Magnet madness to hit Intel iBook line

Comments

• Reply 61 of 92
    aplnubaplnub Posts: 2,605member
    Quote:

Originally posted by SpamSandwich

If this is true, they may have ripped off the idea from the personal organizer market (i.e.: Franklin, Blue Sky, etc. leather and vinyl planners). You can see these magnetic clasps in action at stores like Office Depot.

Who really cares, right?
  • Reply 62 of 92
    Holy shit guys, we should start investing in magnets!!!!
  • Reply 63 of 92
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    Quote:

I can't find a car charger for any Apple laptop at the moment.

Here are a couple.

http://us.kensington.com/html/3877.html

Quote:

PLEASE HAVE BRIGHTER LCDs

And 7 + hours of battery life...

LOL, you want both at the same time?

Quote:

If this is true, they may have ripped off the idea from the personal organizer marketYou can see these magnetic clasps in action at stores like Office Depot.

The personal organizer market wasn't the first to use magnetic clasps either. I don't think its the general idea but the actual implementation.
  • Reply 64 of 92
    Quote:

Originally posted by Matthew Yohe

Holy shit guys, we should start investing in magnets!!!!

My entire fortune is in magnets.
  • Reply 65 of 92
    Quote:

Originally posted by kim kap sol

My entire fortune is in magnets.

how long have you been here? You've got 473,822 posts!!!!!!!!!!
  • Reply 66 of 92
    Quote:

Originally posted by DeaPeaJay

how long have you been here? You've got 473,822 posts!!!!!!!!!!

Read that line by line one more time and say, "Got ya!" three times out loud.
  • Reply 67 of 92
    Quote:

Originally posted by aplnub

Read that line by line one more time and say, "Got ya!" three times out loud.

ok. he's been here since nov, 2001 but that would require making roughly 300 posts a day to get to 473,822
  • Reply 68 of 92
    Quote:

Originally posted by DeaPeaJay

ok. he's been here since nov, 2001 but that would require making roughly 300 posts a day to get to 473,822

Yeah, but he entered in that line. The REAL post number is 3 lines above his side profile.

Quote:

kim kap sol

• Reply 69 of 92
    wow, I'm blind.
  • Reply 70 of 92
    So maybe where the latch is now have th IR receiver be like a belly button where the latch was,and have a nice ringlet around it for the sleep light.

I love the ibook its my favorite mac,I do hope they go core duo on the higher end one... with bto chip options as they are available,

SO!

1.67 Ghz core solo on the 12 and 13/14 inch wide

and core duo on a 14/13 inch wide for a few more $$$

brighter denser pixeled screens, dump 32 meg graphics cards go 64! and maybe 128 on the Duo....... keep the ports all on one side as is isight added and keep everything else pretty much the same. MORE STOCK RAM!

expandable to 1.5 gigs of ram
  • Reply 71 of 92
    Quote:

Originally posted by malckwan

"Simple" and "simplistic" are NOT synonymns.

"Simplistic" has a negative connotation of overly and unrealistically simple. Naive and unsophisticated.

Don't use words you don't understand, don't misuse words trying to impress people, you just look even more foolish.

I hate vermin like you. "Simplistic" is not inherently pejorative at all. Simple and simplistic can certainly be synonymal, especially when simple is used as an adjective to describe idiots like you.

You have an extremely simplistic view of English vocabluary and are the one exposed as a simple in your hypocritical attempt to correct someone.
  • Reply 72 of 92
    Quote:

Originally posted by moracity

I hate vermin like you. "Simplistic" is not inherently pejorative at all. Simple and simplistic can certainly be synonymal, especially when simple is used as an adjective to describe idiots like you.

You have an extremely simplistic view of English vocabluary and are the one exposed as a simple in your hypocritical attempt to correct someone.

I'm sure we could all stand to improve our "vocabluary".
  • Reply 73 of 92
    danmacmandanmacman Posts: 773member
    No matter how great the new design of the iBook...errr...MacBook, the downfall (as referenced by the new Mac mini) will be the Intel GMA graphics chipset. For this reason, I will not replace my 12inch PowerBook with one of these.
  • Reply 74 of 92
    toweltowel Posts: 1,479member
    I have mixed feelings about the MacBook after seeing the new mini. On the one hand, it's obviously possible to put a Core Duo into a low-end machine - I had doubted this before. OTOH, Apple had to cut corners and raise the price substantially to do so. With the Duo mini at $799, I think there's no way we're going to see a Duo MacBook at $999. Or even $1299. But maybe in a $1499 model? So maybe MacBooks at $1199/$1499, configured like the respective minis? Though maybe with a proper video card, at least in the $1499 model. The GPU, screen size, and assorted bells & whistles would be enough to make the $1999 MBP still look attractive.
  • Reply 75 of 92
    satchmosatchmo Posts: 2,699member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Towel

I think there's no way we're going to see a Duo MacBook at $999.

There never was. Just a pipe dream from those who for some reason or other thought the switch to Intel meant lower prices from Apple.

If you want to know what the prices of a new MacBook will be...just match them up with current iBook prices. Maybe even add a $100.
  • Reply 76 of 92
    zengazenga Posts: 267member
    After all the waiting & posting & waiting & terrible nightmares about the new macbooks I can only say:

come what "may"?

lol

• Reply 77 of 92
    dhagan4755dhagan4755 Posts: 2,152member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Zenga

After all the waiting & posting & waiting & terrible nightmares about the new macbooks I can only say:

come what "may"?

Hahaha, good line, and probably truthful too. We may not see this new laptop as soon as some hope (including me).
  • Reply 78 of 92
    Quote:

Originally posted by Towel

I have mixed feelings about the MacBook after seeing the new mini. On the one hand, it's obviously possible to put a Core Duo into a low-end machine - I had doubted this before. OTOH, Apple had to cut corners and raise the price substantially to do so. With the Duo mini at $799, I think there's no way we're going to see a Duo MacBook at $999. Or even $1299. But maybe in a $1499 model? So maybe MacBooks at $1199/$1499, configured like the respective minis? Though maybe with a proper video card, at least in the $1499 model. The GPU, screen size, and assorted bells & whistles would be enough to make the $1999 MBP still look attractive.

Nah, they will be 999 and 1299, just both with solos, or maybe even a celeron m 4 series in the 999. I doubt they will rise the price on these, otherwise they will lose a huge amount of the education market.
  • Reply 79 of 92
    brendonbrendon Posts: 642member
    Quote:

Originally posted by aplnub

Myth Busters had to use a VERY POWERFUL RARE EARTH MAGNET to wipe a credit card. I am not saying it can't be done, I am just saying it would be in the minority if a magnet wiped a disk. But who the heck is rubbing 3.5" floppy's over an iBook anyway??? I don't even own any floppy's anymore...

For the sake of this argument thread I will point out it was the Moving magnetic field that did the trick. They could sit a credit card on an electro magnet and turn up the voltage to make a 10+ torr magnetic field, very strong. There was no demage to the card until they started to move the card through the magnetic field, then they lowered the voltage so that the field was .10 torr or 100 times less powerful, and could still erase the card. But magnetic fields decrease in strength with the square of the distance. So a little distance takes allot of power from the magnetic field. So the bottom line is that if the computer is off and neither it nor the magnet are moving then data should be fine, but if either move then all bets are off.
  • Reply 80 of 92
    Quote:

Originally posted by kim kap sol

Horseshit! That's the biggest urban myth of them all. It's almost impossible to wipe a hard drive with magnets. You may be able with a very powerful one but even that is doubtful.

Maybe floppy disks and other magnetic media that isn't incased in a metal shell...but not a hard drive...and especially not if it's inside the computer.

Why do you waste your time lying like that?

While it might be impossible to wipe a hard drive with regular magnets, he's not lying about being able to destroy the hard drive in a PowerBook G4 with the magnet from the iSight mount. Unfortunately, I know from personal experience. I'm typing this response on a "formally destroyed" PowerBook G4. When I got my iSight I moved the magnet mount near my PowerBook (just to the left of the trackpad). When I did so, I could hear something inside my PowerBook make a grinding sound with varying frequency (based on the magnet distance). My first thought was I must be doing something to the internal fan. So like an idiot, I did it a few more times....entertaining myself with the grinding sound it was making. Moving it closer, then further away, then closer again....over and over again. Then it occured to me that the hard drive was below the magnet, so I stopped doing it. And sure enough, I destroyed enough of the hard drive that it never booted up again. I tried numerous disk repair utilities, and none of them could recover my drive. I had AppleCare support on it through my company, so I had them replace the drive. I don't think I "erased" the drive, I think what happened is I crashed the heads of the drive into the surface enough to physically damage the disk surface. Or maybe there's some other explaination for it. But no matter what the exact technical reason, you ABSOLUTELY can destroy the hard drive on a PowerBook G4 by moving the iSight magnet mount over the area of the drive (left of the trackpad). My iSight magnet stays in the box it came in and will not be pulled out again! If you still have doubts, I challenge you to try it yourself. Just don't be surprised if you get a big "I told you so" from me! ;-)

P.S. I specifically signed up for this forum when I saw this thread so I could warn others of this possibility. I'm NOT the type of person to bash an Apple product, quite the opposite exactly. And I don't necessarily consider this a design flaw of any kind. More of a "don't stick the screwdriver in the electrical outlet" type of issue.