Apple unveils new 1GB iPod nano at $149

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Apple today unveiled a new 1GB iPod nano for just $149, essentially a 2GB nano sans half the flash memory, as first rumored in December.

The new 1GB iPod nano is thinner than a #2 pencil and features Apple's patent pending Click Wheel and the same color screen as the other iPod nano models. Each 1GB iPod nano holds up to 240 songs or 15,000 photos.

In addition, Apple also announced that it is reducing the price of its 512MB and 1GB iPod shuffle to $69 and $99 respectively.

"Now everyone can afford an iPod nano, with our new 1GB model starting at just $149," said Greg Joswiak, Apple's vice president of Worldwide iPod Product Marketing. "The iPod is the world's most popular digital music player with over 40 million sold, and now even more music lovers can experience the unrivaled combination of iPod and iTunes."

Pricing and Availability

The 1GB white and black models of iPod nano for Mac or Windows are available worldwide immediately for a suggested retail price of $149 (US), through the Apple Store, Apple's retail stores and Apple Authorized Resellers. All iPod nano models include earbud headphones, a USB 2.0 cable, case and a CD with iTunes for Mac and Windows computers.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 56
    crees!crees! Posts: 501member
    Unsubstantiated blurb:

Now these will be gobbled up and market share will rise again with investor confidence. Why is it that all these research and investment firms seem so much like pussy cats?
  • Reply 2 of 56
    i don't get it. why would anyone want a 1GB Nano? then again, i didn't really understand at 2GB Nano, either.

guess i just like having more music than that with me....

the shuffle was a great idea.. it's ideal for working out... plop your good workout music on there and go, but for general iPod use i need something with more storage
  • Reply 3 of 56
    eckingecking Posts: 1,588member
    It was only a matter of time....

I'll probably get one of these bad boys for the gym! But at the same time shuffle prices are better, but can I sacrifice a navigation screen? Sure I can't change songs in the middle of a set but I can change playlists between exercises.

Anyways this will sell like hotcakes, or like ipods, take your pick.
  • Reply 4 of 56
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,419member
    I may get the 1GB Nano simply because at times I just want to have my top 200 songs available. I plan on getting a larger iPod someday but I still have to rip my whole collection someday.

It's only 20 bucks more than the shuffle but it has playlists and it's damn near as light for working out with.
  • Reply 5 of 56
    So what will happen to the shuffle? My hopes are they keep it. Perfect for the gym. Use the 30GB for everything else.
  • Reply 6 of 56
    sandausandau Posts: 1,230member
    the shuffle still blows away the nano for working out simply because it has better clip options. With the right clip you can put it on your shirt collar and have as close to a wire free hassle as possible, which is perfect for working out.

for the car and for watching videos from the music store on the TV, the ipod video is perfect.

nice to have both!
  • Reply 7 of 56
    Quote:

Originally posted by hmurchison

It's only 20 bucks more than the shuffle

$50 actually (now).
  • Reply 8 of 56
    Quote:

Originally posted by bperkins

So what will happen to the shuffle? My hopes are they keep it.

Presently they have just lowered the prices. Previously reports were they were selling all they could make. My guess is it stays for the time-being. They don't seem to be saying much about it however. It is just "there". And why should they. They have an answer for the extremely price concious, but they would love to sell the higher margin products instead.

• Reply 9 of 56
    mark2005mark2005 Posts: 1,158member
    Wow! Apple just proved me wrong in an earlier post where I thought Apple would kill the 512 shuffle instead of going lower than $99.

I'm surprised. This means they're not going to leave any space for anybody else to make any money in the mp3 player business. Wow again.
  • Reply 10 of 56
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:

Originally posted by tdamon

i don't get it. why would anyone want a 1GB Nano? then again, i didn't really understand at 2GB Nano, either.

guess i just like having more music than that with me....

the shuffle was a great idea.. it's ideal for working out... plop your good workout music on there and go, but for general iPod use i need something with more storage

Cost. 1GB easily holds about as much or more music than can be played on a charge. I have a few smart playlists that I use to automatically change out the tracks that I've played on the nano for new ones.
  • Reply 11 of 56
    Quote:

Originally posted by mark2005

Wow! Apple just proved me wrong in an earlier post where I thought Apple would kill the 512 shuffle instead of going lower than $99.

I'm surprised. This means they're not going to leave any space for anybody else to make any money in the mp3 player business. Wow again.

Ding! Ding! Ding! Ding! Ding! Ding! Ding! Ding!

The thing that has been really clever about the way they have done this...is they have done it relatively slowly.
  • Reply 12 of 56
    Quote:

Originally posted by JeffDM

Cost. 1GB easily holds about as much or more music than can be played on a charge. I have a few smart playlists that I use to automatically change out the tracks that I've played on the nano for new ones.

Yes. 240 songs (at 4 minutes each) is 16 hours of music! Well more than my commute + work day + commute home. I am serious considering iPod nano 1GB when it comes time to replace my 20GB 3G iPod.

Video doesn't hold much interest for me. I could probably still put my entire photo collection, contacts, calendars and 9-10 hours of music on the thing and be quite content.

Gee...I wonder why the nanos are selling so well.
  • Reply 13 of 56
    frank777frank777 Posts: 5,839member
    Would it really kill Apple to include voice recording on the Nano?

This thing is perfect to carry around and make quick notes to yourself, or even do short interviews.

Does the Nano lack the necessary hardware to record, or is it something that can be hacked?
  • Reply 14 of 56
    I think Apple is getting to the point where the top end of their iPod line is going to "evaporate" for most of the market. It seems to have been whithering away slowly anyway. Who on earth really has 60GB worth of music? OK...some folks do. Now, after those 1,000 have bought their iPods, why does anyone else need one that big? Well...in comes video. But portable video is a small market. An Apple iTMS+TiVO+Netflix-ish thing has got to be their next big play to generate growth.
  • Reply 15 of 56
    Quote:

Originally posted by Chris Cuilla

Yes. 240 songs (at 4 minutes each) is 16 hours of music! Well more than my commute + work day + commute home. I am serious considering iPod nano 1GB when it comes time to replace my 20GB 3G iPod.

Video doesn't hold much interest for me. I could probably still put my entire photo collection, contacts, calendars and 9-10 hours of music on the thing and be quite content.

Gee...I wonder why the nanos are selling so well.

Yes, 16 hours of music is more than enough... but what if you want to listen to something that isn't on there at the moment? Not to mention you have to remember to sync your iPod every time you're going anywhere (to get different content) regardless of whether it needs to be charged or not.

I had a mini for years, and it served me well, but when I started getting into podcasting I was constantly having to decide what music I probably wasn't going to listen to so I could make space on the thing. Now that I have a 30GB video it can hold all of my library and more... it's just a much better solution for me. I like having all my options available when I'm going to be using the iPod for a while.
  • Reply 16 of 56
    Quote:

i don't get it. why would anyone want a 1GB Nano?

Same reasons as a shuffle. It's basically a slightly larger shuffle with a screen.

I love the shuffle, but I'm very tempted to spend the extra $50 to get a screen.

Maybe someday I'll get a "big" iPod. But I have MORE than 60 gig, they need to come out with a bigger one before I'll be interested.
  • Reply 17 of 56
    mark2005mark2005 Posts: 1,158member
    From what I hear and see, the iPod (30 or 60) has been doing really really well. Many teens I know got them, not nanos, for presents over Christmas. And the reason is video. (Yes, it's anecdotal and maybe I just know teens with rich parents/grandparents).

For Apple, the nano is the perfect music-mostly, some photos device. Priced at $249 and down.

And the iPod is now the video device, but it's just the first version. I expect a significant redo by October that fully addresses the portable video experience, just like the nano was a significant redo of the mini. And I can see it continue to be priced at $299 and up for the next year or 2.
  • Reply 18 of 56
    Quote:

Yes, 16 hours of music is more than enough... but what if you want to listen to something that isn't on there at the moment? Not to mention you have to remember to sync your iPod every time you're going anywhere (to get different content) regardless of whether it needs to be charged or not.

I had a mini for years, and it served me well, but when I started getting into podcasting I was constantly having to decide what music I probably wasn't going to listen to so I could make space on the thing. Now that I have a 30GB video it can hold all of my library and more... it's just a much better solution for me. I like having all my options available when I'm going to be using the iPod for a while.

All quite true. I suspect most users probably don't fit into that category. I don't (anymore).
  • Reply 19 of 56
    Quote:

Originally posted by Chris Cuilla

I think Apple is getting to the point where the top end of their iPod line is going to "evaporate" for most of the market. It seems to have been whithering away slowly anyway. Who on earth really has 60GB worth of music? OK...some folks do. Now, after those 1,000 have bought their iPods, why does anyone else need one that big? Well...in comes video. But portable video is a small market. An Apple iTMS+TiVO+Netflix-ish thing has got to be their next big play to generate growth.

Eh, maybe not quite as low as 1,000 ... maybe 2,000! But seriously, I've been an iPod adapter since the second gen, and I've had every generation of the full sized iPod. I also have ~12GB worth of music. I thought long and hard before abandoning my 20GB 4th gen for the 30GB video, but then decided, why not? I like having all of my music with me at one time, and the video may come in handy. You never know what kind of day it'll end up being, and so you need the music to go with it. I was listening to "Eye of the Tiger" going into an engineering exam this morning. I came out and sulked back to my dorm to the "Imperial March" from Star Wars. I just couldn't go down to a nano because I'd have to leave 1/3 of my library on my computer.

I do agree that some Movie distributors or companies will need to get on board. Podcasts, TV shows and MV's are great, but will only carry you so far. Apple is doing well with TV shows, but movies have to get in there too. I have a few DVD's ripped to my iPod as H.264's, and they look great. Buying movies through iTMS where they're already formatted and scaled would be much easier and save me some time. A movie is what, like 3 - 5 times longer than a TV show, so charge maybe 4 times more for movies? Would you pay $6.99 - $8.99 for a movie formatted for the iPod? That's going to be where the consumer hesitation is. Yeah, you can hook the iPod up to a TV and watch it, but how much does quality suffer. Will you lose DVD navigational functionality? Chapter markers wouldn't be too hard to incorporate, but what about the people that actually want the bonus features? These are all things Apple would have to investigate before distributing movies...

Chris
  • Reply 20 of 56
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    Quote:

Originally posted by minderbinder

...I'm very tempted to spend the extra $50 to get a screen.

And that, my friends, is called upselling.