Apple to host special event in Cupertino on Feb 28

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
True to rumors, Apple Computer will host a special invitation-only event at the end of the month to introduce some new product offerings, AppleInsider has learned.

The event is set to take place on Tuesday, February 28, 2006 at 10:00 AM Pacific Time at the Apple Town Hall on the company's Cupertino, Calif. campus.

"Come see some fun new products from Apple," reads the digital invite sent to analysts and members of the media. The invite itself is not very revealing, showing only an enlarged iCal-like icon rendering.

Rumors that Apple was planning a special event for the latter half of February have been brewing for several weeks now. Fueling the rumors were reports that Apple axed several music-related product introductions from its opening presentation at January's Macworld Expo.

Specifically, sources have described to AppleInsider a new iPod Boombox device that is expected to retail in the $300 range and provide plug-and-play audio for the living room.

Other products expected from Apple in the near future include a sub-$500 Intel-based Mac mini desktop computer and a sub-$1000 13-inch widescreen iBook. However, it's unclear if these Mac systems will make their debut at the Feb.28th event, or at another event closer to the Spring.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 118
    andersanders Posts: 6,523member
    Quote:

Originally posted by AppleInsider

working...

Hating...

The suspense.
  • Reply 2 of 118
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    Quote:

Originally posted by AppleInsider

True to rumors, Apple Computer will host a special invitation-only event at the end of the month to introduce some new product offerings, AppleInsider has learned.

The event is set to take place on Tuesday, February 28, 2006 at 10:00 AM Pacific Time at the Apple Town Hall on the company's Cupertino, Calif. campus.

"Come see some fun new products from Apple," reads the digital invite sent to analysts and members of the media. The invite itself is not very revealing, showing only an enlarged iCal-like icon rendering.

working...
    [ View this article at AppleInsider.com ]

Could have been twins

Quote:

Apple plans event for February 28

Originally posted by By Peter Cohen of MacCentral

Apple plans a special invitation-only event to introduce new products next week. The event happens on Tuesday, February 28, 2006 at 10:00 AM Pacific Time.

The invitation gives away precious little about what Apple has up its sleeve for the event.

?Come see some fun new products from Apple,? says the invitation received by Macworld. The e-mail features a large rendering of an iCal-style icon with the date set to February 28, 2006.

The event takes place at Apple Town Hall on Apple?s Cupertino campus.

• Reply 3 of 118
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    I hope this isn't another hoax like last week's.

"Fun products" sounds more iPod-dy than Mac-y. Could be the iBook and/or Mac Mini, but my bets are on a "true" iPod video, maybe with some other entertainment devices like airport with video streaming. Then again, I believe I have a 100% inaccuracy rate in predicting Apple announcements...
  • Reply 4 of 118
    Finally! Apple's going to release their new Dell branded web tablet!
  • Reply 5 of 118
    February 28th? Why, that's my birthday! What a fantastic gift!
  • Reply 6 of 118
    tednditedndi Posts: 1,921member
    APPLE IS DOOMED!!!!

oops, sorry, I mean WooT!

edit: apparently Tuesday is the new Tuesday!

Second edit: The event will coincide with the Billionth iTune track sold which is expected approximately Thursday.

• Reply 7 of 118
    satchmosatchmo Posts: 2,699member
    Quote:

Originally posted by BRussell

"Fun products" sounds more iPod-dy than Mac-y. .

Yeah, "fun" sounds to me like the boom box mentioned in the article. But certainly it needs to be more than just a dock with speakers...otherwise it'll be just like the many other iPod add-on speakers already on the market.
  • Reply 8 of 118
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    Quote:

Originally posted by satchmo

Yeah, "fun" sounds to me like the boom box mentioned in the article. But certainly it needs to be more than just a dock with speakers...otherwise it'll be just like the many other iPod add-on speakers already on the market.

Heh, that actually wasn't there a few moments ago. But yeah I don't get what would be so special about a boombox. Then again, I think I said the same thing about an mp3 player.
  • Reply 9 of 118
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:

Originally posted by TednDi

APPLE IS DOOMED!!!!

oops, sorry, I mean WooT!

edit: apparently Tuesday is the new Tuesday!

Second edit: The event will coincide with the Billionth iTune track sold which is expected approximately Thursday.

Thursday is the 23rd. It's almost a week off.

But, you're right, Apple is D... No wait, that's a different discussion.

What I meant is that you're right, there could be something in common there.

Possibly some multimedia announcements, the TRUE video iPod. The boombox. Perhaps, though less likely, some home entertainment version of the Mini.

With the lowering of the Duo prices, it's possible they might now be able to put a Duo into a Mini. They would need that to play 1080p, and it would make 1080i far better. Perhaps they were waiting for that.

Possibly, for the same pricing reason, an announcement of a faster pair of iMacs.
  • Reply 10 of 118
    zengazenga Posts: 267member
    Awesome!!!
  • Reply 11 of 118
    tednditedndi Posts: 1,921member
    I am thinking something Tablet-ey. Just by the sheer numbers of patents regarding handheld devices and their interfaces.

Also, something new that gets people's attention during the intel transition.

Apple's stock price though high is stuck around 70.00 per share. Amid worries about this quarter and a slowdown in sales and ipod competition.

Steve will get out there and kick the RDF to 11 and start the PR going!!

As for Thursday the 23rd. Yes, but in case it happens on Friday or Saturday, It still gives Steve time to prepare for the event and call out the press.
  • Reply 12 of 118
    If it's an OSX running tablet like an OQO, I'm going to find it impossible to resist. Come on Apple. I'm fed up of carting a laptop around but I need full apps.
  • Reply 13 of 118
    Here's a summary of special event offerings and my guess for the next one.

Special Event #1 (Theme: Music)

- Rokr

- iPod nano

Special Event #2 (Theme: Video)

- iMac with built-in iSight

- video iPod

- video downloads via iTunes

Special Event #3 (Theme: Fun)

- the "boombox"

- new iPod Shuffle

- movie streming via iTunes

(massive update for .Mac?)

- airport video

coming soon?

- new tablet

- new "iBook"
  • Reply 14 of 118
    cubistcubist Posts: 954member
    Well, based on elwood's perspective, maybe it's those games for the iPod we heard about briefly last year.
  • Reply 15 of 118
    xoolxool Posts: 2,460member
    Saying "fun" certainly leaves the options open. To me it implies a handful of potentially unrelated products.

Maybe its a new version of iCal! Ok, maybe not.

Either way its only a week to go. W00t!
  • Reply 16 of 118
    Quote:

Originally posted by elwood56

Here's a summary of special event offerings and my guess for the next one.

Special Event #1 (Theme: Music)

- Rokr

- iPod nano

Special Event #2 (Theme: Video)

- iMac with built-in iSight

- video iPod

- video downloads via iTunes

Special Event #3 (Theme: Fun)

- the "boombox"

- new iPod Shuffle

- movie streming via iTunes

(massive update for .Mac?)

- airport video

coming soon?

- new tablet

- new "iBook"

why not? good guess!!!
  • Reply 17 of 118
    I'm still hoping for an intel DVR mini.

Please please please.
  • Reply 18 of 118
    They'll have their opportunity to tout the sale of 1 billion songs at the iTunes Music store. Ties in nicely with some iPod related product.
  • Reply 19 of 118
    I have a lot of friends just hoping that the iBook is under $1000 since they are like 90% of america in that they just surf the net, check email, and do office work. That is what Dells are always so appealing so it will be nice to see an mac that is affordable for mainstream america that is portable and comes with a monitor.
  • Reply 20 of 118
    Quote:

Originally posted by drakethegreat

I have a lot of friends just hoping that the iBook is under $1000 since they are like 90% of america in that they just surf the net, check email, and do office work. That is what Dells are always so appealing so it will be nice to see an mac that is affordable for mainstream america that is portable and comes with a monitor.

<< I agree with you.. There will always be the PRO version of the iBook (MacBook) you just have to look @ the PowerBooks & now with the MacBook Pro. I think is just a matter of time and Apple's inventory of PowerPC iBooks & PowerBooks don't forget that they by in the MILLIONS.. so my guess is that we'll see all those macs we all crave of very soon!! >>

<< I HOPE SO >>