CF reader anymore (not physically wide enough), which is a huge pain in the ass. It is, however, a 1x PCI express slot.

My best guess is Apple was trying to save space and opted for the more popular FW 400 over the more functional FW 800, which is a huge shame. I'm hoping when(if) the 17 returns we will see FW 800 return, or possibly an Express/54 slot that will be more functional.

In the meantime I expect we will see a FW800 ExpressCard from the aftermarket fairly shortly.
  • Reply 5 of 25
    19841984 Posts: 955member
    Here is what has been lost:

Firewire 800

Internal Modem

S-Video

PCMCIA

8x DVD

Anything else? Sheesh.
  • Reply 6 of 25
    Yeah, the Superdrive writes at 4x and read at least 8X.

Did it read at 8x before? Or 16x?
  • Reply 7 of 25
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    Who cares about that crap that few will use.

The Macbooks give me another core which helps me run apps that I need. I consider a fair deal.

Expresscard is the nextgen PCMCIA replacement so if you have to have FW800, Svideo outs, you can grab a future card.

I'm pretty pleased with the Macbooks. They have what most will need at an affordable price.
  • Reply 8 of 25
    jasonfjjasonfj Posts: 567member
    Why would they downgrade the DVD burner?

and I still find the internal modem useful on my powerbook - there's plenty of times I can't get an airport signal or high-speed access. Another thing to forget to pack...
  • Reply 9 of 25
    arty50arty50 Posts: 201member
    Maybe they dropped FW800 because Intel doesn't have support for it yet. We know that Intel makes boards with FW400 suppport. Anything with FW800 support?
  • Reply 10 of 25
    Quote:

Originally posted by jasonfj

and I still find the internal modem useful on my powerbook - there's plenty of times I can't get an airport signal or high-speed access. Another thing to forget to pack...

Yes, that's somewhat disappointing, but they have that external modem which is fairly small and portable.

The downgrade in the DVD burner speed is more disappointing.
  • Reply 11 of 25
    Quote:

Who said they downgraded the burner? The current Powerbook line that is still on the Apple Store site only have an 8x Superdrive.
  • Reply 12 of 25
    jasonfjjasonfj Posts: 567member
    That was 8x burn. These are 4x burn. Are the new drives Dual Layer or did that get lost too?
  • Reply 13 of 25
    Quote:

That was 8x burn. These are 4x burn. Are the new drives Dual Layer or did that get lost too?

Yea... I misread something right before I posted that. Sorry. That is interesting that they would have dropped the speed. That does not make sense unless they are still going to push the current Powerbook line pretty hard.
  • Reply 14 of 25
    my gosh, dropping all that stuff... and the price is still the same!

Hopefully some of it will come back with a revision. But seriously, at least on the 17", at least...
  • Reply 15 of 25
    Never mind!!!
  • Reply 16 of 25
    Quote:

Originally posted by Ichiban_jay

my gosh, dropping all that stuff... and the price is still the same!

Hopefully some of it will come back with a revision. But seriously, at least on the 17", at least...

I'm a bit perplexed by the lack of a DL burner. However not many will miss Svideo outputs. With a DVI output you have the ability to plug into just about every HDTV out there and with the proper adapter support legacy devices. Laptop space is premium for connectivity.

I'm not overly concerned with the lack of a modem. I haven't used one in years and if you find yourself in an area where there's nothing but dialup...perhaps it's time to shut the computer down for a bit and relax cuz you're certainly not in the city.
  • Reply 17 of 25
    synpsynp Posts: 248member
    Quote:

Originally posted by hmurchison

I'm not overly concerned with the lack of a modem. I haven't used one in years and if you find yourself in an area where there's nothing but dialup...perhaps it's time to shut the computer down for a bit and relax cuz you're certainly not in the city. [/B]

1. Sometimes you just need to read your email.

2. Modems are very useful for faxing. Fax machines are still very much in use, and being able to fax from the computer (and receive faxes) is sometimes a must.
  • Reply 18 of 25
    Quote:

Originally posted by synp

1. Sometimes you just need to read your email.

2. Modems are very useful for faxing. Fax machines are still very much in use, and being able to fax from the computer (and receive faxes) is sometimes a must.

That's true. I wish Apple would have included the modem but it's probably more of a philosophical issue rather than a cost issue.

Apple needs to ship more of the USB modems though. They're hard to get.
  • Reply 19 of 25
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    So far I've only had a few minutes to review the new portable. Doesn't look that bad to me. Frankly I can't see the reasoning behind some of the complaints here, in many cases what has been "lost" has in reality been replaced with something better.

For things like Firewire, yeah FW800 would have been nice but I'm thinking that this might be a chip set issue. I'm not sure at the moment what chip set is being used but it might have FW400 integrated. As others have pointed out the express slot should be able to handle a FW800 expansion card at full data rate. In the end this "feature" is something I have mixed feelings about, I honestly believe that more atractive avenue would be to add more USB ports to any portable.

As to the burner well lets just say that I preferr reliable to speed so I'm not concerned there.

Like all things Apple the only thing that will hold me back is the wait for feedback from early adopters. I know enough to ignore the marketing claims about speed and such. Instead I want solid feedback on the units quality and reliability, which I figure a couple of months should provide.

Dave
  • Reply 20 of 25
    mimacmimac Posts: 872member
    You would expect to see an internal modem on any portable, so yes, this is disappointing. The real bummer is the Superdrive downgrade and DL would be a real bonus. FW800 is very useful if you use a good external HD for video work.

So here's the real question... when can we expect the next revision?