Reasons to switch (back) to Windows

Comments

• Reply 81 of 120
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    Quote:

In iChat, go to prefs, click on the accounts tab and make a new account. You don't even have to log in with a particular account if you don't want to. You can easily switch between the accounts by going to the iChat / Switch to menu. What's wong with this????

It needs a log in window.

And the integration is actually kind of annoying. Why does my account use my girlfriend's address book. I cansee how sometimes that could be good...but it should at least be able to be turned off.

No amount of apologizing can make iChat's interface, the very thing that should shine, not suck.

It's not good at IM. That's what it's primarily used for. Firstly because videophones won't perhaps ever replace text, or at least not until almost everyone has one which will be a while. And two, because video chat currently sucks. As I said, and others have said, iChat audio/video support many times does not work. I don't care why this is, I just want to be able to call my parents and my sister. Currently, I can not. We have tried so many times. It's very...very, annoying.

I think I'll try Skype and report back here.
  • Reply 82 of 120
    gongon Posts: 2,437member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Elixir

1. we have to actually purchase Word and there isn't anything good preinstalled on MAc OSX.

Huh? What comes preinstalled on OS X is tons better than what comes on Windows. After a Windows install I have to install a mail app, a browser, a MP3 player, a SSH terminal, a text editor, and then I can begin contemplating using the machine. Every basic OS X install out of the box has software that does these things well, and more quite useful apps come with computer purchases (iLife, OmniOutliner, etc).

And just how do you not have to buy Word for Windows?
    Quote:

3. some photo output programs like Picture It are not offered on macs (also coming from the girlfriend) she's not about photo editing but more about doing cute little things with pictures.

I'm not quite grasping what it is that these programs do. Picture browsers? Printing programs?
  • Reply 83 of 120
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    Reasons #1-#87237 for me are the hardware.
  • Reply 84 of 120
    Quote:

Originally posted by Aquatic

It needs a log in window.

And the integration is actually kind of annoying. Why does my account use my girlfriend's address book. I cansee how sometimes that could be good...but it should at least be able to be turned off.

No amount of apologizing can make iChat's interface, the very thing that should shine, not suck.

It's not good at IM. That's what it's primarily used for. Firstly because videophones won't perhaps ever replace text, or at least not until almost everyone has one which will be a while. And two, because video chat currently sucks. As I said, and others have said, iChat audio/video support many times does not work. I don't care why this is, I just want to be able to call my parents and my sister. Currently, I can not. We have tried so many times. It's very...very, annoying.

I think I'll try Skype and report back here.

My God ... the more and more I read your responses, the more and more I think this is simply a case "the computer and the software sucks because it won't read my mind...". Come on man, seriously. You called me an "apologist" and all I told you was how to use different accounts in iChat, which is what you wanted to do.

It needs a login window?? Why? It's MUCH faster when you open the program, to go to the menu and drag to the screen name. Bad interface??? Seems pretty damn simple to me. You AIM account is automatically tied into iChat, screen names and all. The only reason your GF's stuff would be in there is if you have the same people listed on both accounts. My brothers friends don't show up when I use iChat, why do your girlfriends? Chances are you or her added buddies to the account while you were using it ... under you admin account (or you like the same people...). This is where multiple user accounts would save you a LOT of hassle, but you didn't like that either.

Not good at IM? You type text into the box and it send it to the person you're talking to. That seems to work fine for me. How can something be "good or bad" at Im? The video / audio seems to work fine with me. You need to think about the problem before you blast it and say, well, this is a piece of shit. My fiancee, uses XP and has a webcam, she uses AIM 5.9, i use iChat through a firewall. Works smoothly every time. The only thing we can't do is have her initiate the chat. Point is, you can make it work but you might have to think about it at first for more than 10 seconds. Good luck with Skype though, I have a friend 90 miles down the road on a windows machine that wanted me to download it and try it out about 2 weeks ago. It was more difficult to figure out. We spent 2 hours trying to connect and it never did work...

It seems like you want computer utopia ... the ultimate in plug and play and ease of use. Don't we all. You want the computer to think for you. Why? Multiple user accounts are a great thing for keeping your address books, documents, etc. seperate, and if you turn on fast user switching, its really, really snappy. Why should Apple clutter their OS with bullshit to accomodate people that can't go to the top right of the LCD and drag down to another user ... or can't go to a menu and select another screen name. People like that are already lost ... there's little chance they'll ever be able to please them.
  • Reply 85 of 120
    benroethigbenroethig Posts: 2,782member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Placebo

Agreed. Apple thinks just a little too different in that arena. A lot of you guys love what Apple has to offer, but there are those of us who have more conventional needs and tastes. You ether have to buy completely into Apple's philosophy or go with a Windows PC. I really don't like either option very well.
  • Reply 86 of 120
    Quote:

Originally posted by AsLan^

I dont like the fact Terminal can't automatically load X11 and start forwarding SSH sessions, gotta load X11 separately and use the X11 terminal.

What does this mean? I mean, I'm not very familiar with forwarding ssh sessions, but when I do "ssh -X" it does the same thing in the Terminal and in an X11 terminal. After I begin the session, I can run X Windows applications from a remote server.

I imagine that you're talking about something else, so could you give an example?
  • Reply 87 of 120
    aslan^aslan^ Posts: 599member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Skipjack

What does this mean? I mean, I'm not very familiar with forwarding ssh sessions, but when I do "ssh -X" it does the same thing in the Terminal and in an X11 terminal. After I begin the session, I can run X Windows applications from a remote server.

I imagine that you're talking about something else, so could you give an example?

Hey! you are right, my DISPLAY variable wasnt set right in Terminal. Thanks
  • Reply 88 of 120
    Thanks for answering. I just learned how to do that this weekend while trying to follow a professor's instructions for running an application required for class on a Linux machine, so I wasn't sure whether I was addressing the same situation as you described. I was going to mention the DISPLAY variable, but wasn't confident that we were talking about the same thing.
  • Reply 89 of 120
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Quote:

Originally posted by BenRoethig

Agreed. Apple thinks just a little too different in that arena. A lot of you guys love what Apple has to offer, but there are those of us who have more conventional needs and tastes. You ether have to buy completely into Apple's philosophy or go with a Windows PC. I really don't like either option very well.

Er...

CPU: same

USB: same

Enet/WiFI: same

RAM: same

What, you don't like the case?
  • Reply 90 of 120
    Number and type of drive bays and expansion slots different.
  • Reply 91 of 120
    gene cleangene clean Posts: 3,481member
    Quote:

Originally posted by BenRoethig

Number and type of drive bays and expansion slots different.

Motherboard readily available to be replaced, substituted, upgraded. CPU as well. Graphics cards replacable/upgradeable on ALL desktop systems, wether 'workstation' or not.
  • Reply 92 of 120
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Fair enough - while the DYI market is shrinking, there's still a vocal group that wants to.
  • Reply 93 of 120
    Quote:

Originally posted by Gene Clean

CPU as well. Graphics cards replacable/upgradeable on ALL desktop systems, wether 'workstation' or not.

And don't require a six figure income to do so.
  • Reply 94 of 120
    Quote:

Originally posted by dojobi

This is a major issue for me right now. Out of the 100+ people on my contact list, I don't know a single person who uses AIM, so it must be a US thing. Here in Australia, MSN is the standard.

Isn't AIM still free? It seems to me that if two or more people want to chat with each other, downloading and installing a free piece of software isn't that much of an inconvenience.

Of course, some people would rather use the Instant messenger that came with their computer (MSN). But if that's your argument, you should stop using Macs. If you and all your friends wants Apple to start littering the Mac OS with Microsoft stuff, you might as well switch back to Windows.
  • Reply 95 of 120
    gene cleangene clean Posts: 3,481member
    Quote:

Originally posted by BeigeUser

[B]Of course, some people would rather use the Instant messenger that came with their computer (MSN).

Except that, MSN Messenger does not come with their computer. You have to specifically go here to download it.

Quote:

But if that's your argument, you should stop using Macs. If you and all your friends wants Apple to start littering the Mac OS with Microsoft stuff, you might as well switch back to Windows.

Apple has been "littering" the MacOS with Microsoft stuff for years - even by default not long ago. If this is your argument...
  • Reply 96 of 120
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Quote:

YES!!!!!

I can build a box to encode video as fast or faster than the quad G5 for ~$1000 USD.

AMD 64 proc+mobo ~300

2 GB RAM ~200

2 80 GIG HDD (system and cache/scrach) ~60eaq = ~120

1 250 GIG (media) ~150

DVD burner ~60

GPU ~100

case, cables, fans, MISC ~100

GRAND TOTAL 1030 + 5HRS (1.5 to build and 3.5 to install and config)

5 HRS to save nearly $2000? yea, it is worth the time

The only problem is that even if I wanted to, I cant go out and buy MAC OSX to run on it.
  • Reply 97 of 120
    skatmanskatman Posts: 609member
    Quote:

Originally posted by a_greer

[B]YES!!!!!

AMD 64 proc+mobo ~300

I doubt you can buy an AMD 64 processor that will come even close to quad G5 CPU speed for $300 not even counting the mobo. You need to go dual Opteron 270 for that.
  • Reply 98 of 120
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    You can build a faster PC for cheaper. End of discussion.

That's what I'm personally planning on doing: switching to Linux for my main OS, Windows for my game OS, and Mac OS X for my fun time OS (I'd use it as my main OS, but Apple wants to be a hardass about letting enthusiastic people install it on non-overpriced machines)
  • Reply 99 of 120
    Apple's machines aren't overpriced, they're just different.
  • Reply 100 of 120
    aslan^aslan^ Posts: 599member
    Quote:

You can build a faster PC for cheaper. End of discussion.

That's what I'm personally planning on doing: switching to Linux for my main OS, Windows for my game OS, and Mac OS X for my fun time OS (I'd use it as my main OS, but Apple wants to be a hardass about letting enthusiastic people install it on non-overpriced machines)

This is exactly how I do it