New to Macs: Common Problems with AIM?

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Hey all -



We just got a new iMac (intel based). We use AIM a lot. Is it common for the program to stop responding? The colorwheel thing comes up and then the program just freezes. I have to force quit each time. Any fixes?





Thanks in advance,



Jeff
«1

Comments

  • Reply 1 of 22
    cant you use ichat instead? it works on AIM
  • Reply 2 of 22
    Explain more? iChat works with AIM people too?
  • Reply 3 of 22
    guarthoguartho Posts: 1,208member
    yep. iChat should've come on your new Mac and uses the AIM network in addition to a few others. Your AIM buddy list will show up and your buddies won't be able to tell you're not using the AIM client. just use your AIM screen name and password in iChat. iChat should be in your applications folder if it's not already on the Dock.
  • Reply 4 of 22
    Quote:

    Originally posted by sgtpeper

    Explain more? iChat works with AIM people too?



    iChat works with AIM and ICQ as they are the same network now.
  • Reply 5 of 22
    Doesnt work quite as easily as AIM but it doesnt cras either



    Thanks for the help guys!



    New iMac is awesome



    Jeff
  • Reply 6 of 22
    icfireballicfireball Posts: 2,594member
    FREEZE!



    Do not use iChat or AIM. Use Adium. It is the best Instant Messaging program ever made for the Mac.



    www.adiumx.com



    Supported Protocols:

    AOL Instant Messenger (Including ICQ and .Mac)

    Jabber (Including Google Talk)

    MSN Messenger

    Yahoo! Messenger (Including Yahoo! Japan)

    Bonjour (Compatible with iChat)

    Gadu-Gadu

    Novell Groupwise

    Lotus Sametime



    Notable Features:

    OTR Encryption

    Tabbed Messaging

    File Transfer

    Webkit Message Display



    +All of the features you would expect and more. You should check it out.
  • Reply 7 of 22
    Quote:

    Originally posted by icfireball

    FREEZE!



    Do not use iChat or AIM. Use Adium. It is the best Instant Messaging program ever made for the Mac.



    www.adiumx.com



    Supported Protocols:

    AOL Instant Messenger (Including ICQ and .Mac)

    Jabber (Including Google Talk)

    MSN Messenger

    Yahoo! Messenger (Including Yahoo! Japan)

    Bonjour (Compatible with iChat)

    Gadu-Gadu

    Novell Groupwise

    Lotus Sametime



    Notable Features:

    OTR Encryption

    Tabbed Messaging

    File Transfer

    Webkit Message Display



    +All of the features you would expect and more. You should check it out.




    Calm down...the guy only wants to use the AIM network...not every chat protocol ever invented.



    iChat offers stable file transfer, inline images and A/V conferencing.



    Don't make this guy think he's better off using Adium over iChat.
  • Reply 8 of 22
    icfireballicfireball Posts: 2,594member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by kim kap sol

    Calm down...the guy only wants to use the AIM network...not every chat protocol ever invented.



    iChat offers stable file transfer, inline images and A/V conferencing.



    Don't make this guy think he's better off using Adium over iChat.




    Are you joking? He IS better of using Adium of iChat. If you have never used Adium, you obviously don't know what your talking about. Adium has so many more features, and better support. Regardless of its Protocols its much better.
  • Reply 9 of 22
    I use Adium for the sole resaon of tabbed chatting. If iChat had that feature I would use it, but until then Adium is where it's at for me.
  • Reply 10 of 22
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    Can Adium even send files? or directories? Share? Yeah. Bye.



    iChat is buggy as hell too. AIM is the most compatible with the AIM network, unfortunately. I say unfortunately, because it's a piece of garbage. IT can't even do Talk. I use iChat if I want to talk because hey, most of my friends are smart and hence have Macs.



    Currently, IM on Mac sucks. If you want to talk to PCs, that is. iChat is better, it just needs to work better with AIM and hey, other protocols would kind of be nice too. And a better interface. I mean, how about a login window?
  • Reply 11 of 22
    chychchych Posts: 860member
    Yes, Adium supports file transfers.
  • Reply 12 of 22
    icfireballicfireball Posts: 2,594member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by Aquatic

    [B]Can Adium even send files? or directories? Share? Yeah. Bye.



    Yes my friend, Adium has file transfer.
  • Reply 13 of 22
    ajmasajmas Posts: 554member
    The one thing iChat has going for it over Adium is support for voice and video chat.
  • Reply 14 of 22
    Adium Cheerleaders to da rescue!!!!
  • Reply 15 of 22
    kcmackcmac Posts: 1,051member
    I use iChat to video chat with my family when I am traveling. Does Adium do that?





















    Didn't think so....
  • Reply 16 of 22
    Quote:

    Originally posted by kcmac

    I use iChat to video chat with my family when I am traveling. Does Adium do that?





















    Didn't think so....




    So use iChat for video stuff and use Adium for non-video stuff. Personaly, I have never used av features in iChat, and one of the reasons is because I have no one to use them with. Microphones and webcams aren't very common.
  • Reply 17 of 22
    ajmasajmas Posts: 554member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by icfireball

    So use iChat for video stuff and use Adium for non-video stuff. Personaly, I have never used av features in iChat, and one of the reasons is because I have no one to use them with. Microphones and webcams aren't very common.



    One issue on the Mac is driver support and then iChat only supporting DV video sources. This may all change though with the new Macs inlcuding built in video. Also, video is going to available throug Skype and libgaim eventually. The only problem with libgaim, is that most of the chat client developers are even drawing up plans for video or voice integration. So all that is to say is that the Mac software needs a little bit of work being done on the voice and video support in chat clients.
  • Reply 18 of 22
    Adium is awesome I decided.



    However, for some reason the program will work with my AIM SN and NOT my friend's....?



    Weird eh?



    Thanks so much guys,



    Jeff
  • Reply 19 of 22
    kcmackcmac Posts: 1,051member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by icfireball

    So use iChat for video stuff and use Adium for non-video stuff. Personaly, I have never used av features in iChat, and one of the reasons is because I have no one to use them with. Microphones and webcams aren't very common.



    Well I really don't know why I would want to use 2 applications. And you do not need a microphone. It's built right into your mac.



    When they get rid of that goofy icon maybe I would like it more. And yeah I could revise the icon...



    Man, talking about fanbois...
  • Reply 20 of 22
    while on the subject of iChat, I've used it once with video. I couldn't get the cool desk view, only a window within a window. is that because my friend was using AIM, and not iChat?



    I'm running I have 10.4.



    Cheers,



    David
Sign In or Register to comment.