Apple updates iTunes and iLife '06 applications

Comments

• Reply 21 of 48
    Well I haven't seen anyone talking about iPhoto yet. I'm wondering am I the only one with serious problems? I'm talking problems of a Microsoftian nature.

So I've been using iLife '06 that came with my new iMac core duo and it was bombing pretty frequently the past month. I can't recall the different bugs but there were at least 5, ranging from little things like locking certain albums and not allowing me to edit until I closed and restarted to consitently completely blowing up in the middle of making calendars. I have never seen an Apple program so bad.

Anyway, here's the point. I was quite excited to install yesterday's updates. I shouldn't have been. NOW IT WILL NOT RUN AT ALL!!

It begins to start, I get the iPhoto window, I see it "Loading Photos...." for a second and then boom: Application Shutdown! Anyone else in the same boat?
  • Reply 22 of 48
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Louzer

BTW, for those that have installed 6.0.3, can you tell me whether it fixes the bug in 6.0.2 that affected smart playlists and star ratings? I updated to 6.0.2 on my iBook, but not my PowerMac because of this.

(In case you don't know what it is, if you create a smart playlist, pick "My Rating" and try to set it to 2 or 3, it would jump to 4 or 5 instead. It acts like its doubling the star value.)

I don't remember adjusting it in 6.0.2, but the "my rating" line in a smart playlist edit works properly for me.
  • Reply 23 of 48
    My only bitch about the whole suite of applications is with iWeb. If you try to export your project into a folder, instead of .Mac, it breaks the RSS link. I realize that this is probably a small issue, but it does break the whole "It Just Works" theme of the Mac.

I already submitted my bug report, and I haven't heard anything back yet.

Anyone else have this issue??
  • Reply 24 of 48
    kishankishan Posts: 732member
    Quote:

Originally posted by joblowski

Well I haven't seen anyone talking about iPhoto yet. I'm wondering am I the only one with serious problems? I'm talking problems of a Microsoftian nature.

So I've been using iLife '06 that came with my new iMac core duo and it was bombing pretty frequently the past month. I can't recall the different bugs but there were at least 5, ranging from little things like locking certain albums and not allowing me to edit until I closed and restarted to consitently completely blowing up in the middle of making calendars. I have never seen an Apple program so bad.

Anyway, here's the point. I was quite excited to install yesterday's updates. I shouldn't have been. NOW IT WILL NOT RUN AT ALL!!

It begins to start, I get the iPhoto window, I see it "Loading Photos...." for a second and then boom: Application Shutdown! Anyone else in the same boat?

Nothing so dramatic, but AirTunes doesn't seem to work anymore...
  • Reply 25 of 48
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Mike Eggleston

If you try to export your project into a folder, instead of .Mac, it breaks the RSS link.

But isn't the RSS link tied to your iDisk/.Mac account? If that's not where your site is hosted then it makes sense that the RSS feed would stop working.
  • Reply 26 of 48
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Skeptik

Apple should spare a thought for those that have slow dialup outside Europe and the US.

How about you just leave your system updating before you go to bed at night? When you get up it should be done.
  • Reply 27 of 48
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Mike Eggleston

My only bitch about the whole suite of applications is with iWeb. If you try to export your project into a folder, instead of .Mac, it breaks the RSS link. I realize that this is probably a small issue, but it does break the whole "It Just Works" theme of the Mac.

I already submitted my bug report, and I haven't heard anything back yet.

Anyone else have this issue??

Apple doesn't reply to individual bug reports.
  • Reply 28 of 48
    sjksjk Posts: 603member
    Quote:

Originally posted by kim kap sol

I don't think I've ever seen iTunes crash, ever.

Not here either, ever.

Some of the problems people have iTunes are likely related to third party software. Making modifications inside the application bundle (e.g. theme hacking) seems especially risky.

iPhoto 5 is the only Apple app that's given me significant ongoing trouble (e.g. Force Quit required after externally editing an image with PhotoShop Elements and other "random" beachball lockups). Various library repairs have temporarily fixed it but the problems eventually return. Hopefully iPhoto 6 (upgrading soon, now that 6.0.1 is out) will permanently squash that mysteriously frustrating bug.

Safari has been satisfyingly stable lately, maybe last crashing about two months ago. Still waiting for a robust "standalone" saved session manager plugin (with crash recovery), improving on what the Saft plugin provides (its other features are superfluous for me).
  • Reply 29 of 48
    Quote:

Originally posted by Louzer

Hey apple, try testing longer, and updating less. You're customers would appreciate it!

Can we say a collective "Amen"!!!
  • Reply 30 of 48
    sjksjk Posts: 603member
    Quote:

Originally posted by mikef

Or do a clone/backup prior to installing the updates and revert to the backup in the event of problems...

SuperDuper!'s Sandbox feature is useful for reverting to a pre-updated system, if you have resources for setting that up.
  • Reply 31 of 48
    Quote:

Originally posted by CosmoNut

But isn't the RSS link tied to your iDisk/.Mac account? If that's not where your site is hosted then it makes sense that the RSS feed would stop working.

Actually, that would be poor design. iWeb creates the RSS file in the folder it is "RSSing" (for lack of a better word). iWeb transforms the like from a relative link (which works), to a static link (and that fails). The reason why it fails is it makes the link the path of where the file is located on my machine, preceded by the URL path that I supply it, when it asks for it in the export screen.

There is no reason why this should not work.
  • Reply 32 of 48
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    A lot you are having far more problems than I.

I updated my G5 and PowerBook and everything is fine.

I don't use hacks or third party alterations and am not having any problems in those areas. If you do use hacks or an abundance of third party alterations that don't work correctly seems unfair to blame Apple.

One of the biggest issues I was having was Safari crashing when I had too many tabs open. Everytime it crashed I sent the report to Apple figuring they should get the message that this is a big problem. Now that seems to be fixed.

The next issue I'm having is with Quicktime. I'm still using QT 7.0.3 because 7.0.4 breaks my QT Pro license. I don't know what benefit comes from 7.0.4 so I'm in ignorant bliss with 7.0.3.
  • Reply 33 of 48
    Quote:

Friends of mine just updated their version of itunes to 6.0.2 because she was tired of seeing the 'there's an update' message. They joke about how there seems to be an almost unending stream of updates to the software, and you can't deny it.

Keeping in mind the swiss cheese nature of Windows those updates more than likely contain serious security upgrades.

I can agree with you in one sense. I would uncheck and ignore unimportant downloads like the one for the iTunes phone. I'm not going to buy one of those so I don't need the software for it.

Looks like the iTunes phone software may have snuck in somehow though because I no longer see it in Software Updater.
  • Reply 34 of 48
    Quote:

Originally posted by TenoBell

A lot you are having far more problems than I.

I updated my G5 and PowerBook and everything is fine.

I don't use hacks or third party alterations and am not having any problems in those areas. If you do use hacks or an abundance of third party alterations that don't work correctly seems unfair to blame Apple.

One of the biggest issues I was having was Safari crashing when I had too many tabs open. Everytime it crashed I sent the report to Apple figuring they should get the message that this is a big problem. Now that seems to be fixed.

The next issue I'm having is with Quicktime. I'm still using QT 7.0.3 because 7.0.4 breaks my QT Pro license. I don't know what benefit comes from 7.0.4 so I'm in ignorant bliss with 7.0.3.

Problems with hacks and alterations doesn't mean that there aren't real problems with the main program, even if you have never encountered them. My sister's iTunes installation has NO third party extensions, alterations and hacks. Maybe I should suggest that you have alterations on Quicktime because I haven't had a problem with it yet, and I do have a legal Pro licence.
  • Reply 35 of 48
    mikefmikef Posts: 698member
    Quote:

Originally posted by sjk

SuperDuper!'s Sandbox feature is useful for reverting to a pre-updated system, if you have resources for setting that up.

I'll have to look into that. I am a new Super Duper user, but never done anything more than clone for backup purposes.
  • Reply 36 of 48
    Quote:

Problems with hacks and alterations doesn't mean that there aren't real problems with the main program, even if you have never encountered them.

Seems to me clearly I was not saying this. I said in my statement I do not use hacks and I gave two examples of apps that have problems in the code.

I clearly said those who are using hacks or alterations should not blame Apple for problems. If you or any friends or relatives have problems but are not using hacks then my statement does not apply and needs no rebuttle.

The Quicktime 7.0.4 is a well known and documented problem. So much so that Apple offered a software reversion back to 7.0.1. If you have no problems with it you are fortunate.
  • Reply 37 of 48
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Quote:

Originally posted by AppleInsider

iTunes 6.0.3 Update

According to Apple, iTunes 6.0.3 (54MB)

Ummmm...how is it that a PATCH can be 54MB on a media player?!?!?

You essentialy have a front end to an XML database that calls media to be played via the included codecs, Other than crypto for the god damned DRM, iTunes does just what Winamp did in 1999 in a ~7 MB download...Whats with the bloat?
  • Reply 38 of 48
    Quote:

Originally posted by a_greer

Ummmm...how is it that a PATCH can be 54MB on a media player?!?!?

You essentialy have a front end to an XML database that calls media to be played via the included codecs, Other than crypto for the god damned DRM, iTunes does just what Winamp did in 1999 in a ~7 MB download...Whats with the bloat?

At first glance, I thought it was the full size of iTunes + Quicktime, but iTunes 6.0.3 separate download is 19.x MB, Quicktime Installer was 49MB.
  • Reply 39 of 48
    mikefmikef Posts: 698member
    Quote:

Originally posted by a_greer

Such hostility

Seriously though, I agree. I like iTunes but I don't think it needs to be as large as it is. I'm sure it's not solely the DRM code that's causing the bloat.
  • Reply 40 of 48
    Quote:

Originally posted by mikef

Such hostility

Seriously though, I agree. I like iTunes but I don't think it needs to be as large as it is. I'm sure it's not solely the DRM code that's causing the bloat.

Is it possible that a chunk of it could be international language-related stuff?