How Bad Is The iMac???

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 35
    iposteriposter Posts: 1,560member
    Quote:

Originally posted by lundy

And there is no such thing as "Apple Service coming out."

My local independent Apple Care rep makes housecalls!
  • Reply 22 of 35
    Hey,

What are the new iMacs like with noise (and the last G5 based iMacs). I have a first-gen iMac which suffered from noisy fans which annoy me to the point I want a quieter machine.

Can anyone offer insights/comparisons?
  • Reply 23 of 35
    Quote:

Originally posted by s.metcalf

What are the new iMacs like with noise (and the last G5 based iMacs).

Can anyone offer insights/comparisons?

What!? I can't hear you over the roar of my Intel iMac!!!

Just kidding. The thing is QUIET. I have an external Firewire drive that makes more noise. And it stays quiet. I just spent 10-15 minutes rendering some video - both processors going full bore - barely heard a whisper.

(Now if I could just find a place to hide my old B&W machine. The thing sounds like a vacuum cleaner after running the iMac.)

- Jasen.
  • Reply 24 of 35
    sandausandau Posts: 1,230member
    this should be entitled, How Insanely Great is the iMac!

Other than a weird reboot error which hasn't been duplicated, its been flawless. 512mb of Ram is not enough for rosetta, but after adding another gig of memory this thing is wonderful. I'm running Deer Park (alpha universal binary of Firefox) and life is terrific. Everything is fast fast and the machine is super quiet, the noisiest thing in this room is my fingers typing this out.

I love it.
  • Reply 25 of 35
    flounderflounder Posts: 2,674member
    Quote:

Originally posted by sandau

this should be entitled, How Insanely Great is the iMac!

Other than a weird reboot error which hasn't been duplicated, its been flawless. 512mb of Ram is not enough for rosetta, but after adding another gig of memory this thing is wonderful. I'm running Deer Park (alpha universal binary of Firefox) and life is terrific. Everything is fast fast and the machine is super quiet, the noisiest thing in this room is my fingers typing this out.

I love it.

It is super quiet, and I love mine too! My extra gig of memory should be here by Monday (maybe Saturday, which would be nice).
  • Reply 26 of 35
    After five years of Windows I returned to intel imac and am amazed at the ease,grace, speed, integration with ipod, sensuousness of the whole computing experience again. It makes computing fun, not a job. The music imports in a snap, I the tech support is fast, friendly and knowledgable. Need I go on? I am trying to get all my friends to switch. I bought a second one and it is using wireless. It seems as fast as the ethernet connected one. I plugged my old windows back up external firewire and am able to easily access the data. The mac found the wireless hub with no help from me; ditto the mail info. It is quiet as a mouse. I am not getting paid to say all this. The new intel imac rocks.
  • Reply 27 of 35
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    I went to a local Mac retailer yseterday (Turns out we have one in this crappy town...w00t) they had a dual core intel 17 inch iMac (low end) right next to a dualcore G5 1.8 both with 512 MB ram, I started by closing all open apps then launched Safari, mail, itunes, iphoto and iweb on both units, and the intel smoked the G5 in this very non-scientific test.

Web rendering including Java seemed about 25% faster on the intel than the G5, and about 3x my G4 Mini

I also launched Word, excel and entourage on both units to get a feel for native v emmulation and I saw no differance whatsoever, but I just did stuff like dragging pics on the page, didnt have time or a photoshop file to do a realy intencive test

I can onlty speak to my experiance, but it is like lightning...and with 1000 photos loaded, iPhoto indeed "scrolls like butter" as some would say.
  • Reply 28 of 35
    Let me put in my two cents: I highly recommend the Intel iMac.

I don't have ANY big problems. With 500 mb ram, it beachballed sometimes, but never 20 seconds as some people claim. However, now that I have 1.5 gigs of ram ($100 upgrade) it never beachballs.

FrontRow sucked big balls originally, but with the update, it now runs perfectly. I might get rid of my TV.

Rosetta is perfect. I don't know who these other people think they are, but there is no way I can tell what apps are Universal and what are PPC only. Photoshop runs twice as fast as it did on my PowerBook G4. There are only two things that got me: VersionCue simply doesn't work, and never will until Adobe CS2 goes Universal. Also, I first installed the PPC version of DivX and my movies wouldn't play. However, after installing the Intel version it works perfect. Those are the only two things that Rosetta couldn't run.

Encoding DVDs into H.264 with HandBrake is fast and flawless. I can even run it in the background with absolutely NO slowdown. I used to encode movies overnight, now I just do it whenever because it doesn't slow down the computer.

Oh, also, FrontRow has an option to connect to the Apple movie trailer site, but that is broken. It used to work, so I assume it will work again eventually.

Anyways, the point is that the Intel iMac works as well as any other Apple computer, so you might as well get it =)

Oh, and I've never seen World Of Warcraft run so beautifully and so smoothly.

Philip
  • Reply 29 of 35
    I would recommend the Core Duo, plain and simple.
  • Reply 30 of 35
    I just bought a powermac g5 quad. Its a lot more powerful that the imac i know, but i choose it for a reason, the g5 is the tried and true mac processor. It is what i need for the graphics work i do. True i could have waited for the intel version of the powermac, but i prefer ppc arch because the viruses will never run on it, and ppc is a great architechture. I am actually a amd fanboy, but when i bought my mac less than a 2 weeks ago, i went with the ibm chip. Intel has never made superior chips so why would it start now?
  • Reply 31 of 35
    splinemodelsplinemodel Posts: 7,311member
    (Blatant flaming not allowed here, folks - JL)
  • Reply 32 of 35
    What? It may be a little outdated, but its a good sturdy chip. Its runs the programs (maya, FCP, Photoshop, etc) that I use and renders them incredibly fast. I just don't like intel. I was horrified when i heard apple switched to intel. It may be for the better, but I would prefer my g5 computer to any intel box. Let it have 4 dual core processors, but the g5 is for me. Plus those core errors ticked me off. I the list was really long, and there was no comment on when they would be fixed. It was either get the g5, or hold off until rev 2 or 3. And my linux computer was just barely doing maya at a useable speed. I was running photoshop, avid, and a lot of others under wine and it just wasn't good enough. I have my reasons. You may not like them.
  • Reply 33 of 35
    cubitcubit Posts: 846member
    Quote:

Originally posted by neuromancerzero

What? It may be a little outdated, but its a good sturdy chip. Its runs the programs (maya, FCP, Photoshop, etc) that I use and renders them incredibly fast. I just don't like intel. I was horrified when i heard apple switched to intel. It may be for the better, but I would prefer my g5 computer to any intel box. Let it have 4 dual core processors, but the g5 is for me. Plus those core errors ticked me off. I the list was really long, and there was no comment on when they would be fixed. It was either get the g5, or hold off until rev 2 or 3. And my linux computer was just barely doing maya at a useable speed. I was running photoshop, avid, and a lot of others under wine and it just wasn't good enough. I have my reasons. You may not like them.

Your reasons sound most reasonable. I only wish I could have justified actually buying a G5 q. I kept going up to the edge, but never could imagine having all that computer nudging my shins or crushing my desktop-- hence I kept using the G4^3s, but I must have shopped for one at every stage of the G5 machine's cycle. I bought a 23" HD display that I could not use with my Cube, so run it with my PB and I even got a bargain on a case that can carry one, but unlike you, I really did not have the solid reasons to buy all that. How much memory did you load it with?
  • Reply 34 of 35
    I put 2 gigs of ram (non-ecc, way too expensive and i'm not working for the military of anything) and the nvidia 7800. My theory is that every 6 monthsn (if not sooner) your amazingly speedy rig will not be enough anymore. So just buy what you have money for at the moment, be satisfied with what you payed for and deal. I personally am happy and thats all that really matters. Most people won't use the power of the quad, but as a creative person who uses all of the intensive programs, the extra hardware cuts down render times a lot. So there will be intel "power" macs soon, who cares. And in another 12 months they will have something else.

only complaint is that my lcd moniter doesn't have the support for high res that i wish it did. But thats NEC's fault, not apple.

And it would be really nice if apple had a package manager, i like fink, but there is room for improvement.
  • Reply 35 of 35
    Get the iMac I just fired mine up this morning to set it up and its great. I am off to the Best Buy to look for ram. The only thing I dont like is a little problem listing this on Ebay Oh well I will figure that out later./ Firefox fixed that I love free aps.