No more Firewire 800!

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 25
    Quote:

Originally posted by hmurchison

I'm a bit perplexed by the lack of a DL burner.

My suspicion is that the DL burners are slightly thicker and would not fit in the slimmer enclosure of the MacBook.

Similarly, Apple may have decided that dual-layer media is going to be supplanted by HD DVD or Blu-ray anyway, and so this was a sacrifice they were willing to make on a "transitional" machine.
  • Reply 22 of 25
    jasonfjjasonfj Posts: 568member
    Quote:

Originally posted by BrunoBruin

My suspicion is that the DL burners are slightly thicker and would not fit in the slimmer enclosure of the MacBook.

Similarly, Apple may have decided that dual-layer media is going to be supplanted by HD DVD or Blu-ray anyway, and so this was a sacrifice they were willing to make on a "transitional" machine.

good point - blu-ray should be along by the next rev
  • Reply 23 of 25
    Quote:

Originally posted by hmurchison

I'm a bit perplexed by the lack of a DL burner. However not many will miss Svideo outputs. With a DVI output you have the ability to plug into just about every HDTV out there and with the proper adapter support legacy devices. Laptop space is premium for connectivity.

I'm not overly concerned with the lack of a modem. I haven't used one in years and if you find yourself in an area where there's nothing but dialup...perhaps it's time to shut the computer down for a bit and relax cuz you're certainly not in the city.

Not all of us have HDTVs. I don't watch much TV and the one I have has only S Video and RCA plugs. I'm up a creek if my computer has only DVI out.

Apple has, for a long time, assumed that Mac users do not plug their Macs into TVs for any reason at all. It's a stupid assumption and adds yet another stupid adaptor (if you're lucky to find one).

It's the details that Apple always screws up. Concept is always perfect, but execution is almost always substandard.
  • Reply 24 of 25
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,431member
    because you haven't purchased a new TV in years doesn't mean Apple has to coddle you.

They've provided ports relevant to today and on into the future yet have provided enough upgradability for most people to meet their needs.
  • Reply 25 of 25
    progmacprogmac Posts: 1,850member
    losing the modem was stupid. yeah, modems suck and no pros use them on a regular basis, but every pro is regularly in a situation where they need a modem...especially in the US, where lots of places don't even have broadband, much less people connected to it. a weekend at the parents, a cabin somewhere, or whatever, all would warrant a modem connection.

yeah, like someone said, the external modem is just one more thing to forget.