Running MacBooks with the lid shut?

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Quick question - I might consider replacing my Mac mini with a 12in or 13.3in Mac Book Pro at some point if I can use it satisfactorily through my 20in cinema display. Basically, can I start up the Mac Book, shut the lid and happily use it through my Cinema Display using my bluetooth keyboard and mouse?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 22
    Quote:

Originally posted by G_Warren

Quick question - I might consider replacing my Mac mini with a 12in or 13.3in Mac Book Pro at some point if I can use it satisfactorily through my 20in cinema display. Basically, can I start up the Mac Book, shut the lid and happily use it through my Cinema Display using my bluetooth keyboard and mouse?

Uhhh...suuuure...why not? I do it all the time with my MacBook Pro.

btw...nobody's received a MacBook Pro yet...so nobody knows.
  • Reply 2 of 22
    Quote:

If a PowerBook can do it (I think it can), then chances are the MacBook Pro (still can't get my head around that name) can too.
  • Reply 3 of 22
    Thanks for the info. Might consider replacing the Mac mini with a Mac Book Pro then eventually. Is it fairly safe to run them shut 95% of the time?

Also, am I right in saying that this function isn't supported on the iBook (sure it wasn't on my old one). Can it be performed with a hack, and any thoughts on whether this will likely be the same with the iBook replacement?
  • Reply 4 of 22
    I'm using my powerbook that way right now, and I do a majority of the time. The only catch is that I generally want to open the lid before I detach the cinema display so it detects the laptop screen as a monitor. Otherwise I have to restart it in order to use it!
  • Reply 5 of 22
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Heat kills display backlights. Just so you know, by running it that way you're going to make the backlight degrade much more rapidly than otherwise.
  • Reply 6 of 22
    Quote:

Originally posted by OBJRA10

I'm using my powerbook that way right now, and I do a majority of the time. The only catch is that I generally want to open the lid before I detach the cinema display so it detects the laptop screen as a monitor. Otherwise I have to restart it in order to use it!

Does the screen button on the keyboard not sort that for you?
  • Reply 7 of 22
    http://www.apple.com/macbookpro/graphics.html

With Mac OS X, you get three options for using your display: dual-display mode, video mirroring, and lid-closed mode.

Don't expect to use the iSight that way though

I hope it doesn't degrade anything in lid-closed mode as I'm gonna use it on my MBP when it comes
  • Reply 8 of 22
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,953member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Kickaha

Heat kills display backlights. Just so you know, by running it that way you're going to make the backlight degrade much more rapidly than otherwise.

Is a Mac laptop dumb enough to leave the screen on when closed?
  • Reply 9 of 22
    Quote:

Originally posted by JeffDM

Is a Mac laptop dumb enough to leave the screen on when closed?

Macs *go to sleep* when closed, automatically. The heat comes from the CPU/GPU. If it is on, it's generating heat, and the heat degrades the backlight whether the backlight is on or not.

There are hacks to prevent it going to sleep when you close the lid, but I wouldn't do it with my own laptop.

If you run it closed, such that the backlight is heated by the rest of the computer, you will degrade the backlight's lifespan, possibly significantly.

Since the backlight is non-replaceable without replacing the screen, and since the screen is one of the most expensive components of the laptop, the basic result is that you're only quickening the depreciation of your machine.

Many Windows laptops give you the option of continuing to run the machine with the lid closed. Some Windows users want to continue that ability, not realizing why it's a bad thing.
  • Reply 10 of 22
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,953member
    Quote:

the heat degrades the backlight whether the backlight is on or not.

Do you have anything to back that up?
  • Reply 11 of 22
    Quote:

Does the screen button on the keyboard not sort that for you?

yeah, I guess that would work
  • Reply 12 of 22
    Quote:

Macs *go to sleep* when closed, automatically. The heat comes from the CPU/GPU. If it is on, it's generating heat, and the heat degrades the backlight whether the backlight is on or not.

There are hacks to prevent it going to sleep when you close the lid, but I wouldn't do it with my own laptop.

If you run it closed, such that the backlight is heated by the rest of the computer, you will degrade the backlight's lifespan, possibly significantly.

Since the backlight is non-replaceable without replacing the screen, and since the screen is one of the most expensive components of the laptop, the basic result is that you're only quickening the depreciation of your machine.

Many Windows laptops give you the option of continuing to run the machine with the lid closed. Some Windows users want to continue that ability, not realizing why it's a bad thing.

I'm not sure I buy it. But anyway.

If you connect an external display it wakes it up

Also, I would think that Applecare would cover any damage to the "backlight." For that matter, I'm going to cook this baby! If I time it right, and "degrade" it just as the supply of current powerbooks is out, maybe I'll get a 2nd Gen MacBook Pro.
  • Reply 13 of 22
    Quote:

Originally posted by JeffDM

Do you have anything to back that up?

I'll see what I can find. What would satisfy you?

Here's an LCD vs. DLP project test that shows significant degradation of the LCDs from heat: http://www.findarticles.com/p/articl...4/ai_ziff41131

Here's an interesting look at the halflife of backlights. Note the spikes from heat increases of room temperature... heat -> more active plasma. Since the plasma has a finite life, it's not unreasonable to conclude heat -> shorter life. I'd love to see more conclusive evidence, of course: http://www.landmarktek.com/html/TK801.pdf

This one discusses the degradation of LCD performance above 50deg C: http://www.flomerics.com/flotherm/te...apers/t229.pdf

Snippet at the end of this one mentions LCD degradation from heat and light: http://www.commandaustralia.com.au/views/dlpvlcd.shtml

Nothing definite that I can find, but lots to back up the basic premise that heat is bad for screens in general.
  • Reply 14 of 22
    I'm not sure if the heat from it degrades the processor. Speaking from a non-technical standpoint, my powerbook never distributes heat through the keyboard/trackpad area, only the bottom and sides, so I'm not sure why that would have an affect of the screen.

I will have to try this later, I will let you know what I find out, but you should even be able to use the power button on the side of the cinema display to wake it up. I use that button to wake my powermac all the time.

Thanks, Justin.
  • Reply 15 of 22
    Hi,

I operate my 15", 1.5GHz powerbook with the lid closed all the time at the office. It's hook to an external display and keyboard. It will only operate in this mode with the power supply plugged in and a keyboard attached.

Regarding the heat I have felt the top of the book many time (presumably where the backlight is) and not noticed anything excessive like the bottom of the system. I don't believe that the temperature of the display rises to the point of significant degredation. Most of the references offered have shown a decrease in luminance with temperature, but that is mostly a reversable effect. There is no way the backlight of the system in this mode would approach 50 degC
  • Reply 16 of 22
    This may be less of an issue than it used to be. The old Wallstreet and Pismo designs didn't have side fans, but vented *through the keyboard*. Elegant solution, but it made running it with the lid closed a serious problem... not for the backlight and LCD, but for the whole system.

*shrug* I still wouldn't run mine in that fashion for any extended period of time. Once in a while for short periods? Yeah. All the time, or even regularly? Nope.
  • Reply 17 of 22
    "With Mac OS X, you get three options for using your display: dual-display mode, video mirroring, and lid-closed mode."

Since I'm not even a mac user yet I don't know about the old laptops but this one they planned a way for you to do that.
  • Reply 18 of 22
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Quote:

Which is why I dont get lid closed mode at all -- why not just leave the lid open and turn off the LCD and/or the backlight(PC laptops can do this with a funciton command, usually Fn+F5/Fn+f6)

Just keep the lid open about two or three inches, enough to encure the heat cant build up in the lamp, it isnt like you are going to stack stuff on your notebook...unless you are either too rich or too stupid for your own good.
  • Reply 19 of 22
    Hmm, fair points. Was just a though really - my mini currrently sits under my desk on top of a set of desk drawers, and I envisaged popping a Mac Book on there instead, letting me use it elsewhere occasionally. It would be nice to do this, but given the concerns highlighted here, maybe it isn't such a good option since it would be run like this 95% of the time.
  • Reply 20 of 22
    vineavinea Posts: 5,585member
    Quote:

Originally posted by a_greer

Just keep the lid open about two or three inches, enough to encure the heat cant build up in the lamp, it isnt like you are going to stack stuff on your notebook...unless you are either too rich or too stupid for your own good.

Or you have a monitor stand above the docking station...