mighty mouse not mighty :-(

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Hi,

Got an Intel Core Duo here (17") with MacosX 10.4.5.

The mighty mouse does not respond to right-clicks, but I have choosen to let it behave to use primary/secondary buttons. Also, the system profiler says it's indeed the Mighty Mouse (Mitsumi thingie).

Also, sometimes when I click on the desktop I suddenly am drawing a selection box (normally you would leftclick and hold the left mouse button on the desktop and it draws the "selection square"). But now, when I release the left mouse button, it keeps drawing the selection square, even when no button is being pressed!

Also normally, when you click on the top-menu (e.g "File") it shown the menu contents, when I move the mouse to the right (e.g to "Help") it auto-opens that menu. But with the mighty mouse, I have to deselect the topmenu and select "help"...and so forth with every menu.

Very annoying.

Is this a known software/hardware related error?

Thanks

Comments

• Reply 1 of 28
    newnew Posts: 3,244member
    Right click with mighty mouse takes some getting used to. You need to raise your finger completely from the left side to make it work properly since the whole surface is touch sensetive. good luck.
  • Reply 2 of 28
    >_>>_> Posts: 336member
    Supposing your prefs look like this:

Then I'd have to ask...

Are your fingers on the side sensors while right clicking? Try taking your hand entirely off the mouse, and click the right button.

Tell me if it works.

- Xidius
  • Reply 3 of 28
    I noticed this same thing--really poor ergonomics. Although one of these came with a computer I use I can't use it--rather I use a variety of logitech wired and wireless mice. The new logitech mice (at least the MX1000) are able to scroll horizontally by nudging the wheel left and right which was the only thing that I thought interesting about the MM.
  • Reply 4 of 28
    I've been using the mighty mouse with the 17" I've been using from work.

I hate it.

It seems to respond to phantom clicks, triggers Expose and Dashboard at a whim (my fingers aren't generally in position to trigger either event) and the cursor hops around like a 12 year old on sugarstix.

Even with a mouse pad and all sorts of variations on the settings I have to slam the mouse all over the desk to get it to do what I want. Conversely, my logitic MX Duo mouse is infinitely more responsive.

I need a mouse with the functionality of the Logitech with the styling of the mighty mouse (read: White )
  • Reply 5 of 28
    After using the left and right clickable windows mouse for years, I found the apple mouse as hard to use as it was beautiful to look at. I have to disagree about the mighty mouse, though. I bought a bluetooth apple mouse and could not get used to all the moving you had to do, so returned it for the wired mighty mouse, which is more like the windows style I used. I think it works and feels great, and once you get used to it will not want the old mouse back. It's fun and empowering and still has the grace apple is known for. Don't give up. My only complaint is when is there going to be an apple bluetooth mighthy mouse. come on apple, how hard is it to design one for us. Please!
  • Reply 6 of 28
    dacloodacloo Posts: 890member
    It seems I have been placing my hand on the side buttons; I'm used to it.

But, I'm not pressing the side buttons, just touching them.

What a terrible mouse. It has been replaced with a Logitech as of today.

Why does Apple want to be different even if it means they release something worse than the "normal" thing?

Just like the MacBook Pro being just a *little* bit thinner, and then sacrifiyng a DVD burner for a DVD/CD combi.
  • Reply 7 of 28
    Quote:

Originally posted by dacloo

Why does Apple want to be different even if it means they release something worse than the "normal" thing?

Just like the MacBook Pro being just a *little* bit thinner, and then sacrifiyng a DVD burner for a DVD/CD combi.

It's just a different mouse and takes a bit of getting used to.

Just because it's not for you doesn't mean it's worse, it's the same.

And the MacBook Pro does have a DVD burner.
  • Reply 8 of 28
    I don't think Apple did this to be different - this mouse fits into the idea of using Exposé and Dashboard nicely.

However - it's a horrible mouse for me. Like you, I tend to drape my hand over the mouse so I was constantly making contact with the side buttons. I'm not sure what caused the epileptic cursor jumps, but ever time I tried to use the scroll ball my heavy handed attempts triggered Dashboard.

Drove. Me. Nuts.
  • Reply 9 of 28
    Quote:

Originally posted by dacloo

Same stuff happened to me when I got the Mighty Mouse with my new iMac in December. I have my side buttons set to trigger Expose - All Windows and I'd be clicking along and all of a sudden - WHOO HOO - all my window on the screen!

It took a week or so to get used to it, and every now and then it happens again.

Most people use a mouse with a death grip on it ... thinking that it will run away if you use a soft touch with it. You are indeed pressing the buttons on the side. You can't right click because you keep all of your fingers on the touch sensitive surface, and to the person who said the mouse moved around like a hyperactive kid, all you have to do to fix that is adjust the sensitivity settings in your preferences panel. You can make the mouse move like a sloth (actually useful if you do a bunch of detail work) and slamming it around probably isn't the BEST thing for it. Yeah, you just might need to open up your mouse prefs, spend some time adjusting the settings and getting used to the mouse.

It sounds like some of the people posting want the beauty and functionality, but don't want to spend a small amount of time getting used to something new. Kinda like saying, I want the style and performance of the Ferrari, but I don't wanna learn to drive a standard.
  • Reply 10 of 28
    I am an interaction designer by profession (I do interface and usability design) and I think the MM sucks. I could write down a whole usability report here, but let's stick to my personal opinion here.

The "Mighty" tries to disguise the second mouse button by using sensors, which don't behave very well. You, as a user, should not be punished for a common behaviour (like placing and resting the fingers on the sides of your mouse, keeping the left finger on the button while clicking the right button, etc).

Why didn't they just got rid of the sensors and the built-in speaker, and produced a two button mouse which just looks just as cool as Mighty? The mouse would turn out to be a lot cheaper too.

Why? Perhaps because Steve Jobs still thinks having a one button mouse is "soooo cool and sooo Apple-like"? Perhaps he's just too stubborn to admit one button is a thing from the past? Who knows... Having a right mouse button and an OS that supports it through-out helps you do things faster, easier. That's a proven fact, researched by usability labs.

Apple created a problem (two mouse buttons) and then "solved it" (two sensors, physically one button). The end result is worse than using real two button mouse. I'd say instead, they could have looked at the original situation NOT being a problem.

I think it's much better to let the user FEEL what is being pressed (e.g the right part of the mouse lowers, not the left part) instead of the tip-touch system (which is a thing of the past because of this reason, it was used on VCRs and other equipment in the early 90s).

The mighy mouse is a compromise between a one-button mouse and a real two-button mouse. IMHO compromised designs usually turn out to be bad designs.
  • Reply 11 of 28
    Eh ... The one or two button mouse argument is really another topic, but it is bad practice to bury menu items in a right click menu. Real usability should allow the user to select those options from within the apps menu bar.

You think the design sucks because of the sensitivity and trying to adapt yourself to it ... fine, its your opinion. I think most logitech mice feel like rocks and weigh a few pounds. To each his own, I guess, but the Mighty Mouse is more than capable of functioning.
  • Reply 12 of 28
    I just ordered a mighty mouse with my new MBP last week and I have to tell you that I'm starting to get concerned that I may have wasted my money. In addition to the conflicting reports I've read here I have a friend who described his experience in much the same way as many of you described the experience....takes a few days to get used to, cant rest your hand on the mouse (like I've always done), strange sensitivity issues, and being forced to learn a whole new way of using your mouse.

This isnt the worst thing in the world if the experience makes for a more functional mouse, but what bothers me is that it sounds like you have spend a few days to learn all the quirks just to use the mouse with no real advantages other than it's design. I have not received mine yet and plan to follow this up with my own hands-on report. For now I tend to agree with whoever said that Apple may be reluctantly toeing it's way into the two-button mouse. I was hoping that this would be a "regular" two-button mouse with Apple's styling. We'll see...
  • Reply 13 of 28
    Quote:

Originally posted by Playmaker

I just ordered a mighty mouse with my new MBP last week and I have to tell you that I'm starting to get concerned that I may have wasted my money.

Before you open your Mighty Mouse, take it with you to an Apple Store or an Apple reseller (like Fry's) and play around with theirs. Open the system prefs up and try changing up the functionality of the different buttons and adjusting mouse speed, etc. Yeah, it took me a week or so to get used to, but I was willing to do that because I hate the clunky feeling on Non-Apple mice. They always feel like I could seriously hurl it across the room and kill people with it. You hold every mouse a different way and if you get used to holding a huge mouse with your old PC, you might have problems using the MM at first, if you've always used an Apple one-button, then you'll have an easier time with it.
  • Reply 14 of 28
    Quote:

Originally posted by AgNuke1707

Before you open your Mighty Mouse, take it with you to an Apple Store or an Apple reseller (like Fry's) and play around with theirs. Open the system prefs up and try changing up the functionality of the different buttons and adjusting mouse speed, etc. Yeah, it took me a week or so to get used to, but I was willing to do that because I hate the clunky feeling on Non-Apple mice. They always feel like I could seriously hurl it across the room and kill people with it. You hold every mouse a different way and if you get used to holding a huge mouse with your old PC, you might have problems using the MM at first, if you've always used an Apple one-button, then you'll have an easier time with it.

I'll definatly try and do that thanks...although I will have to settle for compUSA because apparently Apple has no intention of ever placing an Apple store in Louisiana On the bright side imagining someone randomly throwing a mouse across the office makes me smile
  • Reply 15 of 28
    Quote:

Originally posted by Playmaker

I'll definatly try and do that thanks...although I will have to settle for compUSA because apparently Apple has no intention of ever placing an Apple store in Louisiana On the bright side imagining someone randomly throwing a mouse across the office makes me smile

Yeah, my roommate had problems getting his Wireless Logitech to show up on his computer, so he slammed it against his desk, then it went haywire and started jumping around so he threw it at the wall ... put a huge dent in the wall broke the battery casing so that it has to be held on by tape ... but strangely enough it works now...

But yeah, try it out ... if you don't like it, just play with the mice hooked up to the PC's and see if one suits YOUR needs better. If so, retunr your unopened MM for a refund ... I don't think you'll have to though
  • Reply 16 of 28
    dacloodacloo Posts: 890member
    Quote:

I think most logitech mice feel like rocks and weigh a few pounds.

Hmmm have you ever tried their "laptop" model? Its a very good mouse for a laptop or desktop (just two buttons, a scroll wheel, a cord and "laser guided"). It feels light and weights a lot less than the MM. Check it out! Model number UV-55a.
  • Reply 17 of 28
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    Quote:

Originally posted by thegreatluke

It's just a different mouse and takes a bit of getting used to.

Just because it's not for you doesn't mean it's worse, it's the same.

Sorry, but the concensus has been practically universal that you have to learn how to use the mouse in a special way, that's not ergonomically sound or superior to the operation of a normal mouse.
  • Reply 18 of 28
    15 years ago, Apple made products that simply worked while Microsoft made stuff which required some training.

Today, Microsoft makes some high-quality mice which just works. While Apple makes the mighty mouse, a product that apparently requires some training.
  • Reply 19 of 28
    When I first heard about and saw the MM I thought it would suck, and I decided I would never buy one. Then I ended up with one more or less by accident, and although I was sorely tempted to sell it rather than my trusty Logitech 2 button + wheel mouse without even opening the packaging I gave it a chance. It only took a couple of hours before I decided to sell the old one and stick with MM. Yes you have to lighten up on the mouse, but I was so heavy handed on the Logitech I would accidentally click that one! The MM forces me to lighten up, and strangely enough I've noticed in the last two months that it seems to be easier on my wrist and fingers (I've lightened up on my mouse at work too because of the habit MM has instilled). The other thing I did was disable the side buttons of MM... that is a completely awkward feature to use, so I simply turn it off. No real loss, the other mice in my life don't support it anyhow and the Fn keys work just fine. The scroll ball is a huge win.

One definite problem though: using the axial machine gun on tanks in Battlefield SUCKS with MM.
  • Reply 20 of 28
    kcmackcmac Posts: 1,051member
    I really like the MM. Can't stand anything else now. The scroll ball rules. Right click feels natural to me. I have found that I use a lot less pressure holding this mouse and my hand feels better at the end of the day.

I don't use the side buttons. Don't have a need for them but it is probably the only weakness for me with the MM.