MacBook Pro announcement may pave way for dual-core iBooks

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Apple's announcement today that it has dropped the 1.67GHz Intel Core Duo processor from its professional MacBook Pro line -- in favor of using faster chips -- presents the possibility that the company may now adopt that low-end 1.67GHz dual-core processor for use in its forthcoming consumer iBook notebooks.

In recent months, sources reported on several advancements and design changes expected with the first Intel iBooks, but were for the most part mum on specifically which Intel processors the notebooks would include. (Quite possibly because this spec may be loose and subject to change at the drop of a dime, as today's announcements have proven.)

Based on marketing logic and the fact that Apple's professional and consumer notebooks have long been distinguished by a variation in their processor specs, AppleInsider had derived that the iBooks would utilize single-core Intel Core Solo processors, as outlined in a recent report.

The 1.67GHz Intel Core Duo processor is currently the slowest dual-core chip on Intel's new mobile processor roadmap, meaning that iBooks would have likely had to sport a single core 1.67GHz Core Solo processor to differentiate themselves from a 1.67GHz Core Duo MacBook Pro. Now that Apple has shelved plans for a 1.67GHz Core Duo MacBook Pro, instead bumping this model to 1.83GHz free-of-charge, this may not be the case.

According to Intel's price listing for the Core Solo and Core Duo, Apple stands to save only $32 dollars by opting to include a 1.67GHz Core Solo processor, rather than a 1.67GHz Core Duo, in any of its forthcoming products. The chips reportedly cost $209 and $241, respectively. On the other hand, Intel's 2.16GHz Core Duo processor costs approximately $217 more than the 2.0GHz model, somewhat justifying Apple's $300 upgrade fee from 2.0GHz to 2.16GHz on the MacBook Pro.

Applying the same logic, it's also possible that Apple could pack the 1.67GHz Core Duo into its forthcoming Intel Mac mini desktop systems. However, since the Mac mini is entry-level system, this may be less likely.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 73
    lorrelorre Posts: 396member
    Hmmmm I don't know... I think Apple would like a bigger performance gap between iBook and Macbook (or whatever they're called) than they used to have with G4's, also not using the dual core in the iBook would leave some room for a 13.3" Macbook Pro.
  • Reply 2 of 73
    I think Apple would be wise to go with the dual core for the iBook replacement. If the difference is $32 in quantities of 1,000 then it will be a lot less with Apple's volume.

The key is that it can let Apple promote all dual cores for all notebooks. That would have more of an impact in the university student market than K-12. It's like around 1960 when American Airlines advertised big time that they were the first airline to be 100% jets. It would also just about ensure that the Mac mini was a dual.
  • Reply 3 of 73
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Lorre

Hmmmm I don't know... I think Apple would like a bigger performance gap between iBook and Macbook (or whatever they're called) than they used to have with G4's, also not using the dual core in the iBook would leave some room for a 13.3" Macbook Pro.

Instead, it could be a feature gap between the two lines, but maybe the 1.66 Duo could be the high end iBook, the low end might have a Solo.
  • Reply 4 of 73
    nagrommenagromme Posts: 2,834member
    With the new "MacBook" naming, I don't think Appl intends to be limited to JUST two lines. Like they've done with iPods (mini, photo, shuffle, nano), they can introduce any model that makes sense at the time.

I do think that the bottom-most model will have a Core Solo. If anybody uses Core Solo, why not Apple? (But I can see pressure from multiple companies on Intel to lower Core Solo pricing.)

The iBook IS entry-level, like the Mac Mini. And I think whatever replaces the iBook will have a bottom-end model with Core Solo. However, having some duals in the middle is possible too.

Likewise I expect the cheapest Mini to have Core Solo. But if there's a higher model with Core Duo, that will be one great machine! Practically on a par with an iMac.
  • Reply 5 of 73
    ryanhryanh Posts: 116member
    I disagree.

The 1.6 Core Duo will be used in a 13.3" MacBook Pro that will effectively replace the 12" PowerBook G4.

The Core Solo's will still be used in iBooks [MacBooks?] and probably the mac mini's until 2 Rev's down the road or so. By that time there will be a big enough disparity between the the MacBook Pros and the consumer based notebooks.
  • Reply 6 of 73
    A 1.6Ghz Celeron M is $134 and still quicker than the last G4s in the iBook. Apple would shave $160 off the low end MacBook Pro cost.
  • Reply 7 of 73
    gargar Posts: 1,201member
    Quote:

Originally posted by aegisdesign

A 1.6Ghz Celeron M is $134 and still quicker than the last G4s in the iBook. Apple would shave $160 off the low end MacBook Pro cost.

doesn't that mean that they have to build a new motherboarddesign for obsolete technology instead of using that of the macbookpro?

i have no clue.

the option of 1,67Ghz core solo for iBook/Mac mini and 1,67Ghz core duo for a 12"powerbook replacement sounds very plausible.
  • Reply 8 of 73
    Quote:

Originally posted by gar

doesn't that mean that they have to build a new motherboarddesign for obsolete technology instead of using that of the macbookpro?

i have no clue.

The Celeron M was released the same time as the Core.
  • Reply 9 of 73
    Quote:

Originally posted by Lorre

I disagree. Apple is now using Intel. That means they have to compete against the notebooks from all the other pc makers. For the price difference of only 30 dollars, most notebooks will use Duo. If Apple adopts Solo for the iBook, then it will look really bad.

This is especially ture because, at this point, software is still being ported. It is very likely that iBook Solo will not be able to compete with pc notebooks, nor with iBook G4 for that matter.

I think Duo Core is a must for the iBook.
  • Reply 10 of 73
    What's interesting fodder is if Apple doesn't plan on using the DC 1.67GHz in iBooks, why wouldn't they have then offered it as a MacBook Pro configuration to at least lower the entry level into that line?

1.67GHz DC 15-inch MacBook Pro at $1,799 ($1,599 edu) would have been great.

So obviously the 1.67GHz Duo is headed for the iBooks ...er... MacBooks.
  • Reply 11 of 73
    rokrok Posts: 3,519member
    i still wouldn't be surprised to see a super-small MacBook nano. see how small a laptop can really get and still be functional and competitive.
  • Reply 12 of 73
    aw man.

you guys are right, I suppose. looks like I'll be waiting until next year for a Core Duo iBook. at least it gives me more reason to use this iBook until it's completely ready for an upgrade.
  • Reply 13 of 73
    shanmugamshanmugam Posts: 1,200member
    my gut feeling is that there will be three lines ...

Mac Book Mini (Black & White)

13.3" Two configs

1.66 Ghz Solo - $999

1.66 Ghz Duo - $1199

Possible integrated graphics...

(for K1-12 students)

Mac Book (Alu Casing???)

13.3" Two Configs

1.67 Ghz Duo - $1299

1.83 Ghz Duo - $1499

(for College/prosumers)

NO 13.3" MacBook Pro!!!

the specs will widen once Merom and other processors available, and old processors will be upgraded and passed on to MacBook and MacBook Mini
  • Reply 14 of 73
    19841984 Posts: 955member
    There is also a low-voltage 1.5 GHz dual core available. This would be ideal for use in a laptop like the (iBook) MacBook.
  • Reply 15 of 73
    Quote:

Originally posted by 1984

There is also a low-voltage 1.5 GHz dual core available. This would be ideal for use in a laptop like the (iBook) MacBook.

Low Voltage CPUs will be much costlier than T version, unless APPLE can get big discount, i do not see that happening...
  • Reply 16 of 73
    I have to agree that Apple will go for the low cost Celeron processor. There is no way they are going to give away the house for a $999 iBook. The iBook buyer is cost conscious and it makes much more sense to spend $75 less on the processor, and then charge $150 less to the customer. Apple will sell more if it can get the iBook down to $799 or $899. Spending a lot on the processor part doesn't make sense.

Apple has already shown with the MacBook Pro that they don't intend to compete dollar for dollar with PC Notebooks.

And the Mac Mini will certainly get the cheapest thing. Every dollar counts on a $499 machine.
  • Reply 17 of 73
    eckingecking Posts: 1,588member
    Wow I wish I had read this before I started a thread about it.

I'm envisioning:

ENTRY LEVEL IMACBOOK:

13.3 Inch Wide Screen

1.83 Ghz Core Solo(If it doesn't exist then 1.67)

40 GB Serial ATA 5400 RPM

512MB RAM (expandable to 1.5GB)

SuperDrive (DVD±RW/CD-RW)

64MB ATI Graphics

iSight

Front Row

Remote

$999

HIGH LEVEL IMACBOOK

13.3 Inch Wide Screen

1.67Ghz Core Duo

60 GB Serial ATA 5400 RPM

512MB RAM (expandable to 1.5GB)

Super Drive (DVD±RW/CD-RW)

64MB ATI Graphics(BTO 128MB)

iSight

Front Row

Remote

$1299

That would be ideal imo
  • Reply 18 of 73
    Quote:

afiak, the yonah based celeron m (celeron m 4xx) hasnt been released aoy.

the dothan-celeron is pretty ok too, but is has crippled power management...

edit:

something just hit me: isnt sse3 required for macos x86?

anyhow, yonah introduces that for the laptop pentiums...
  • Reply 19 of 73
    andersanders Posts: 6,523member
    What is the price difference between the current G4s in the iBook and the Core Solo and Core Duo chips? I think that will say alot about what will go into iBook.
  • Reply 20 of 73
    gargar Posts: 1,201member
    Quote:

so?

is it a drop in replacement?