mighty mouse not mighty :-(

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 28
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,953member
    I have some mixed feelings about the mighty mouse. For one, the scroll ball is the best idea I've seen in a long time. Every other scroll wheel and tilt wheel requires considerably more force to operate (a LOT more for side to side) and gets old. The competing tilt wheels aren't proportional either, and require a lot more force as well. In contrast, the MM needs almost no force. The force required to middle click is about half that of competing mice as well.

I do wish that Apple truly gave up the one button dogma rather than making a bad attempt at trying for best of both worlds. MM doesn't work as a left hand mouse unless you keep your second button finger away from the left botton if you swap the buttons. When both buttons have a finger near it, the mouse/ OS always assumes a click is the left button, regardless of left/right arrangement.

BTW: I disabled the side buttons. Mine required far too much force to activate anyway and I don't really need them.

At any rate, I like the scroll ball so much more that for now, I'll put up with the backwardness of a typical Apple mouse to get it.
  • Reply 22 of 28
    Has anyone else been experiencing problems with the scroll ball??? About a month ago it wouldnt scroll up but magically started working one day so i couldnt figure out what was wrong... now it wont scroll down... any thoughts???
  • Reply 23 of 28
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,468moderator
    I'm glad I got the chance to use one at work. I hate MM too. The main reason is that it's hard to get consistent clicks from the multi-buttons. As a one button mouse with a wheel/ball it would be ok but I absolutely need consistent clicks from my 3D software. It's hard enough when I have to undo with my own mistakes but having to put up with MM almost doubles the problem. I use a Microsoft 5-button Intellimouse and I'm very happy with it. The only thing I dislike is the height of it but I can live with that.
  • Reply 24 of 28
    icfireballicfireball Posts: 2,594member
    My Mighty Mouse is like perfect. The side buttons are great for Expose and are not too sensative or not sensative enough. The right/left click takes some getting used to but you don't even think about it once you do get used to it.

To all that are whining out there, this is the worlds smallest violin playing a sad song for you.
  • Reply 25 of 28
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,953member
    Quote:

Originally posted by icfireball

To all that are whining out there, this is the worlds smallest violin playing a sad song for you.

Don't be a jerk. The mighty mouse isn't perfect just because you say it is. Frankly, I think it is bad form to blame the user for problems with the product, especially for a product that is so simple as a mouse.

The new system isn't very intuitive, and the amount of force isn't consistent WRT the fourth button. For my mouse, it takes a LOT of force to activate the the fourth button, I don't see how someone could say it is "just right" unless there is a lot of variability in these things. Frankly, the system for detecting the primary button is brain-damaged and cannot be swapped for left hand use.
  • Reply 26 of 28
    splinemodelsplinemodel Posts: 7,311member
    One thing I have to say is that it took me a week to get used to the Mighty mouse, but at the end of the week I came to like it a lot. The scroll ball is kind of awkward at first, but it ends up becoming very pleasant to use.

For what it's worth, I have always liked nimble, smal mice and questioned whether or not people who "needed" clunky mice were actually apes in disguise. As it turns out, I had what seemed to be exceptionally good fine motor control in the wirst and hand, but thenl I shattered my wrist about 9 months ago and did a number on the nerves in my right hand (sucks, since I am/was a righty). Until about 3 months ago I had trouble with small mice, but now I'm at about 1/3 of my old self, and I again prefer the nimble kinds mice that I had prefered originally. So what's the point of this anecdote? My point is that I am more convinced than ever before that people who have trouble with small mice are indeed apes, or are at least people recovering from severe wrist trauma.
  • Reply 27 of 28
    Quote:

Originally posted by icfireball

My Mighty Mouse is like perfect. The side buttons are great for Expose and are not too sensative or not sensative enough. The right/left click takes some getting used to but you don't even think about it once you do get used to it.

Have fun playing Lemmings all day long with it.
  • Reply 28 of 28
    icfireballicfireball Posts: 2,594member
    Quote:

Originally posted by JohnnySmith

Have fun playing Lemmings all day long with it.

If only it came for Mac OS X...