How Bad Is The iMac???

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Ok so my family is going to get an iMac? Should I get a G5 or Intel Core Duo? I'm leaning towards the Intel Core Duo, because the whole G5 era is soon to be obsolete. The thing is I'm noticing negativity surrounding the Core Duo. One guy said he owns both, and his intel runs slow, while his wifes iMac g5 goes basically right when you click something (internet etc.). I hear the whole Rosetta is a RAM killer, and just some other negative things:

"It froze repeatedly and was constantly closing programs without notice."

"I bought the computer for my mother thinking that the simplicity and ease of use would be the perfect thing. She began using Quicken 2006 and within 2 weeks the harddrive completely crashed. Lost all information for all of our accounts. Apple Service came out to replace it, and the new drive is incredibly loud/vibrates too much. Not only that they didnt put the computer back together right so a cd is stuck in the rom drive. The computer is also having all kinds of driver issues at this point. I thought that macs werent supposed to crash? if ur using this mac, back up your important files it might not work tomorow."

"Super slow. Cannot do what windows do. OS is basically a Linux with better developped user interface." <THATS BS

These are all about the Intel Core Duo. Everyone pretty much praises the iMac G5. The thing is it will be obsolete soon. Can anyone give me some positive feedback. And does rosetta always run, and can you turn it off? If someone can answer these questions, and maybe comment on the stuff people are saying etc. That would be awesome, because i dont want to get one and then have problems, expecially since I praise Apple,and it would suck if it would go "PC" on me.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 35
    kcmackcmac Posts: 1,051member
    The iMac G5 will still work. I don't plan on getting rid of mine anytime soon and it is the rev A version. It is plenty fast and we enjoy the crap out of it.

In a year or two when more apps are universal and the speeds are up, then I will be ready. While that may not be much help to you, I wouldn't worry about getting a G5.
  • Reply 2 of 35
    yes but would you not recommend a Intel Core Duo? Because we are gonna have this for probably 3-4 years....but i will branch off the family computer and have my own, but anywase.
  • Reply 3 of 35
    lundylundy Posts: 4,466member
    Quote:

Originally posted by MacsRbetterthanPC

yes but would you not recommend a Intel Core Duo? Because we are gonna have this for probably 3-4 years....but i will branch off the family computer and have my own, but anywase.

You might want to post where those anecdotes came from. By the tone of them and the factual inaccuracies in the descriptions, I doubt they are real-life stories.

- The first quote uses the dead Windows fanboi giveaway "closing programs". Mac users say "quitting apps", not "closing programs". That is a Windroid speaking.

- The guy that supposedly had a hard drive crash didn't back up his financial data. What a moron. And there is no such thing as "Apple Service coming out."

- The clueless third comment couldn't be from a Mac owner, as he thinks OS X is based on Linux. This is a dead giveaway (almost as reliable as "MAC") for a Windows fanboi. An illiterate Windows fanboi at that ("developped").

What's the link to these comments?
  • Reply 4 of 35
    As a rule, people who are happy with the iMac, don't bother saying so.... so you only hear the negatives.

If I were gonna buy one (I've already got a G5 iMac that I expect to last another couple years), I'd go for the CoreDuo ... use Rosetta for now, but within a year you'll have mostly native apps running (I'll bet MOST of what you'd use is native already)... and things will be running quite smoothly.

Naturally, the Intel machine is the future and will have a longer shelf-life at this point than the G5.

If you're gonna buy a computer, you might as well by the most up-to-date machine you can afford.
  • Reply 5 of 35
    ya those were all Cnet.com reviews so...thanks though it helped...

does rosetta run only when you are using an ap that isnt universal or intel ready? or does it just always run?
  • Reply 6 of 35
    Quote:

ya those were all Cnet.com reviews so...thanks though it helped...

does rosetta run only when you are using an ap that isnt universal or intel ready? or does it just always run?

When Launch Services is asked to launch an app, if the app is PPC then Launch Services launches Rosetta which in turn reads in the app and executes it.

So Rosetta is only "running" when a PPC app is running. Since a pure PPC app like PhotoShop cannot run directly on the Intel, it is actually Rosetta which is running and reading Photoshop's code, translating it to x86, and then executing it.
  • Reply 7 of 35
    i have a pte-isight G5, and i love it. I knew that the intel switch was coming and sort of thought maybe that apple would throw the switch in the style they did, so my next move is going to be to finally add alot of RAM to my computer to fool myself into thinking i got a new computer

but..if i were buying an iMac today i would get the Intel and equip it with 1gb or more straight out of the box. why? well b/c the universal's run faster natively than they will on the G5 and the forthcoming improvements over the next couple of years while universal binary will likely be more geared toward intel (at least that's my guess). beyond that, there's the future resell value for your parents when the windows bootability comes to town.

so, i'd go intel.
  • Reply 8 of 35
    Go for the Intel iMac and get a tonne of memory (1.5 or 2 gigs). You'll be future proof, and the memory will make Rosetta apps run more smoothly.
  • Reply 9 of 35
    guarthoguartho Posts: 1,208member
    Quote:

Originally posted by lundy

- The first quote uses the dead Windows fanboi giveaway "closing programs". Mac users say "quitting apps", not "closing programs". That is a Windroid speaking.

[/B]

Hey, I say "closing programs."
  • Reply 10 of 35
    cubitcubit Posts: 846member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Guartho

Don't you know by now that is a Thought Crime! 1984 isn't like 1984, it's turning into 2006! One World, One Truth, One Processor, One Language. What's all this Duo stuff????
  • Reply 11 of 35
    xoolxool Posts: 2,460member
    I would also recommend the Core Duo iMac. And while 1 GB of RAM is the minimum, more is always better. If you're going to use a ton of Rosetta apps then extra RAM will help a lot there too.
  • Reply 12 of 35
    Quote:

Originally posted by Guartho

Well, don't do that.

You run the risk of being turned away from all the clandestine Mac User Geek Orgies. Our bouncer has a list of pass phrases to test your authenticity at the door.
  • Reply 13 of 35
    Quote:

[B]"Super slow. Cannot do what windows do. OS is basically a Linux with better developped user interface."/B]

You know, I though about this for a little and I can't really see how that's a bad thing.

Of course, OS X is architecturally much different than Linux (other than the fact that they are both POSIX compliant). But both are pretty robust, low-latency operating systems that work well on personal computers.
  • Reply 14 of 35
    I have a 17" Core Duo iMac w/512MB RAM and am very pleased.

I use a 3D program, Carrara, which is NOT native and I have no complaints. Rendering, it is about the speed of a dual processor G4/800. User interface-wise, it uses OpenGL and the OpenGL seems to be VERY fast to me. Yes, I'm sure it would be faster if it were native, but it is plenty usable as it is.

I've downloaded the demos of a few games that are not native and they all run at acceptable speeds (to me).

For mundane tasks like web browsing, writing letters, etc. machines from 5 years ago were plenty fast. Going through Rosetta, I would say that most apps perform at the level of a couple year old G4. Not uber-speedy, but plenty usable.

I currently have a few drivers, preference panes, and Safari plugins that I'm waiting to be ported to Universal Binaries (hello Kensington!). But I recognize that I'm still on the bleeding edge of the Mac world and likely will be for the next 6 months or so. I'm willing to wait for developers to catch up.

The new iMac is VERY quiet, even when the processors are at full usage, the fan is quiet; my external hard drives make more noise.

I do have a few complaints, but these apply to the iMac form and not the Intel version. You can't alter the height of the screen. The cables on the keyboard and mouse are too short.

If the iMac form factor is right for you, and you don't have any software that _HAS_ to run as fast as possible (in which case you'd be buying a G5 Quad, not an iMac), then I think the new iMac is a fine machine. As you say, the G5 iMac will get nothing but slower, and the Intel iMac will get nothing but faster.

- Jasen.
  • Reply 15 of 35
    cubitcubit Posts: 846member
    You know, Jasen, after one has used one of the spectacular iMacG4, especially the 20", almost everything seems unnecessarily clunky. I really love that form factor with the readily adjustable screen that you can bring forward, push back, rais up, tilt, etc. I only wish I could use that screen!
  • Reply 16 of 35
    banchobancho Posts: 1,517member
    As one who stepped up from a 12" 1.33GHz Powerbook, I can say that my new 2.0 CoreDuo iMac seriously kicks ass. It's all relative. I have it packed with 2GB RAM and 256MB VRAM.

And as stated earlier, with the introduction of more universal binaries, it will keep getting faster. Everything I need at the moment is universal binary already so the choice of the Intel iMac was easy.
  • Reply 17 of 35
    If you have any older PPC software like Photoshop and don't plan to upgrade them to run native on Intel, I'd find a discounted G5 computer to tide you over. Max it with RAM and you should get a good performer for a good deal!! Otherwise go the Intel because most major Apps should be Universal within a year.
  • Reply 18 of 35
    i received my intel iMac about a week ago. (17" w/ 1 GB ram) i run a small business and was concerned about continuing to rely on a G4 as our primary computer. (my wife has a G4 ibook, our receptionist had been using a G3 imac.) plus, i still hadn't upgraded to tiger or a recent iLife.

the native apps run great on the intel iMac. i don't normally notice rosetta, and the performance of word and appleworks is mostly acceptable. however, i have noticed that when opening multiple docs in rosetta (such as appleworks/excel spreadsheets) and cutting and pasting back and forth, things start slowing down significantly. its a little frustrating. i'd consider moving to iWorks if there was a spreadsheet app. but as far as i know, there's not a universal spreadsheet app for the intel iMac. that's a problem.

also, i've been having some problems syncing my nano. haven't really had time to resolve them, so i don't know how significant they are.

and i do miss the g4 form factor for a lot of reasons. i'm not crazy about inserting the cd in the side of the machine (i like the tray better than the slot-loadingdrive). i loved the ability to swivel the screen. it was just a more dramatic improvement from the g3.
  • Reply 19 of 35
    zengazenga Posts: 267member
    Quote:

Ok so my family is going to get an iMac? Should I get a G5 or Intel Core Duo? I'm leaning towards the Intel Core Duo, because the whole G5 era is soon to be obsolete. The thing is I'm noticing negativity surrounding the Core Duo. One guy said he owns both, and his intel runs slow, while his wifes iMac g5 goes basically right when you click something (internet etc.). I hear the whole Rosetta is a RAM killer, and just some other negative things:

"It froze repeatedly and was constantly closing programs without notice."

"I bought the computer for my mother thinking that the simplicity and ease of use would be the perfect thing. She began using Quicken 2006 and within 2 weeks the harddrive completely crashed. Lost all information for all of our accounts. Apple Service came out to replace it, and the new drive is incredibly loud/vibrates too much. Not only that they didnt put the computer back together right so a cd is stuck in the rom drive. The computer is also having all kinds of driver issues at this point. I thought that macs werent supposed to crash? if ur using this mac, back up your important files it might not work tomorow."

"Super slow. Cannot do what windows do. OS is basically a Linux with better developped user interface." <THATS BS

These are all about the Intel Core Duo. Everyone pretty much praises the iMac G5. The thing is it will be obsolete soon. Can anyone give me some positive feedback. And does rosetta always run, and can you turn it off? If someone can answer these questions, and maybe comment on the stuff people are saying etc. That would be awesome, because i dont want to get one and then have problems, expecially since I praise Apple,and it would suck if it would go "PC" on me.

Do yourself a favor and buy this incredible iMac & save $200 @ it..!

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...Fencoding=UTF8

But if the 23" comes out before you buy... you know what to do..!

Get an iMac !
  • Reply 20 of 35
    rara Posts: 623member
    The iMac G5 is probably better NOW, but the iMac Core Duo definitely will last longer.