MacBook Pro... Where's the Power?

Comments

• Reply 21 of 94
    jlljll Posts: 2,713member
    Quote:

Originally posted by 1984

People traveling (the ideal laptop market) don't want to carry around extra dongles and crap that will only get lost.

I hope they don't need power then

But seriously, since there is a market for laptop mice, USB lights, USB fans and so on, it doesn't seem to be a problem adding one extra thing in your bag.
  • Reply 22 of 94
    Quote:

Originally posted by e1618978

It is 8x read, 4x write - is this different from before?

Slot-loading SuperDrive (DVD?RW/CD-RW)

* Maximum Write: 4x DVD-R, DVD+R, DVD+RW, and DVD-RW; 24x CD-R; 10x CD-RW

* Maximum Read: 8x DVD-ROM (single layer); 6x DVD (double layered), DVD-9, DVD-R, DVD+R, DVD-RW, DVD+RW; 24x CD

Unless Apple's page is wrong, the Superdrive is single layer, not dual layer like the PowerBooks. \
  • Reply 23 of 94
    pmjoepmjoe Posts: 565member
    Quote:

Originally posted by JLL

Then add the optional modem. You can get a modem cable for free - I have at least 100 of them.

There is no optional modem. A $2500 laptop with no modem. You show up at the hotel having forgot your modem, and they've got plenty of phone cables to loan you, but without a modem you're screwed. Having forgotten my VGA adapter on my last trip, this is heading downhill fast. Can't plug into an S-Video display either. Basically if you show up anywhere outside of a major metro area (with an Apple store) without your extra dongles, cables and junk, you're screwed.
  • Reply 24 of 94
    jlljll Posts: 2,713member
    Quote:

Originally posted by a_greer

A. Some places do not allow cameras or mics.

Every Mac has a microphone.

Quote:

C. pros have better cameras if needed

You're not supposed to take pictures with it

Quote:

What happends if the power adadpter plug is set on top of the keyboard while it is being set up? what if the magnet clings to the bopttom of the ALUMINUM body or a component within in transport?

hmm...magnet, Mr meet hard disk!

They probably didn't think of that.
  • Reply 25 of 94
    kedakeda Posts: 722member
    Quote:

Originally posted by e1618978

It is 8x read, 4x write - is this different from before?

Slot-loading SuperDrive (DVD±RW/CD-RW)

* Maximum Read: 8x DVD-ROM (single layer); 6x DVD (double layered), DVD-9, DVD-R, DVD+R, DVD-RW, DVD+RW; 24x CD

This guy has it right, there is no change in the ComboDrive. This is a case of Apple marketing the old drive as 8x. But here is what it says on the PowerBook G4 Spec page:

8x SuperDrive (DVD+R DL/DVD±RW/CD-RW)

So, do you think that this 8x designation applied to all functions? No, it looks like Apple is giving more detail about the drives capabilities on the new page. People are over-reacting.

As for the rest of the complaints....

The modem should be BTO, but a USB unit is easy enough to stick into your laptop bag. FWIW, I have a 12" PB and can't remember the last time I dialed on my modem (3yrs?). Most hotels have wireless now. If I'm forced to use a cable, I feel like I'm slumming.

Also, as a 12" owner, I have used an S-video adapter to connect to a TV on the few occasions that I used the feature. This is a real small issue. I'm sure Apple did market research before making this move. C'mon...really....how often do you use the S-Video connection?

And the Power Cord is just plain cool. Whoever the nimrod is that was bonding with his PC buddy and thought it would erase disks should wake up. Do you really think Apple wouldn't have tested this significant aspect of the MagSafe? I'd say they did, since they went to the trouble of including 'safe' in the name. Can you imagine the public outcry if every MacBook Power cable began to erase disks. LOL. Face it...its cool as hell.

As for the name...

It just doesn't roll off your tongue. I've been saying PowerBook for so long.
  • Reply 26 of 94
    Quote:

Originally posted by pmjoe

There is no optional modem. A $2500 laptop with no modem. You show up at the hotel having forgot your modem, and they've got plenty of phone cables to loan you, but without a modem you're screwed. Having forgotten my VGA adapter on my last trip, this is heading downhill fast. Can't plug into an S-Video display either. Basically if you show up anywhere outside of a major metro area (with an Apple store) without your extra dongles, cables and junk, you're screwed.

There will probably be a modem available for the Express Card/34 slot. Buy one. Slam it in and leave it in. OR....

get your $h!4 together and check your laptop bag before leaving on an important trip to make sure you have everything.

gc
  • Reply 27 of 94
    telomartelomar Posts: 1,804member
    Quote:

Originally posted by pmjoe

There is no optional modem.

Apple sells a USB modem adaptor. I expect people that use modems are also now in the minority.
  • Reply 28 of 94
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Quote:

Originally posted by JLL

But seriously, since there is a market for laptop mice, USB lights, USB fans and so on, it doesn't seem to be a problem adding one extra thing in your bag.

Nonsense. The internal modem should stay there. The floppy drive too. Ooops.
  • Reply 29 of 94
    I am so pissed off!! I've had a PB 1.67 since August and NOW they come out with something new???

Just kidding.

I love the digital audio in/out option. I work in audio so that's kick arse!

Don't need a modem - nice to see that you can add one though if that's a requirement.

Only thing I'm interested in finding out is the FW target mode. That, and *when* all the universal binaries will be out.

Looking forward to reading benchmarks for these puppies, hopefully including Rosetta emulation speeds for popular apps as well.

This move is really exciting to me! Finally, a roadmap with potential. Woohoo!
  • Reply 30 of 94
    mr. hmr. h Posts: 4,870member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Keda

This guy has it right, there is no change in the ComboDrive. This is a case of Apple marketing the old drive as 8x. But here is what it says on the PowerBook G4 Spec page:

8x SuperDrive (DVD+R DL/DVD±RW/CD-RW)

So, do you think that this 8x designation applied to all functions? No, it looks like Apple is giving more detail about the drives capabilities on the new page. People are over-reacting.

No, what you mean is, the guy you quoted is right, the Superdrive specs for the MacBook Pro are worse than for the PowerBook.

The PowerBook G4 can write to single-layer DVDs at up to 8x, and can also burn dual-layer +R media. The MacBook Pro drive can only burn up to 4x, and only single-layer media. It sucks.

Quote:

What happends if the power adadpter plug is set on top of the keyboard while it is being set up? what if the magnet clings to the bopttom of the ALUMINUM body or a component within in transport?

hmm...magnet, Mr meet hard disk!

Aluminium is not magnetic. Also, as another poster said, it's almost certainly the port rather than the cable plug that has the magnet in it.
  • Reply 31 of 94
    imiloaimiloa Posts: 187member
    re: Superdrive comparison, stats below from Apple site today. PB drive is definitely better. Probably Apple quietly cutting component costs to maintain margin with the new chips. Remember that the G4 has been out for a while, so is probably much cheaper than the spanking new dual-core Yonahs.

Macbook:

Powerbook:

* 8x SuperDrive (DVD+R DL/DVD±RW/CD-RW)

* Burns DVDs at up to 8x

* Burns audio CDs at up to 24x

* Burns data CDs (CD-RW) at up to 16x
  • Reply 32 of 94
    telomartelomar Posts: 1,804member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Mr. H

Aluminium is not magnetic.

It can be. Aluminium glass is used in some very interesting magnetic experiments.

Before you go Aluminium glass? WTF! Are you mad? It is a metal! Anything can be made into glass. You liquify it then quench by spraying onto a very cold spinning cylinder. Glass science, it's a beautiful thing Completely off topic but I just thought I'd mention it
  • Reply 33 of 94
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Lorre

My guess is only the connector on the Macbook itself is magnetic, and not the plug on the power adapter.

This way I really can't see a lot of issues, except perhaps with external harddisks, but even then...

Great point, I guess I forgot that only one end needs to be polarizes...DO'H

Exitement blocking common sence.

Thanks
  • Reply 34 of 94
    onitonit Posts: 44member
    Oh to be one of you that doesn't use a modem. Sure, on biz trips I don't use it but every time I go to the country with my wife it's indispensable. Oh yeah, how do you expect to receive FAXES without it? I don't often, but it happens.

Last thing I sometimes travel to countries where almost NOBODY has highspeed .
  • Reply 35 of 94
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    OK, so those of you who want a modem will have an extra thing to carry, but, come on. It's not as if except for the damn modem you get to just carry a naked laptop around and never have to remember anything.

Same goes for a DVI to S cable. If you plan to use your G4 laptop for presentations in places where you can't be sure what's on hand, at a minimum you'll be toting a power supply, a VGA cable, DVI to VGA adapter, an S cable, composite cable, mini to double RCA cable, maybe an extra battery or two, probably a USB presenter remote. Anything less and you run the risk of getting caught short. Honestly, you should probably be carrying your own projector, given what some people have on hand.

The idea that you show up somewhere where they only have an S input display and you're screwed because you forgot your DVI to S adapter is no more a kick in the head than showing up where they only have a VGA in on their projector but no cables and you didn't bring any.

The reality is that with the slew of stuff that you need to carry to be really sure you've got it covered adding in a cable and a USB modem isn't exactly a crushing burden.
  • Reply 36 of 94
    tubgirltubgirl Posts: 177member
    Quote:

Originally posted by 1984

People traveling (the ideal laptop market) don't want to carry around extra dongles and crap that will only get lost.

so, you want a built in wireless modem...? :P
  • Reply 37 of 94
    outsideroutsider Posts: 6,008member
    Quote:

Firewire 800

S-Video

Internal Modem

PCMCIA

8x DVD

Firewire 800 - Not cool but they've been slowly phasing out Firewire in favor of USB technologies, i. e. iPods. Expect this to happen with all the lines. Apple may also have inside knowledge on future peripheral connection technologies from inside Intel.

S-Video - Can't say I'll lose any sleep or shed any tears over this one. Any particular reason this matters?

Internal Modem - What's a modem? Oh that. Honestly selling it for $50 is pretty silly. They should include it with all laptops like they do with the DVI/VGA adapters, but oh well. Including it internally is like going back to the floppy.

PCMCIA - What they replaced this with is an order of magnitude better.

8x DVD - This is perplexing. I hope it's a mistake in the spec page an will be fixed soon. Especially if this is the eventual replacement for the PB G4. This is just not cool.
  • Reply 38 of 94
    With Apple hyping the power of the newer processors and noting they run cooler, it's odd that they left out the expected battery usage times in the specifications. They've also upped the AC adapter to 85W (from 65W), so I wonder just how long these new laptops will run on a charge?
  • Reply 39 of 94
    e1618978e1618978 Posts: 6,075member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Telomar

It can be. Aluminium glass is used in some very interesting magnetic experiments.

Before you go Aluminium glass? WTF! Are you mad? It is a metal! Anything can be made into glass. You liquify it then quench by spraying onto a very cold spinning cylinder. Glass science, it's a beautiful thing Completely off topic but I just thought I'd mention it

Would that be transparent aluminum, like from Star Trek V (the one with the whales)?
  • Reply 40 of 94
    I am waiting for the 2GHz 17" modem including MacBooks later in Summer ; )