Apple counting down to one billion iTunes

Comments

• Reply 21 of 54
    Totally. This evening my mum left her credit card with the restaurant at the golf club for over an hour (for the drinks/food tab for a few guests). (No, we're not that rich or anything). The golf club membership card is also a credit card. So everytime you got to show your membership card you're also flashing all your credit card details WTF, some may say.
  • Reply 22 of 54
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    It looks like they're creeping up on a billion. It seems to be going at about a million per day. It's at 992 million as I type this, so it'll probably be a week or less. That was quick.
  • Reply 23 of 54
    well dude, you have to just buy those songs for your aunt with your own credit card and burn her a CD. she'll love it (and you...awwwww)
  • Reply 24 of 54
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,600member
    Quote:

Originally posted by BRussell

It looks like they're creeping up on a billion. It seems to be going at about a million per day. It's at 992 million as I type this, so it'll probably be a week or less. That was quick.

It's about 3 million a day. Last night it was 989 million.
  • Reply 25 of 54
    Quote:

Originally posted by icibaqu

well dude, you have to just buy those songs for your aunt with your own credit card and burn her a CD. she'll love it (and you...awwwww)

heh. let's just say the bitTorrent fairy came and helped us out
  • Reply 26 of 54
    994 million
  • Reply 27 of 54
    Quote:

Originally posted by sunilraman

994 million

It's about 2:20 am Tuesday here in NYC, so at about 3 million a day this should be finished by early Thurday morn at the latest.
  • Reply 28 of 54
    995 million at around noon Eastern time. It will probably speed up as we get closer. I'm guessing Thursday too.
  • Reply 29 of 54
    Quote:

995 million at around noon Eastern time. It will probably speed up as we get closer. I'm guessing Thursday too.

Right now, according to their counter, it's running at about 1,200 a minute.

But, yeah, as it gets right to the mark, everyone will be holding their fingers over the order button, hoping to be THE ONE.

Just like with Ebay.
  • Reply 30 of 54
    Hmm, I'm actually starting to think Wednesday. It's at 997+ at around midnight Tuesday night. I'll guess Wednesday afternoon CA time.
  • Reply 31 of 54
    Originally posted by melgross

Right now, according to their counter, it's running at about 1,200 a minute...But, yeah, as it gets right to the mark, everyone will be holding their fingers over the order button, hoping to be THE ONE......Just like with Ebay.

heh. sniping on eBay is teh fun except when you don't succeed
  • Reply 32 of 54
    rageousrageous Posts: 2,170member
    the only problem with the sniping idea is that the number jumps, sometimes by several thousand, right as it gets close to the 100,000 mark.

i've seen it do this 3 or 4 times at least. twice i've seen it go from about 5,000 short to 2,000 over in a flash.
  • Reply 33 of 54
    Quote:

Originally posted by rageous

the only problem with the sniping idea is that the number jumps, sometimes by several thousand, right as it gets close to the 100,000 mark.

i've seen it do this 3 or 4 times at least. twice i've seen it go from about 5,000 short to 2,000 over in a flash.

Thing is, we have no idea how accurate it is. It seems slow now, for example. but it has to be much faster during the day, because most Tunes are bought here in the US, and when most people are awake.
  • Reply 34 of 54
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    I'm guessing that to have a shot at actually hitting the 1B number, one should click "Buy" at around 25 or 35k before. You've got to assume that there's a little bit of a delay in the information posting to the site.
  • Reply 35 of 54
    Quote:

Originally posted by CosmoNut

I'm guessing that to have a shot at actually hitting the 1B number, one should click "Buy" at around 25 or 35k before. You've got to assume that there's a little bit of a delay in the information posting to the site.

I don't know. The counter could be off by a 100 thousand at this time. It's not an actual count. I read in several places that it's just an estimate based on average buying rates.

I not sure what will happen when it gets close. Maybe it will change to an actual count. But, I'm not certain if the system can do that. Getting real-time buys immediatly out to the counter may be impossible.
  • Reply 36 of 54
    Quote:

Originally posted by CosmoNut

Maybe, but who knows, it could even be a bit ahead.
  • Reply 37 of 54
    Quote:

Maybe, but who knows, it could even be a bit ahead.

Right now, it has certainly speeded up! I counted a bit over 3,000 songs a minute!

At this rate, my estimate of early Thursday morn will be very close. Unless the sales speed changes again, it should hit slightly before 1:00 am NYC time.

I'll be watching.
  • Reply 38 of 54
    sandausandau Posts: 1,230member
    the counter hasn't caught up, but I'd say its over 1Billion already.
  • Reply 39 of 54
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    We're within 65k now.
  • Reply 40 of 54
    sandausandau Posts: 1,230member
    so how does this thing work...is it when you click, purchase, or when you start your download of each song you get an entry? If so, people are backlogged 100,000, imho.