Magnet madness to hit Intel iBook line

Comments

• Reply 41 of 92
    zengazenga Posts: 267member
    Quote:

Originally posted by msantti

A $999 Mac Book with a built in iSight and 13" Widescreen LCD makes the Mac Book Pro at $1999 look expensive, even if it has a Core Duo and the Mac Book does not.

Won't even get into the $2499 model.

What's your point?
  • Reply 42 of 92
    zengazenga Posts: 267member
    May your Mac be with you... Always! [/B][/QUOTE]

lol I like that 1!
  • Reply 43 of 92
    Quote:

Originally posted by aplnub

I am sure Apple has thought about this scenerio and has a resonable latch force in place. Let's hope...

Of course Apple has thought of that. So many people are just too afraid to put their trust in Apple. Apple knows best. The sooner you realize that, the better off you'll be 8)

• Reply 44 of 92
    Quote:

The notebook reportedly resembles a shrunken MacBook Pro, based around a 13-inch high-resolution display, but clad in iBook white. Like Apple's iMac Core Duo and MacBook Pro, the new iBooks are also expected to pack a built-in iSight video camera, Apple Remote, and Front Row media software.

Talk about obvious. And just how long has the iBook resembled a shrunken Powerbook "clad in iBook white"?
  • Reply 45 of 92
    I think using magnets for stuff like this -- while very coool in threory --is a big mistake.

It's so easy to accidentally erase or scramble bus passes, credit cards, gift cards, security passes, anything with a magnetic strip!

Just one more thing I don't want to have to worry about...

\ - my 2 zentz
  • Reply 46 of 92
    Quote:

Originally posted by DeaPeaJay

Here's what I'm hoping for

MacBook

$1199.00

13-inch Widescreen

1.67GHz Intel Core Duo

512MB memory

60GB drive

SuperDrive

backlit keyboard

built in iSight

compared with

MacBook Pro

$1,999.00

15-inch Widescreen

1.83GHz Intel Core Duo

512MB memory

80GB drive

SuperDrive

backlit keyboard

built in iSight

So basically, replace the 12inch powerbook with a 13 inch widescreen and put it in a white ibook shell

Unfortunately I doubt we'll see the backlit keyboard in the iBook. It'll probably have the plastic keys that the existing one has.

But, if those are the specs I'll probably bite. Might wait to see what they do with the 12" powerbook though...I'd like dual displays and to use it as my primary machine. The core duo would be a lot faster I'm sure. But right now, I'm mostly looking for portability and battery life.
  • Reply 47 of 92
    >_>>_> Posts: 336member
    Quote:

Originally posted by DeaPeaJay

I want to know if they're going to have backlit keyboards! I hope they don't limit that to the pro option

The 12" Powerbook doesn't even have a backlit keyboard.

- Xidius
  • Reply 48 of 92
    What I'm wondering is if they will change the case material. Plastic may be a bit heavy (and old fashion).

White colored aluminum?

Carbon fiber?

Magnesium alloy?
  • Reply 49 of 92
    sjksjk Posts: 603member
    Quote:

Originally posted by AppleInsider

logic would point to the notebooks adopting a 1.67GHz Intel Core processor, either Solo or Duo.

(emphasis ridiculous)

Like there's some other "either" than Solo or Duo it could be.
  • Reply 50 of 92
    Quote:

Originally posted by sjk

Like there's some other "either" than Solo or Duo it could be.

like... the yonah celeron-m?
  • Reply 51 of 92
    gargar Posts: 1,201member
    Quote:

Originally posted by jms698

What I'm wondering is if they will change the case material. Plastic may be a bit heavy (and old fashion).

White colored aluminum?

Carbon fiber?

Magnesium alloy?

We are talking iBook/MacBook here, not a $2,500 highend notebook.

Plastic is just fine.
  • Reply 52 of 92
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Quote:

Originally posted by kim kap sol

They're required to write this to avoid getting sued.

Come on, sued for an urban myth?
  • Reply 53 of 92
    kcmackcmac Posts: 1,051member
    I would guess Apple has a little more knowledge about magnets and hard drives than most anyone here. And they would have just a little bit of interest to make sure of it.

Just guessing of course...
  • Reply 54 of 92
    "Simple" and "simplistic" are NOT synonymns.

"Simplistic" has a negative connotation of overly and unrealistically simple. Naive and unsophisticated.

Don't use words you don't understand, don't misuse words trying to impress people, you just look even more foolish.
  • Reply 55 of 92
    Quote:

Originally posted by >_>

The 12" Powerbook doesn't even have a backlit keyboard.

- Xidius

WOW! I never realized that! Well I say its time for change. I was borrowing my mom's boss's 15 inch powerbook and I got addicted to the backlite. I turned the lights off in the room just so I could work with the backlit keyboard
  • Reply 56 of 92
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:

Originally posted by gar

We are talking iBook/MacBook here, not a $2,500 highend notebook.

Plastic is just fine.

Also, well-chosen plastic can have a higher strength to weight ratio and even better dent resistance than aluminum.
  • Reply 57 of 92
    tednditedndi Posts: 1,921member
    How about RUBBER, this way you could use it as an eraser and it would bounce when dropped!!!

or not

• Reply 58 of 92
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Quote:

Originally posted by rpm16601

"Several months later in January, Apple unveiled that its first Intel- based notebook, the 15-inch MacBook Pro, would also sport a new magnetic technology, dubbed MagSafe."

Uh "NEW" ? my deep fryer has had a magnetic power connector for 4 years.

You do realize that we talk about portable computers here, don't you?
  • Reply 59 of 92
    It seems that MacBook13 is much more important than the MacBookPro15, I hope that MacBookPro13 will coming after MacBook13 just like PowerBook12 coming after iBook12. But it all depends on the market.
  • Reply 60 of 92
    If this is true, they may have ripped off the idea from the personal organizer market (i.e.: Franklin, Blue Sky, etc. leather and vinyl planners). You can see these magnetic clasps in action at stores like Office Depot.