Running MacBooks with the lid shut?

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 22
    fishafisha Posts: 126member
    personally i dont see the lid closed thing being so much of an issue these days.

From my own expeience, I run my current laptop ( ThinkPad T41 ) all day with the lid closed and using a 20" CRT monitor. I've been doing this for the last 6 years at work across about 4 main work machines that i've had over the years. In no case have I seen any degredation in the quality of the backlight of the panels on the laptops.

I just lifted the lid up to feel its warmth and its only ever so slightly warm. Its certainly not anything like hot or 50°. I think these newer Intel chips do run way way way cooler than older ones.

If with the lid closed temperatures got that hot, then you have to assume that it would get close to the same temp with the lid open and your hands on the keyboard . . . if that were the casem surely the thing would be unsuable due to the heat of it on your hands.

Perhaps i'm spoiled through using Thinkpads for the last number of years, but stacking stuff on top doesn't make much difference either . . . nor does picking up the whole thing by the top corner of the lid.
  • Reply 22 of 22
    messiahmessiah Posts: 1,689member
    With regards to heat ? you want to feel how hot a Cinema Display gets during normal usage. The top of my 30" (and the other three that I had) gets REALLY hot!