Running Windows

Comments

• Reply 41 of 63
    shanmugamshanmugam Posts: 1,200member
    any one had success with XP? or have to wait until Vista to support EFI?
  • Reply 42 of 63
    pbg4 dudepbg4 dude Posts: 1,611member
    Quote:

Originally posted by shanmugam

any one had success with XP? or have to wait until Vista to support EFI?

Believe me, you'll know it once someone is successful.

So far Vista has the most promise because it supports EFI. The trick will be getting the installer to boot. So far the only success has been the Vista "Press any key to continue" screen to appear.
  • Reply 43 of 63
    nofeernofeer Posts: 2,427member
  • Reply 44 of 63
    Have you seen this yet? It looks like the stakes are going up....

http://winxponmac.com/The%20Contest.html

almost 6,000 dollars so far...
  • Reply 45 of 63
    coreycorey Posts: 165member
    Personally I am worried that Windows on a Mac or a fast version of Virtual PC could be a bad thing. Back when the Amiga came out, Commodore fans hailed it as the second coming because it could run various OS's. The problem was that Amiga users were almost ALWAYS running another OS because a lot of software companies got cheap/lazy and figured, "why bother making an Amiga OS version, Amiga owners can just use use another OS version."
  • Reply 46 of 63
    Is that point really valid when OS X is superior to Windows? This gives people more incentive to buy a Mac. For once you can run the newest games and the most stable/secure operating system. Then more developers code for OS X because of the larger installed base. It's a win win situation in my eyes.
  • Reply 47 of 63
    IMHO, the best solution is a virtual machine (VMWare, Virtual PC etc) to run Windows on top of Mac OS X, so you don't have to boot the machine, just to run a Win app.

I sent a mail to VMWare asking for their plans to support Mac OS X as a host os. They would not comment on unreleased products. they'd be silly if they don't do it.
  • Reply 48 of 63
    nofeernofeer Posts: 2,427member
    Quote:

Originally posted by durin oakenskin

IMHO, the best solution is a virtual machine (VMWare, Virtual PC etc) to run Windows on top of Mac OS X, so you don't have to boot the machine, just to run a Win app.

I sent a mail to VMWare asking for their plans to support Mac OS X as a host os. They would not comment on unreleased products. they'd be silly if they don't do it.

are you saying this way would allow me to keep both windows open and switch back and forth between a mac osx app and a windows xp application without rebooting??? because the only application i need for work is IE with windows. the virtual setup then would use my wireless connection and my network settings?? so i could then have safari AND IE(with windows)just a click/window away???is a virtual environment the only way to do the above??
  • Reply 49 of 63
    Quote:

Originally posted by NOFEER

are you saying this way would allow me to keep both windows open and switch back and forth between a mac osx app and a windows xp application without rebooting??? because the only application i need for work is IE with windows. the virtual setup then would use my wireless connection and my network settings?? so i could then have safari AND IE(with windows)just a click/window away???is a virtual environment the only way to do the above??

Yep. that's what I'm saying. It's just like good old VirtualPC on the PPC Mac: You run Windows in a - well - window. It's a normal Mac OS app that simulates a Windows PC. I use VMWare on Windows (to have another Windows Box in Windows) a lot, and performance is OK (maybe 20 % penalty, at most). This helps testing software, you can run a separate machine on top of your machine.

You're even able to drag and drop stuff from your desktop to the virtual machine desktop. It's way cool.

Another benefit: Just keep a disk image of your virtual machine at a safe place. If Windows gets crazy (virii, Spyware etc), just copy a new virtual machine over, and it works.

Since Virtual PC belongs to M$, it's only a matter of time until it's ported to Max OS X Intel (there's another thread about it somewhere here). But I sure hope VMWare port their product (which is basically the best available) to the Mac OS.
  • Reply 50 of 63
    telomartelomar Posts: 1,804member
  • Reply 51 of 63
    wgauvinwgauvin Posts: 100member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Telomar

So who wants to test?

I'd like to see pictures (and more importantly a boot up sequence movie) of this, because there is one gapping flaw, Vista's install media doesn't boot on the Intel Macs (unless something has changed in the last week). Also they're talking about MacBook as if they already have one. Apple's EFI doesn't have the EFI BIOS compatability module.
  • Reply 52 of 63
    Quote:

Originally posted by Telomar

So who wants to test?

Acronis Disk Director Bootable CD won't boot on a Mac and is unlikely to understand HFS+.

Next!
  • Reply 53 of 63
    Quote:

I sended a mail to, and i got direct responce from them:

"Thank you for your inquiry. Unfortunately, we do not provide information in

advance of an official press release. My only suggestion is to stay tuned to

our website for further details."

Oh boy, the vmware is a fast emulator, i remember using it on Linux before i was on mac!! let us hope they will release a mac version for the intel cpu's !! Its like 10x faster than Virtual pc!! These guys at Vmware knows how to deal with this kind of things... maybe we all could send some mail to them ? [email protected]

thanks
  • Reply 54 of 63
    Quote:

Originally posted by sternone

I sended a mail to, and i got direct responce from them:

"Thank you for your inquiry. Unfortunately, we do not provide information in

advance of an official press release. My only suggestion is to stay tuned to

our website for further details."

Oh boy, the vmware is a fast emulator, i remember using it on Linux before i was on mac!! let us hope they will release a mac version for the intel cpu's !! Its like 10x faster than Virtual pc!! These guys at Vmware knows how to deal with this kind of things... maybe we all could send some mail to them ? [email protected]

thanks

Remember, it was faster because it wasn't translating processor instructions. VPC is slow mainly because it is converting x86 to PPC, not because it's not VMWare.

I'd be surprised if they do support Mac. It isn't a consumer product, it's for server virtualisation which isn't really a big Mac thing.

Xen Source looks more promising I think.
  • Reply 55 of 63
    Quote:

Originally posted by Blackcat

Xen Source looks more promising I think.

When I checked their web site the last time (two weeks ago), they did not support Windows - yet.

Too bad. I hope they get support from the community or whoever.
  • Reply 56 of 63
    Quote:

When I checked their web site the last time (two weeks ago), they did not support Windows - yet.

Too bad. I hope they get support from the community or whoever.

I think it's high on the ToDo list, and if so it should be good (unless it's WINE based).

I much prefer the virtual machine approach than rebooting. It's just nicer.
  • Reply 57 of 63
    Quote:

Originally posted by Blackcat

I much prefer the virtual machine approach than rebooting. It's just nicer.

I completely agree. It has a lot of advantages. I have a new Dell notebook at the office (don't ever think about buying a Dell, it's terrible), and I virtualize all my projects: for each (software) project I have my own VM with databases, servers, etc. very clean, but takes an incredible amount of money.

Another approach would be the integration of a Windows compatibility layer roughly the same way as Rosetta or the Carbon framework. I think it was planned for Rhapsody (called the Yellow Box or something). But I don't think that will happen.
  • Reply 58 of 63
    Quote:

Originally posted by NOFEER

has anyone tried this???http://www.macworld.com/news/2006/01...ntel/index.php

Yes, I anted up and got this program. Took about 3 hours to load Win 98. I loads up ok. There is no network support that I can see. So not that useful. It's also pretty slow. I'm running on a Macintel iMac with 512MB. So might run faster with more memory.

Like others here, I hope VMware make a version for the Macintel. I use VMware on my PC. I VNC from the Mac to the PC VM machine and run the MS apps from there. Will be great when I can do it all on the Mac. VMware would be nuts not to create a version for Mac. I'm sure there is a pent up demand for it. Lots of PC users that have switched must have some web site issues. In my line of work (Real Estate), everything thing is geared to Internet Explorer. Cross platform it not in the industry's vocabulary. If the Mac becomes more popular this may change. The online Multiple Listing Service will not work on Safari, FireFox etc.
  • Reply 59 of 63
    OpenOSX is notorious for false claims and bad business practices. See:

http://fink.sourceforge.net/pr/openosx.php

http://forums.macnn.com/showthread.php?t=281987

and finally, customer reviews at:

http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/mo...edback&vid=All
  • Reply 60 of 63
    NO Success so far mmmm.... wait is too long (till Aug???)