Apple serves DMCA notice to OSx86 Project

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Apple is moving to prevent further discussion of running its Mac OS X operating system on generic Intel-based machines, reports MacNN.

Apple's legal team this week notified the OSx86 Project -- a site dedicated to enabling Mac OS X to run on non-Apple-branded machines -- that it is in violation of the United States DMCA (Digital Millennium Copyright Act), forcing the site to close down its user forms and post notice.

"We're sorry to report that despite our best efforts, the OSx86 Project has been served with a DMCA violation notice," reads a note on the OSx86 Project Web site. "The forum will be unavailable while we evaluate its contents to remove any violations present. We thank you for your patience in this matter."

Apple has gone through extensive efforts to develop and install technology to prevent users from running Mac OS X on computers other than Macs; however, hackers have been able to successfully work around many of the security mechanisms in the operating system and recently posted instructions and discussion of how to alter Mac OS X 10.4.4 to run on generic Intel-based machines.

Earlier this week, the OSx86 wesite uncovered a secret poem embedded by Apple in the code of Mac OS X for Intel, urging hackers not to work around Mac OS X security mechanisms.

The poem reads: "Your karma check for today: There once was a user that whined/his existing OS was so blind/he'd do better to pirate/an OS that ran great/but found his hardware declined./Please don't steal Mac OS!/Really, that's way uncool./(C) Apple Computer, Inc."

Apple also put in a separate hidden message, "Don't Steal Mac OS X.kext," in another spot for would-be hackers.

"We can confirm that this text is built into our products," Apple said in a statement to the Associated Press. "Hopefully it, and many other legal warnings, will remind people that they should not steal Mac OS X."

Comments

• Reply 1 of 145
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    This wouldnt be a problem if people could GIVE APPLE MONEY to run it on their perfectly good non-Apple hardware...that asside

Why is it illegal to run software on unintended hardware???? If you own an Intel Mac (or buy Tiger retail UB when availible) , then you own a license to use OSx, and because you are not presented with and made to agree to the EULA before the software is opened and un-returnable, then I dont see how it is legaly binding, any front pourch lawyers (or real ones) want to tackle that?.

To give an annalogy: If I buy a body kit intended for a Honda Civic and modify it to work on a Ford Focus, that is perfectly legal, but if I BUY osx which is intended for Apple hardware and run it on a dell, HP, or Gateway, I am a criminal??? what gives?

I DO NOT support the people who were DLing the image, they were breaking the law and should be punished as such, but if you buy it, it is yours.

Running software that you bought on hardware you own isnt "stealing"...GROW UP APPLE!
  • Reply 2 of 145
    zunxzunx Posts: 620member
    Quote:

Originally posted by a_greer

Running software that you bought on hardware you own isnt "stealing"...GROW UP APPLE!

Absolutely true. Besides, the tremendous exposure of Mac OS X on any PC out there would be great to expand Mac OS X market share from 3% to 50%. Apple is missing a historic opportunity because once Windows and Linux people use Mac OS X many millions of them will not go back and purchase Macs!
  • Reply 3 of 145
    andersanders Posts: 6,523member
    Nonetheless its part of the agreement when you install the OS: You agree to only use it on a mac.
  • Reply 4 of 145
    Quote:

Originally posted by Anders

Nonetheless its part of the agreement when you install the OS: You agree to only use it on a mac.

BUT: in the eyes of the law, you cant know that before buying the software: and you cannot return an opened softeare packege to (insert store here) because you disagree with the eula
  • Reply 5 of 145
    mr. memr. me Posts: 3,221member
    Quote:

Why is it illegal to run software on unintended hardware???? If you own an Intel Mac (or buy Tiger retail UB when availible) , then you own a license to use OSx, and because you are not presented with and made to agree to the EULA before the software is opened and un-returnable, then I dont see how it is legaly binding, any front pourch lawyers (or real ones) want to tackle that?.

Actually, this is not quite right. Apple owns the software and sets the terms and conditions for its use. You purchased a license to use the software on Apple hardware, a condition of your your license. The EULA is printed on the shrinkwrap box, which you agree to when you open the box. This is not at all like an automobile which you own as taxable property.

Rather than violating the terms of your EULA, the proper thing to do is to take it to court. You may be able to get the courts to declare that software is purchased when a user and vendor exchange money for its use.
  • Reply 6 of 145
    aplnubaplnub Posts: 2,605member
    I had been wondering where those legal guys/gals had been hiding...

That's too bad, it was a fun site to watch...
  • Reply 7 of 145
    If you can't understand why Apple is doing this, then you are retarded. Do you really want Mac OS X Install Disc and Upgrades to have all the anti-piracy serial numbers and online verification that Windows has??? Because if they don't stop people from installing illegal copies of Mac OS on PC's they will lose large amounts of money and become nothing but an MP3 Player company.

If Apple loses big in their hardware sales, then we all as Mac users lose. Apple is mainly a Hardware company, always has and always been, except for those few years under Gil Amelio. And if anyone remembers, under Gil's bright ideas Apple's stock reached a 12 year low.

If people bought Mac OS X for the sole purpose of installing it on a PC without buying Mac Hardware, you can bet that the price for the Mac OS would at least double, if not triple. And I for one don't want to have to enter a serial number everytime I install or upgrade the OS or have the system call back to Apple through the internet to make sure I am the sole user of my license.
  • Reply 8 of 145
    sekiosekio Posts: 150member
    What I would like to know is WHY people would want to instal OSX on non Mac Hardware. Ok, I'm not completly naive, there are defiently reasons to do it, however, the great thing about Macs and OSX is everything is made to work perfectly. Part of the reason behind the shittiness of Windows is that there are so many computer manucactuers that Windows has to be made to work on that an incredible number of drivers and different settings have to be created to be able to work on as many computers as possible. So when you instal windows, it takes forever to get everything set up correctly (if you even can at all) and it's still going to be unstabel because of all this bullshit. Part of the reason I switched was to get away from all this.

Not to mention the face that Apple hardware is superior to most other PC hardware and it looks beautiful.
  • Reply 9 of 145
    Quote:

Originally posted by JohnnySmith

If you can't understand why Apple is doing this, then you are retarded. Do you really want Mac OS X Install Disc and Upgrades to have all the anti-piracy serial numbers and online verification that Windows has???

If it meant that I could run OSX on my non-apple boxes with Apples blessing, then it would be just fine with me.
  • Reply 10 of 145
    Quote:

Originally posted by Sekio

What I would like to know is WHY people would want to instal OSX on non Mac Hardware.

Apple hardware is beautifull, but I can build a very capable PC for less than half of an equal power mac.

And as for looks: Anteck makes some nice looking cases too...
  • Reply 11 of 145
    It's time to move the website off shore... simple as that!
  • Reply 12 of 145
    I'm sorry but EULA is not law.

Besides , all they have to do is move forums to a server thats overseas. DMCA tactics have fallen flat and is laughed at overseas.

Nothing against Apple , this had to be expected. They simply dont want us to install it on our PCs. Tough luck though , it gonna be running on non-mac hardware one way or another but nobody will use it as standard OS. It's gonna be pain in the azz to keep up with crashes / fixes /unsuported hardware / and also Apple introducing some kind of obstacle with every update.
  • Reply 13 of 145
    Quote:

Originally posted by skatman

It's time to move the website off shore... simple as that!

No, that won't work, the American government is having a hard time trying to realise where their borders end when it comes to the internet. I think they're working on the fact if it can be reached by someone in the US then it has to abide by the US law. Have you seen how the adult content website bill affects sites not hosted in the US? They have to do the exact same thing as American websites.
  • Reply 14 of 145
    Quote:

This wouldnt be a problem if people could GIVE APPLE MONEY to run it on their perfectly good non-Apple hardware...[AND SO ON...]

Please! Will you stop whining and buy a Mac already!? Seriously. How many times do we have to hear this? In order to run Mac OS X you have to buy a Mac. It's that simple. Really!
  • Reply 15 of 145
    Quote:

You purchase a license. You are provided with written information regarding that license. Your use of the product associated with that license is affirmation of your acceptance of the terms - whether you choose to read the license or not.

Quote:

You haven't "bought" the software, you bought a license.

I'm not saying you "shouldn't" be allowed to do it, but if the license prohibits it, it would be illegal.
  • Reply 16 of 145
    Quote:

Well, you know the system disks you receive with a PC? Your not allowed to install those on any other machines either, so you can forget trying to blame Apple. They are merely preventing people from bastardizing their OS.
  • Reply 17 of 145
    Quote:

Originally posted by AppleInsider

"Hopefully it, and many other legal warnings, will remind people that they should not steal Mac OS X."
    [ View this article at AppleInsider.com ]

Dear Apple,

Please explain to my how using your OS, which I paid for in a manner different from which you intended is "stealing" .

Last I checked, this was the definition of "theft" in the dictionary:

* To take (the property of another) without right or permission.

I'd like to know how using your product, which I paid for and now own, according to the doctrine of first sale, in a manner that you don't approve of make that product not really mine.

Oh, you licensed it to me, ok, fine. If my physical copy of the CD gets broken, that means you'll replace it free of charge, right? I mean, you wouldn't try to structure this arrangement in a way in which you get all the advantages of a physical sale (if I break mine I need to buy a new one), and a licensing deal (the license constricts me from doing what I want with the physical copy).

(To be fair, Apple doesn't include copy protection in their installer DVDs.)

So, Apple, please don't pervert the English language and call it "stealing". It's nothing more than "license violation".

kthxbye
  • Reply 18 of 145
    elixirelixir Posts: 782member
    i see it this way

aslong as MAc OSX software are ran on macs we wont have to deal with the stupid crap windows does. on top of that apple wont have to be sneaky and place malicious crap like sony did to prevent us from stealing software.

enough already.
  • Reply 19 of 145
    xoolxool Posts: 2,460member
    Would it be illegal to take my HD out of my intel Mac and attach it to my regular PC and then try and get it working?

This is a slightly different arrangement compared to illicit installs and disk images and the like.
  • Reply 20 of 145
    Quote:

Originally posted by JavaCowboy

Dear Apple,

Please explain to my how using your OS, which I paid for in a manner different from which you intended is "stealing" .

Last I checked, this was the definition of "theft" in the dictionary:

* To take (the property of another) without right or permission.

I'd like to know how using your product, which I paid for and now own, according to the doctrine of first sale, is not really mine.

Oh, you licensed to me, ok, fine. If my physical copy of the CD gets broken, that means you'll replace it free of charge, right? I mean, you wouldn't try to structure this arrangement in a way in which you get all the advantages of a physical sale (if I break mine I need to buy a new one), and a licensing deal (the license constricts me from doing what I want with the physical copy).

(To be fair, Apple doesn't include copy protection in their installer DVDs.)

So, Apple, please don't pervert the English language and call it "stealing". It's nothing more than "license violation".

kthxbye

Sometimes, my friend, there are rules and laws.

Sometimes, you can't just buy an airplane and fly it anywhere. There are air laws that you have to follow.

Sometimes, you can't just buy a car and drive it over 60mph or 100km/h in North America. Because there are laws.

Sometimes, you can't smash someone's face in while playing basketball because there are rules.

Sometimes...

Sometimes, a company wants you to run their software efficiently and as trouble-free as possible by requiring that you run it on their hardware.

Sometimes you'll go to jail for breaking laws, sometimes you'll just get fined. When rules aren't enforced, you won't be fined or go to jail but you'll be shunned by society.

And that's what's going on, JavaCowboy. What these people are doing is wrong according to a lot of people...it doesn't matter if you think these people are wrong...because these people = many and you = 1. Sowwy.

My take? I don't care if they pirate OS X or acquire it legally but install it on a PC and break the EULA just as long as the contribute to OS X by developing and porting software. If they're just in for the ride, however, and pirating other software such as FCP, Logic, Aperture, iLife and iWork, they can rot in hell.