New Apple ad catches Intel by surprise

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Apple's latest television advertisement, which aired for the first time during the company's keynote presentation at this week's Macworld Expo, reportedly caught Intel by surprise.

The ad, advertising the first Intel iMac, claims that for years Intel's chips have been "trapped inside PCs -- dull little boxes, dutifully performing dull little tasks." Apple's ad goes on to say that the Intel processor will finally be "set free" inside Macs. Intel, however, doesn't share those same sentiments about its other customers.

In a brief interview with CNet News.com's Ina Fried, Intel Vice President Deborah Conrad said: "Never would we characterize our customers that way."

She said that Intel cooperated with Apple for some particulars of the TV spot, but added, "We didn't know what the end result was going to be."

Apple reportedly offered Intel a peek at the final ad, but only right before Tuesday's keynote. "It's probably a good thing that we didn't see them earlier," Conrad said.

Conrad said Intel wouldn't complain if its work with Apple inspires some PC makers to think more creatively. "We certainly hope that this innovation engine kind of picks up and that you do see the beige box makers going, 'You know, maybe we could do something that looks and feels like that.' That would be a good thing, I think, from our perspective," she said.

According to Conrad, it was also Apple's idea to make Intel CEO Paul Otellini hop into a bunny suit.

Steve Jobs and Paul Otellini

Comments

• Reply 1 of 99
    guarthoguartho Posts: 1,208member
    My gut reaction to the ad was "That's pretty damn snotty." It reminded me of the original iMac commercials and the intel bashing ads of that era. They made me hate Macs when I didn't really have any experience with them outside of the crappy ones in our school computer lab. Advertising that makes its point by bashing the competitors has always rubbed me the wrong way. I hope this ad doesn't turn people off who otherwise would've loved to buy one.
  • Reply 2 of 99
    tednditedndi Posts: 1,921member
    I wonder if Apple will make Intel brand all of its chips with

Inside a MAC!

Welcome to working with Apple guys!! Get used to it!!

• Reply 3 of 99
    Geeeeez... this is just advertising, people! Can't you take it more as funny rather than "snotty"?!
  • Reply 4 of 99
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Its a trap!

Look, they dont need advertising at this moment, they have a few weeks of residuals in periodicals, they have print ads and undoubtedly another burst as reviewers get the units, so they really willnot need intel advertising untill mid-Feb...and there is this little thing called the SuperBowl...
  • Reply 5 of 99
    Steve is laughing "I got him to come out in a bunny suit"
  • Reply 6 of 99
    maestro64maestro64 Posts: 5,043member
    Well Intel is use to be in control of the adverstising and paying thier customers like Dell and such to advertise and as such they got to control the ad content.

Well, as someone put it welcome to working with Apple.

And making Otellini wear the bunny suit only proves who is the bitch here.

Jobs does it to every person who comes on that stage with him.
  • Reply 7 of 99
    hkbaqhkbaq Posts: 58member
    dosen't the voice of the add sound like keifer suderland(24) or is it very similar?

by the way....i thought the add was incredibly cool!!!

everytime a windows guy tells me that MS is better than apple....i just tell them

"i think its time to update your anti virus, spam, spyware, malware and all that shit....."

people are tired of all the bullshit in windows....and now that the mac has a familiar ring to it....thanks to the ipod and intel....they will at least consider it more......
  • Reply 8 of 99
    crees!crees! Posts: 501member
    Quote:

Originally posted by hkbaq

dosen't the voice of the add sound like keifer sutherland(24) or is it very similar?

by the way....i thought the add was incredibly cool!!!

everytime a windows guy tells me that MS is better than apple....i just tell them

"i think its time to update your anti virus, spam, spyware, malware and all that shit....."

people are tired of all the bullshit in windows....and now that the mac has a familiar ring to it....thanks to the ipod and intel....they will at least consider it more......

I thought the same thing when I saw it. Watched a 2nd time and said, "nah, that's not him". Third time, "okay, it's him." Yea 2-hour season premiere on Sunday!
  • Reply 9 of 99
    hkbaqhkbaq Posts: 58member
    i know...and don't forget monday also.....so by monday night it will already be in hour 4....

since i saw the apple abc thing with the tv shows i have been hopping for a fox deal....

24, nip/tuck, the o.c. and much more.....they really rock...
  • Reply 10 of 99
    Does anybody know the background music in the ad?
  • Reply 11 of 99
    Quote:

Originally posted by JimiMac

Does anybody know the background music in the ad?

God Moving Over The Face Of The Waters - Moby

and yes... that's Kiefer!
  • Reply 12 of 99
    Like I said before, I thought the coomercial was awesome. I see nothing wrong with it, yes they are bashing PC makers but thats what big corparations do. All the time I get bashed by Microsoft guys for using a mac. This commercial is an opertunity for us to shine and bash on the microsoft guys.
  • Reply 13 of 99
    Quote:

Originally posted by Maestro64

...And making Otellini wear the bunny suit only proves who is the bitch here...

Otellini would have worn a glittery thong, see-through stripper heels and nipple pasties with tassle's if Jobs would have told him to.
  • Reply 14 of 99
    Quote:

Originally posted by boba fett

God Moving Over The Face Of The Waters - Moby

and yes... that's Kiefer!

thanks Boba!
  • Reply 15 of 99
    gene cleangene clean Posts: 3,481member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Mike Moscow

Otellini would have worn a glittery thong, see-through stripper heels and nipple pasties with tassle's if Jobs would have told him to.

He would wear that if it brought more publicity to Intel. See? Everybody's talking about it. That's free advertisement man.

You think Otellini really gives a flying fuck what Jobs wanted him to wear? He's not your average CEO of a small company feeling lucky to be on that stage.

He's the CEO of Intel, and he has no need to dress as a bunny unless he wants to.
  • Reply 16 of 99
    sjksjk Posts: 603member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Gene Clean

He's the CEO of Intel, and he has no need to dress as a bunny unless he wants to.

Exactly.
  • Reply 17 of 99
    Quote:

Originally posted by Maestro64

And making Otellini wear the bunny suit only proves who is the bitch here.

What a disappointment! I read that Otellini came out in a bunny suit, I had two bizarre images in mind:

1) The pink bunny suit Ralphie had to wear in A Christmas Story.

or

2) The Playboy bunny suit!

Ho-hum, we got the clean-room bunny suit.
  • Reply 18 of 99
    tednditedndi Posts: 1,921member
    That is what Steve makes everyone on his stage believe.

Jobs in Bhuddist voice: Oh, no YOU WANT to wear the bunny suit!!

YOU WANT TO....as he waves his hand

Ortelenni

"yes MASTER, i want to wear a bunny suit....it is all my idea..... if it pleases you"

Jobs: good!

• Reply 19 of 99
    About Otellini wearing the bunny suit. Big whoop. The ad was for Mac fans not converts. Converts to Windows don't come out day one. This is more in line of "Redmond. start your photocopiers" style of ad. Chiat/TBWA are known for this type of advertising, and I haven't heard that Apple is changing ad agencies.

Everyone who has a grudge against Apple is looking for the negative spin on everything that Apple does. Look at CNET's article "Apple fans hate MacBook Pro" Irresponsible journalism at its worst. It talks about some people not liking the name. This is just another example. Privately I'm sure Intel loves the fact that Apple is kicking some butt already. Even the new machines that are out from Acer and MSI using Duos are only about 100 - $150 cheaper. Without the software and without the $150 worth of spam and anti virus you'll need to have the machine run for any length of time.
  • Reply 20 of 99
    andersanders Posts: 6,523member
    How large a customer is Apple for Intel? Large enough for their CEO to spend one morning with Jobs and deliver the same chips as they deliver for everybody else at the same time. How large a customer was Apple for IBM? Large enough to deliver a chip that was build more or less to Apples specs.

Apple is Intels bitch now. Or rather Apple is a customer for Intel like anyone else. Apple is probably a bit more exciting as a customer than WinBox producers since Apple will be able to adopt new features faster than others, since they control the OS themselves. But should Apple leave Intel again it would probably not be more than a bullet point in the morning news summary for the CEO.

You have to see his appearence in a bunny suit in relation to the old "Toasted Bunnies" commercial that was directed towards Intel and their hot Pentium chips. Intel delivering the chips on stage is for Apple: "Hey see. If you just tried you could also deliver a cool but powerful chip." For Intel the message is: "Hey look. You mocked us when you turned to PPC. Look what that brought you." Looking back on the last three years of Apples chip panic I really see the "Intel interpretation" as the one most truthful to the situation. Apple was running out of options and really had nowhere else to go but to Intel. Now Intel has added about 5% to their sales figures while Apple has placed 100% of their chip needs in one basket. A basket that could give a fuck about Apple (for what would really happen if Apple left Intel? Apple would have to sell computers without chips or with really suboptimal chips and everyone, EVERYONE, would migrate to Windows, leaving Apple back as a music player manufactor).

I really can´t see how that make Jobs anything less than the slave, bitch, the taking part, aso of that relationship.

About Intels reaction to the commercial: Of course Itel has to say what they did. If they said anything else, like "Hehe. Yeah Apple is right. 95% of our costumers make shitty products", their business would be in real jeopardy. Notice how the scene from the Intel lab doesn´t really is optimal wrt the text in commercial. "Setting processors free"? What about letting the walfers exit the factory 2001 style (as how I actually thought the commercial would end). The clips from the lab looked more or less like stock film. Apple can´t even get Intel to really coorporate with the shooting of a commercial.