MTV, Comedy Central and Nickelodeon content now on iTunes

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
MTV Networks and Apple Computer today announced that hit television programming from MTV, MTV2, COMEDY CENTRAL, Nickelodeon and The N is now available for purchase and download on the iTunes Music Store.

The new content features top-rated favorites such as "Punk'd," "South Park," "Dora the Explorer," "SpongeBob SquarePants" and "Laguna Beach." Nickelodeon's "Dora" is the first preschool program available on iTunes, while COMEDY CENTRAL's "Stand-Up" is iTunes' first stand-up comedy program, and MTV's "Laguna Beach" and "Real World/Road Rules Challenge: Gauntlet 2" are the first reality-based titles available on iTunes.

With the addition of these 14 shows from MTV Networks, iTunes now offers over 40 TV shows for $1.99 per episode for viewing on a computer or iPod.

"The iTunes Music Store provides an innovative way for us to get our wide range of programming to our viewers," said Jason Hirschhorn, chief digital officer, MTV Networks. "MTV Networks' brands feature some of the most popular programs in television today, and iTunes allows us to connect our content to even more audiences. We're committed to having our programming on multiple platforms as our audience's media consumption behavior evolves."

"Video has proven to be a smash hit on iTunes with over eight million vid- eos sold," said Eddy Cue, Apple's vice president of iTunes. "We're thrilled to add 14 new shows from MTV Networks which include such a wide range of program- ming from MTV, Nickelodeon and COMEDY CENTRAL." The new programming spans MTV Networks' varied brands and includes full seasons of hits from:

The new programming spans MTV Networks' varied brands and includes full seasons of hits from:

MTV"Laguna Beach" -- the first-ever reality drama exploring the lives of beautiful teenagers who lead glamorous lives.

"Gauntlet 2" -- the tropical island of Tobago is the setting for the latest showdown between "Real World" and "Road Rules" alumni.

"Beavis & Butt-Head" -- the animated series following the adventures of Beavis, a blond guy in a Metallica shirt, and Butt-Head, a dark-haired guy in an AC/DC shirt.

"Jackass" -- MTV's own cast of misfits leave common sense and sanity behind to perform some of the most unforgettable pranks on TV.

"Punk'd" -- the breakout hit where Ashton Kutcher and Jason Goldberg set up elaborate pranks and take aim on scores of celebrities.

"My Super Sweet 16" -- documents the over-the-top birthday parties and coming-of-age celebrations of teens as they prepare for one of the biggest nights of their lives.

"Wonder Showzen" (MTV2) -- an absurd comedy/variety show spiked with a team of puppets, kids, cartoons, old educational films and political social satire.

Nickelodeon

"Dora the Explorer" -- the number one program on commercial TV with kids 2-5 years of age and the first preschool program on iTunes.

"SpongeBob SquarePants" -- TV's overall top-rated kids' show.

"Zoey 101" -- the tween favorite for kids 9-14 years of age starring Jamie Lynn Spears.

Comedy Central

"South Park" -- the Emmy Award-winning series, soon to begin its tenth season, remains the network's highest-rated series.

"Comedy Central Stand-Up" -- performances from The Amazing Johnathan, Lewis Black, Dave Attell, Dane Cook, Mitch Hedberg, Vic Henley, Steve McGrew, Vince Morris, Godfrey and Patton Oswalt.

"Drawn Together" -- presenting a world where cartoon characters from various genres of animation are brought together to live under one roof.

The N

"South of Nowhere" -- the critically acclaimed drama for teens about a contemporary American family that tackles the issues of identity and self-discovery.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 22
    This is better than them getting Disney material in my opinion.
  • Reply 2 of 22
    Any word on whether or not they will ever get a deal with Fox? I'm ready for some 24
  • Reply 3 of 22
    But where is the Daily Show and The Cobert Report? Those would be great....They air at night...it would be awesome to wake up in the morning and download last nights show and get all your news and information with a side of satire.
  • Reply 4 of 22
    andersanders Posts: 6,523member
    Quote:

Originally posted by afalkner

But where is the Daily Show and The Cobert Report? Those would be great....They air at night...it would be awesome to wake up in the morning and download last nights show and get all your news and information with a side of satire.

+1

And make the deals global! We in Non-us don´t have video in iTMS
  • Reply 5 of 22
    What happened to the supposed deal between Microsoft and MTV? Is this a different deal, or did Apple lure them away?
  • Reply 6 of 22
    This is HUGE IMO... You can buy season 1 of south park for about 30% less than Amazon. Once Apple introduces it's set top box, they will kill. I can't wait until April Fools Day, I can feel that something really big is going to happen then. It is the first day of the fiscal 3rd quarter and Steve said that he 'probably won't see us until then' and it is Apple's 30th anniversary. There should be some revolutionary new announcements including IMO a Mac Mini with an Intel chip and a huge drive with DVR capabilities. With that there probably will also be the ability to download virtually all of Disney's animated feature films. I think the possibility is also there for the iPhone. Steve will want to do something revolutionary no doubt on April 1st and with Motorola already announcing that they would not support iTunes on new models, I think Apple is further along than many think.

These people selling the stock at this moment are idiots. Apple recently has ALWAYS blown away their own internal estimates. I might have to buy more and raise my cost basis of $24 per share as this seems to be the buying opportunity for this year that we saw in April 2005.
  • Reply 7 of 22
    Quote:

Originally posted by SpamSandwich

What happened to the supposed deal between Microsoft and MTV? Is this a different deal, or did Apple lure them away?

I'm sure that this agreement is non-exclusive, so they may still be doing a deal with MS, but they can see the writing on the wall that iTunes is where it's at. I wouldn't be surprised at all if they report 50 Million videos sold on or before April 1st.
  • Reply 8 of 22
    Quote:

because $1.99 per episode would be expensive, what about a fee to subscribe to the video podcast, like $10/however often
  • Reply 9 of 22
    Quote:

Originally posted by ipodandimac

because $1.99 per episode would be expensive, what about a fee to subscribe to the video podcast, like $10/however often

For me $10/month for a subscription to The Daily Show would be my sweet spot. Sorry, folks, but I haven't warmed up to the Colbert Report yet.
  • Reply 10 of 22
    Quote:

Dude - seriously. The Daily Show is one of the very few reasons I ever consider connecting my TV to cable. The second is the Olympics. Occasionally there is a third, but I can't think of it right now.

Put the the Daily Show on iTunes, and I'd finally set up my account.
  • Reply 11 of 22
    Colbert Report is funnier IMO, but I agree having both shows available would be nice, if only to catch a missed episode once in a while.
  • Reply 12 of 22
    dogcowdogcow Posts: 713member
    I wouldn't be surprised to see Daily Show / Colbert Report headlines offered as a free sponsored podcast.

Also, I hope MTV/Nick takes a hint from NBC and offers some of it's "vintage" library on itunes. Shows from the golden age of nickelodeon would rock... Are you Afraid of the Dark, Hey Dude, etc.
  • Reply 13 of 22
    I would love to see Apple take it to the next level and offer free downloads of popular commercials - current and past.

In addition, I reviewed some of the Stanford lectures available on iTunes (really great stuff, BTW), and was wondering if they could make...

Educational/Informational vids:

- Nova

- Sesame Street

- Bilingual educational lessons

- Driver training/education

- History/Economics/Politics/Physics/Mathematics lessons

- Musical instrument lessons (piano, guitar, etc.) under the GarageBand name...

Instructional vids:

- Home repair

- Specific models of cars

- Exercise and health

As a matter of fact, I might finally be able to put my Final Cut Studio to use...

• Reply 14 of 22
    I want some Stargate! Enough with Battlestar Galactica!
  • Reply 15 of 22
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    Quote:

MTV"Laguna Beach" -- the first-ever reality drama exploring the lives of beautiful teenagers who lead glamorous lives.

This is exactly what the kids need to help their sense of self worth in these sensationalist celebrity fueled times.
  • Reply 16 of 22
    I see they now have old Disney Shorts from the 30's and 40's on ITMS too... That was quick.
  • Reply 17 of 22
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Dogcow

Also, I hope MTV/Nick takes a hint from NBC and offers some of it's "vintage" library on itunes.

You Can't Do That On Television!
  • Reply 18 of 22
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:

Originally posted by macFanDave

For me $10/month for a subscription to The Daily Show would be my sweet spot. Sorry, folks, but I haven't warmed up to the Colbert Report yet.

I am stingier. I like those shows, but it is too much. I pay about that much for all of Comedy Central for the entire year, and I don't get charged to record it.
  • Reply 19 of 22
    Quote:

Originally posted by CosmoNut

You Can't Do That On Television!

I'm pretty sure you can already download a few episodes here:

http://www.ycdtotv.com/

But in my opinion the ignorance of being 6 years old made the show a lot better, I tried watching some of it a few months ago and had to turn it off after a few minutes it was so bad. Bad acting, bad writing, and bad production... Not to mention Alanis Morissette.
  • Reply 20 of 22
    mark2005mark2005 Posts: 1,158member
    I'm not surprised that PBS shows like Sesame Street and Mister Rogers haven't made it to iTMS, as PBS moves fairly slowly, probably hamstrung by red tape. But a lot of its shows, especially for kids, have educational value. And it would be a great way for them to raise funds for future productions.