Stock Dropping...Sell?

Comments

• Reply 21 of 90
    welshdogwelshdog Posts: 1,907member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ricksbrain

Many people are also locking in profits, hence the selling. As a general rule of thumb, many sell if a stock drops about 10% to avoid further sliding. It depends on your own philosophy and tolerance for price drops.

There really doesn't seem to be any competitor to Apple that is executing as well as they are-- my gut feeling is that it'll come back up, but it may take a while. We will not likely have the quick almost daily run-ups that we've had for several years.

I tend to agree with you, but we are talking about Apple here. Now that they have a taste of what it's like to have market domination (iPod) they aren't going to sit back. They know that iPod will eventually begin to saturate and slide back in sales. Before then they will introduce new products that will attempt to dominate new markets. Moreso than most companies Apple has a good chance of succeeding. They'll apply the Apple method to something interesting, either new or pre-exisisting (just like iPod) and they will eventually hit a homerun again. I'm not telling you folks anything you don't already know, right?

The question is when will this happen? Next week? Next month? We'll see. Any totally new product intro by Apple at this point should cause upward movement in Apple stock.

Unless it's something stupid like the iBong or some such.
  • Reply 22 of 90
    Stocks everywhere are going down, its a trend started by that IT scandale in Japan.. They'll probably go up again.

And Apple in particular is probably gonna get a boost after Disney announces its Pixar takeover tomorrow, leaving Steve-J the largest stockholder with 14%.
  • Reply 23 of 90
    trumptmantrumptman Posts: 16,464member
    So far Apple has been boosted DOWN to under $75.00...

Nick
  • Reply 24 of 90
    Is everyone just selling their stocks now so that they can make a profit? I'm going to wait until it goes into the 60s and then buy buy buy!!
  • Reply 25 of 90
    I'm curious... Why is Apple's stock keep going down when all these good announcements are coming out? Any thoughts?? Is it solely that people are selling their stocks now to make the profit off of purchasing it earlier?
  • Reply 26 of 90
    I have no ideal. Apple announces this today, which to me is a great agreement...

NEW YORK and CUPERTINO, Calif., Jan. 26 /PRNewswire-FirstCall/ -- MTV Networks and Apple® today announced that hit television programming from MTV, MTV2, COMEDY CENTRAL, Nickelodeon and The N is now available for purchase and download on the iTunes® Music Store (www.itunes.com). The new content features top-rated favorites such as "Punk'd," "South Park," "Dora the Explorer," "SpongeBob SquarePants" and "Laguna Beach." Nickelodeon's "Dora" is the first preschool program available on iTunes, while COMEDY CENTRAL's "Stand-Up" is iTunes' first stand-up comedy program, and MTV's "Laguna Beach" and "Real World/Road Rules Challenge: Gauntlet 2" are the first reality-based titles available on iTunes. With the addition of these 14 shows from MTV Networks, iTunes now offers over 40 TV shows for $1.99 per episode for viewing on a computer or iPod®.

Apple's down to almost $74. It doesn't make sense.

Nick
  • Reply 27 of 90
    It's hard not to pay attention when a stock drops like this, but unless you are looking for quick profits, look long-term. Apple is strong, is poised to become stronger, and is likely to leverage its past successes in ways we haven't fully anticipated.

I'm not an analyst, but I am bullish on this company. I believe the stock has taken a necessary breather.
  • Reply 28 of 90
    andersanders Posts: 6,523member
    When it hits 65 I´ll buy and I´ll sell when the stock has split and hit 55.
  • Reply 29 of 90
    andersanders Posts: 6,523member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Anders

When it hits 65 I´ll buy and I´ll sell when the stock has split and hit 55.

Damn. Not workie for me The dollar will fall 25% in same period. Not worth the risk.
  • Reply 30 of 90
    mellomello Posts: 555member
    It's kinda strange that the stock hasn't bounced back yet. When the

last quarterly report triggered that 10% drop, it bounced back in a

week.

• Reply 31 of 90
    I don't own, but have been following Disney and Pixar. They are both down as well.

Reverse-RDF in full effect?!?

Nick
  • Reply 32 of 90
    When the stock goes down like that it's time to buy! I just picked up some shares a couple days ago, wish I waited a few days and bought it today. In any case, Apple has some great products on the pipeline and we're in a profit taking cycle right now. In addition investors are afraid Steve is considering leaving Apple to become CEO of Disney, my bet is that's not going to happen (Apple is his baby and he already left once and came back). In any case, now is the time to buy (remember BUY LOW when things look bad, sell HIGH when things turn around). Apple made a lot of money on music, and they will on video too once they have the [video] hardware to go along with iTunes video. Apple's new iBook should be a hot product as well. But I think the growth is going to come from great new video products.
  • Reply 33 of 90
    Quote:

Originally posted by ngmapple

In addition investors are afraid Steve is considering leaving Apple to become CEO of Disney

If investors think that, they aren't too bright. Robert Iger just became CEO. A change like that would likely rock Disney stock (in a bad way).
  • Reply 34 of 90
    Quote:

Originally posted by Chris Cuilla

If investors think that, they aren't too bright. Robert Iger just became CEO. A change like that would likely rock Disney stock (in a bad way).

agreed
  • Reply 35 of 90
    mellomello Posts: 555member
    It's finally starting to go back up.

+$1.61 when I checked at 11 am - 1/30/06.

Just spiked up again! Sweet.

+4.26 at 1:15pm

I'm glad I picked up my stock at $51!
  • Reply 36 of 90
    Up $2.62 for the day so far. (9:30 am PST) Too bad it has to get back to $77 for me to just break even again. I should have been smarter and bought some on the downside to gain even more on the upswing. Tried that with Citigroup and it helped there with the drop but I'm still new to this.

Nick
  • Reply 37 of 90
    jasenj1jasenj1 Posts: 923member
    Quote:

Originally posted by trumptman

Up $2.62 for the day so far. (9:30 am PST) Too bad it has to get back to $77 for me to just break even again.

Likewise. I picked up 25 shares at 77ish. With hindsight, wish I'd bought some more at 72ish. But, hey, if hindsight worked we'd all be millionaires - or all broke because everyone would do it.

- Jasen.
  • Reply 38 of 90
    +$4.41

Nice (and faster than expected) recovery.
  • Reply 39 of 90
    Quote:

Originally posted by jasenj1

Likewise. I picked up 25 shares at 77ish. With hindsight, wish I'd bought some more at 72ish. But, hey, if hindsight worked we'd all be millionaires - or all broke because everyone would do it.

- Jasen.

I put in a limited sell order at $76.50 today. It looks like it won't make it. I know that still would have been a small loss but I am still learning about stock trading and prefer stocks that have less volatility. I mean I had a limited stop in today for Apple at $70.50 as well. Up and down 5% a day for the last couple weeks makes me want off this rollercoaster for a while.

Nick
  • Reply 40 of 90
    Quote:

Originally posted by trumptman

I put in a limited sell order at $76.50 today. It looks like it won't make it. I know that still would have been a small loss but I am still learning about stock trading and prefer stocks that have less volatility. I mean I had a limited stop in today for Apple at $70.50 as well. Up and down 5% a day for the last couple weeks makes me want off this rollercoaster for a while.

Nick

Nick, if you're new to securities and trading, you shouldn't be going at things with a day trader's strategy (in fact no one that's moving less than a few $100k or $million at a time should be moving things that often [capital gains and fees, etc...]). Apple while a little more volatile than the GE's and Exxon's is still a large cap stock. You need to be willing to give things time and look at the greater trend not hour by hour stock prices. I'm personally evaluating my stake in Apple quarterly.