MacBook Pro... Where's the Power?

Comments

• Reply 41 of 94
    kcmackcmac Posts: 1,051member
    Quote:

Originally posted by pmjoe

There is no optional modem. A $2500 laptop with no modem. You show up at the hotel having forgot your modem, and they've got plenty of phone cables to loan you, but without a modem you're screwed. Having forgotten my VGA adapter on my last trip, this is heading downhill fast. Can't plug into an S-Video display either. Basically if you show up anywhere outside of a major metro area (with an Apple store) without your extra dongles, cables and junk, you're screwed.

Where is it you stay exactly?

I travel every week. I don't stay anywhere expensive. Hampton Inns, etc. Nearly everything is wireless. At the very least, they have ethernet. Maybe you should look around a little.
  • Reply 42 of 94
    telomartelomar Posts: 1,804member
    Nope not transparent and I never saw Star Trek V so I have no idea about that.
  • Reply 43 of 94
    Quote:

Originally posted by e1618978

Would that be transparent aluminum, like from Star Trek V (the one with the whales)?

That would be Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home. Where Scotty tries to talk into the mouse of... what was it, a Macintosh SE?

Also the one with the "nuclear... wessels". Heheheheh.

[/nerrrrd]
  • Reply 44 of 94
    Actually, I think a type of transparent aluminum was invented a year or so ago.
  • Reply 45 of 94
    m01etym01ety Posts: 278member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Kabeyun

Not that I'm griping either, but anyone know what happened to the last 60 pixels of vertical resolution? The 15" AlBook has a 1440 x 960 screen, but the new 15" MacBook Pro has a 1440 x 900 screen. The new video card? Intel "limitations"? Whatever the reason, it's a bummer to pay more and lose screen resolution.

Quote:

Originally posted by Jootec from Mars

The iSight took up the extra 60 pixels.

Um, no. The new screen is 15.4". The old screen was 15.2". Hence the difference.
  • Reply 46 of 94
    Quote:

Originally posted by m01ety

Um, no. The new screen is 15.4". The old screen was 15.2". Hence the difference.

Well, one would think that a bigger screen might have more pixels, not less, right?
  • Reply 47 of 94
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Quote:

Originally posted by auslander

Well, one would think that a bigger screen might have more pixels, not less, right?

I think it is the whole iSight mechanism that takes up space.
  • Reply 48 of 94
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Quote:

Originally posted by imiloa

Remember that the G4 has been out for a while, so is probably much cheaper than the spanking new dual-core Yonahs.

Probably? Most certainly I would say. People had (and still have) the unreasonable expectation of price drops with the switch, ignoring the fact that the new Intel CPUs are (much?) more expensive than the old PPC.
  • Reply 49 of 94
    Quote:

Originally posted by PB

Probably? Most certainly I would say. People had (and still have) the unreasonable expectation of price drops with the switch, ignoring the fact that the new Intel CPUs are (much?) more expensive than the old PPC.

I completely agree... I've been telling my friends that prices will go up, not down! But no, they wouldn't believe me...
  • Reply 50 of 94
    They're moving away from the word "Power", aren't they?

My Windows-using brother thought this up, I was trying to get MacBook Pro to sink in.

Downgrade to FW400 is alarming.

Edit: Power = PowerPC. But if they replace "Power" with "Mac", then PowerMacs will be... MacMacs!
  • Reply 51 of 94
    I don't think the MacBook Pro is supposed to replace the Powerbooks just yet. I think it's supposed to be a new product for the time being and slowly they'll phase out the powerbooks. I mean, the macbook comes in just one size, seems to have fewer features (with the exception of a built in camera) and costs about the same. It's main advantage is that it possibly runs software that nobody has yet 4-5 times faster. Obviously for a lot of people, buying a G4 Powerbook right now is probably still a better option. Maybe in a year or so they'll stop selling the Powerbooks, but for the meantime they're going to live side by side.
  • Reply 52 of 94
    Some of you guys are absurd. Complaining about lack of a Modem... more then 50% of the USA has broadband now... any civilized place (no the hillbillies in indiana do not count as civilized) will have some type of Wireless connection. If you are a power user that needs constant connection anyway, you'd have some type of cell phone card with your cell for your computer.

I'm really impressed by the specs of this new book, so impressed I might sell my Gateway laptop I bought a few months ago to get this, my only hesitation is that it's the first revision, and I know how that goes.

Alot of the comments in here are petty, complaining about an optical drive and FW800... big deal. They up the processing power 2 - 4 times and you still complain about the damn laptop.

As to battery times, I'd venture to guess that since this is a real mobile PC compared to the G4, that battery times will vary greatly depending on use, given that it can shut off the 2nd core when nessacery or even slow both down. I'd say you could realistticlly guess around the same times as the old Centrino laptops.
  • Reply 53 of 94
    outsideroutsider Posts: 6,008member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Shalmaneser

That would be Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home. Where Scotty tries to talk into the mouse of... what was it, a Macintosh SE?

Also the one with the "nuclear... wessels". Heheheheh.

[/nerrrrd]

It was a Mac Plus
  • Reply 54 of 94
    Quote:

Originally posted by Outsider

It was a Mac Plus

"Computer...? Com-PU-ter...?"
  • Reply 55 of 94
    targontargon Posts: 103member
    Quote:

Originally posted by JLL

I hope they don't need power then

But seriously, since there is a market for laptop mice, USB lights, USB fans and so on, it doesn't seem to be a problem adding one extra thing in your bag.

Well if that is the case, then Apple needn't build in a Camera, people will have plenty of room in their bags for an iSight camera!!! <grimaces>

Do you ever disagree with anything Apple does or have any thing negative to say about some of these absurd stunts Apple pulls on us?

I still think the 'Crapbook Semi-Pro' is a cruel joke. Remove 4 major components an charge us 800 AUD more. The additional power is useless if we cannot use it in the way we used the Powerbooks!!
  • Reply 56 of 94
    Quote:

Originally posted by scavanger

Some of you guys are absurd. Complaining about lack of a Modem... more then 50% of the USA has broadband now... any civilized place (no the hillbillies in indiana do not count as civilized) will have some type of Wireless connection. If you are a power user that needs constant connection anyway, you'd have some type of cell phone card with your cell for your computer.

50% is not 100% which means alot of ppl still have use for the modem. Please, stop thinking the world = the USA, we don't all live there nor would i ever personally want too. Statistically the population in the USA is only about 240 mill, there are more than 3 times that in India alone!!

Some ppl actually travel with their PB's to remote places where a phone line is all that exists. DSL can go out for some users and many ISP' offer a free dial up backup service, why would anyone want to use their cell fone at ridiculous prices to hook up when they can use their free dialup service?

The modem is useful as a backup for many ppl. I accept the modem is not used as the number 1 connection type for most of the population, merely as a backup, but there are some ppl who cannot get DSL or cable. In fact just recently i was caught in a tropical cyclone, my DSL was out for a week and the entire cellular network was out as well, being in a remote area i had no other way to contact family to let them know i was still alive, luckily the phone line was still operational an luckily i could use my Powerbooks built in modem to get online and find out where the dangerous flooding zones were and to contact home (didn't have a hand set for phone calls either).

Besides this, i have travelled to many parts of the world and stayed with friends who did not have broadband connections, again the internal modem was needed.

I am already forced to carry other devices in my already jam packed laptop bag due to Apple not providing enough USB ports and because they supply an inadequate amount of voltage to certain USB ports. For Apple to remove more components, charge us more for the machine + charge us for adapters to use the once built in components is a serious kick in the face IMO.

This new machine is an Aluminum iBook nothing more.
  • Reply 57 of 94
    jlljll Posts: 2,713member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Targon

Do you ever disagree with anything Apple does or have any thing negative to say about some of these absurd stunts Apple pulls on us?

I just don't care about using an adapter or not.

Quote:

I still think the 'Crapbook Semi-Pro' is a cruel joke. Remove 4 major components an charge us 800 AUD more. The additional power is useless if we cannot use it in the way we used the Powerbooks!!

I guess you said the same thing about the removal of the floppy?
  • Reply 58 of 94
    Quote:

Originally posted by JLL

I just don't care about using an adapter or not.

I guess you said the same thing about the removal of the floppy?

No but i did have a cry when they removed SCSI, in fact that still pisses me to no end, same with the loss of 3 PCI slots (G3's) an then ultimately PCI entirely.
  • Reply 59 of 94
    Quote:

50% is not 100% which means alot of ppl still have use for the modem. Please, stop thinking the world = the USA, we don't all live there nor would i ever personally want too. Statistically the population in the USA is only about 240 mill, there are more than 3 times that in India alone!!

Actually, the USA is notoriously the worst place for broadband internet. In particular, a lot of developing nations that are just beginning to get lots of infrastructures have broadband internet and cellphone towers, but no regular phone lines. One of my friend's husbands is from Cambodia, and before they were married he could only call her through the internet.

In developed nations, we're certainly the least connected.
  • Reply 60 of 94
    zozo Posts: 3,117member
    I WANT INTERNAL FREAKING MODEM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

DAMN YOU APPLE!!!

Dont freaking pull a "no floppy drive' on us with Modems!!!

While in America you may find Wifi everywhere as in Europe... the point of a LAPTOP is to be able to TRAVEL!!!! This is a PRO piece of equipment, not a damn iBook!!!!!

I've been to Africa, Middle East, country sides, etc... and I DO NOT WANT to go around with damn adapters which will INEVITABLY get lost!!!!!!