Apple releases Mac OS X 10.4.4 Update

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Apple today released Mac OS X 10.4.4 Update, which delivers overall improved reliability and compatibility for Mac OS X v10.4 and is recommended for all users.

In a brief set of release notes, Apple said the software update includes fixes for:SMB/CIFS and NFS network file services

Bluetooth wireless access

Core Graphics, Core Audio, Core Image, RAW camera support, including updated ATI and NVIDIA graphics drivers

Spotlight indexing and searching

AppleScript, iChat, DVD Player, and Safari applications

Dashboard widgets: Calendar and Stocks

Software Update and Sync Services

compatibility with USB and FireWire devices and third party applications

previous standalone security updates

The software weighs in at 27.6 MB in Delta update form. More detailed information on the Mac OS X 10.4.4 Update is available in an Apple Knowledge Base article

Earlier today, Apple also announced that Mac OS X 10.4.4 for Intel is shipping on the first Intel iMacs.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 48
    Does this finally fix the Safari Bookmarks not updating via iSync? This has been broken since April in otherwords since 10.4 came.
  • Reply 2 of 48
    uh... it's been working for me since... well, since forever
  • Reply 3 of 48
    quevarquevar Posts: 101member
    My bookmark syncing stopped working sometime in the past two weeks. Not sure what happened to it. Maybe this update will fix it.
  • Reply 4 of 48
    The new widgets are really nice.
  • Reply 5 of 48
    awillawill Posts: 43member
    Anyone having any problems yet with the update?
  • Reply 6 of 48
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    All the updates went like butter, and QT and itunes are "teh snappy (TM)".

Video playback in itunes is really solid now, a lot of bugs are worked out.
  • Reply 7 of 48
    No problems at all, and a much smaller filesize than I had expected.
  • Reply 8 of 48
    Why did they change the Calendar widget? I liked the old one better.
  • Reply 9 of 48
    i upgraded from 10.4.2

solid so far... most everything seems a bit snappier
  • Reply 10 of 48
    No problems here.

Having to re-arrange my dashboard widgets though to suit the different shape of Apple's Calendar. What a chore!

Wonder when someone's going to get 10.4.4 working on generic hardware. The race is on.
  • Reply 11 of 48
    Quote:

Originally posted by ROCjetblue320

The new widgets are really nice.

Yup. Calendar is perfect. I just wish ESPN did Soccer!
  • Reply 12 of 48
    pmjoepmjoe Posts: 565member
    There were also updates to iTunes, QuickTime, some kind of a 15" PowerBook Battery update (other PowerBooks?), and an iPod Updater.
  • Reply 13 of 48
    Ok, the Calendar widget is nice and all... black is much preferred over red... but seriously, do we need 1.5-2 inch date numbers on our dashboard?!

And there was no increased functionality. humpf. I was hoping to at least see a drop-down iCal to do or events or something...

sheesh.

• Reply 14 of 48
    Quote:

Originally posted by pmjoe

There were also updates to iTunes, QuickTime, some kind of a 15" PowerBook Battery update (other PowerBooks?), and an iPod Updater.

I have a 12" PB and there is no battery update. =(
  • Reply 15 of 48
    The line through the date on the Calendar widget seems pointless. I'm assuming it's there to "flip" to the next day when the date changes, but who's really going to be looking at their widget when that happens?
  • Reply 16 of 48
    Has anyone noticed changes in the way some elements look -- for example, the menu bar?

Also, has anyone noticed a glitch in the menu bar, around the Spotlight icon? See my weblog entry about this.
  • Reply 17 of 48
    Quote:

Originally posted by antiorario

Has anyone noticed changes in the way some elements look -- for example, the menu bar?

Also, has anyone noticed a glitch in the menu bar, around the Spotlight icon? See my weblog entry about this.

Mine's like that too. Were you running Iridium before the update? I thought it might be that.
  • Reply 18 of 48
    Quote:

Originally posted by aegisdesign

Mine's like that too. Were you running Iridium before the update? I thought it might be that.

Alright, it's totally my bad. How could I forget Iridium? I also updated my weblog and covered my head with ash.
  • Reply 19 of 48
    Quote:

Originally posted by Mac Write

Does this finally fix the Safari Bookmarks not updating via iSync? This has been broken since April in otherwords since 10.4 came.

My bookmarks will sync, but it wants to duplicate all of them! I also hope this fixes that.
  • Reply 20 of 48
    zozo Posts: 3,117member
    for Sync problems:

Try RESETTING Sync. In Preferences, go to Advanced and reset one from the other or whatever

I hadnt done that since I started using Sync years ago.. and then I got so fed up of Contact duplicates, bookmark errors and crap like that that I made a "master" copy on my Mac, and reset .Mac from my Mac... and now everythings been good.