Outside Apple's new multi-million dollar Newark facility (photos)

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Following a breaking report earlier in the week, correspondents swung by Apple Computer's recently acquired multi-million dollar data center in Newark, Calif. to observe the status of the facility and report on any activity that may be taking place.

Earlier this week, the San Jose Business Journal reported that Apple had acquired the impressively-equipped but never used data center, which was originally conceived for communications company MCI WorldCom before getting mothballed after its 2001 completion.

The iPod maker paid an estimated $45 million to $50 million for the 107,000-square-foot facility -- almost a third of the fetching price for similar buildings -- by acquiring it through Dallas, Texas-based Stream Realty Partners, which buys and resells unoccupied data centers at discount.

According to AppleInsider correspondents, the data center as of Wednesday afternoon reflected very little, if any, activity. Only a single automobile was parked in the lot of the building at 39800 Eureka Drive, which is completely secured by iron gates and upwards of 50 wide-angle and sweeping video surveillance cameras.

Categorized as a "Tier IV," the most elaborate of data centers, the Newark facility is said to sport the highest levels of redundancy and security, Internet pipes and ventilation systems. Its outside gates require a key-card for access, according to correspondents -- whose overall impression was that "the facility did not look very friendly."

Apple's precise plans for the data center are unclear at this time. Several photos of the exterior and entranceway are provided below for curious readers.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 27
    ricksbrainricksbrain Posts: 517member
    Sweet. Maybe they dissect alien computers inside.
  • Reply 2 of 27
    maccentricmaccentric Posts: 263member
    It's too bad we can't read what it says on the blue sign in the last picture. Other than that, at present time, the facility does not look that secure. I mean, it would be pretty easy to hop over that gate. I'm sure that will change once its new tenants move in.

I think this will be a big distribution center for iTunes Video.
  • Reply 3 of 27
    emig647emig647 Posts: 2,455member
    Quote:

Originally posted by MacCentric

I mean, it would be pretty easy to hop over that gate.

Till you jump on the electromagnetic asphault ... instantly followed by a HUGE electric shock.. =P

Yah I am willing to bet this is iTunes related.
  • Reply 4 of 27
    Quote:

Originally posted by emig647

Till you jump on the electromagnetic asphault ... instantly followed by a HUGE electric shock.. =P

Yah I am willing to bet this is iTunes related.

It has to be. But this suggests the need for FUTURE growth, not necessarily present-day. Seems like the behind the scenes agreements may be going well! If their not hurrying about the facility right now, they have something big yet to come. Unless, of course, it's just a major upgrade for what already exists (now that they have a gold mine).
  • Reply 5 of 27
    xoolxool Posts: 2,460member
    The question is, does it have Get Smart style interlocking hallway with hand scanners?
  • Reply 6 of 27
    Hee hee. Or Steve talking into his shoe? Or maybe Phil's shoe...?
  • Reply 7 of 27
    screedscreed Posts: 1,077member
    Debuting at WWDC '06: the iCone

"Silence reinvented."

Let's see, infrastructure planning (electrical, network, HVAC), purchasing, installation, personnel facilities planning (cubicles, restrooms, etc.) and on and on. This site's 8 months to a year away from being used.

Keep the recon coming!
  • Reply 8 of 27
    mark2005mark2005 Posts: 1,158member
    This is a good sign that Apple expects future growth for Internet-based services, whether it be iTunes, .Mac, or Mobile Me.

I don't see Napster or Real investing in any property...
  • Reply 9 of 27
    xoolxool Posts: 2,460member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ricksbrain

Hee hee. Or Steve talking into his shoe? Or maybe Phil's shoe...?

Ironically, I was being serious! I've been to data centers with aforementioned interlocking hallways and hand scanners.

In a few years from now you'll whip your balls out and place them on a scanner for some biometric comparisons. Then again... that's if you're lucky!!
  • Reply 10 of 27
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:

Originally posted by sCreeD

Debuting at WWDC '06: the iCone

"Silence reinvented."

Let's see, infrastructure planning (electrical, network, HVAC), purchasing, installation, personnel facilities planning (cubicles, restrooms, etc.) and on and on. This site's 8 months to a year away from being used.

Keep the recon coming!

I thought this thing was all filled, and ready to go. At least that's what the Times seemed to say.
  • Reply 11 of 27
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:

Originally posted by melgross

I thought this thing was all filled, and ready to go. At least that's what the Times seemed to say.

A few nicely shot pictures dispell a million rumors.

Also, why is there no giant iPod-style fingerprint scanner on the front of that security gate?
  • Reply 12 of 27
    Quote:

Originally posted by SpamSandwich

A few nicely shot pictures dispell a million rumors.

Also, why is there no giant iPod-style fingerprint scanner on the front of that security gate?

the pictures don't tell us anything. They look like pictures of any building. And they are from the outside, so tell us nothing about what is inside.

And if you read this article, it confirms that.

Read the "impressively equipped". That sounds as though it's pretty much ready to go. Just has to be checked out, and started up. Of course, Apple will have to do whatever they need to do to connect up to their own centers, but that won't take too long.
  • Reply 13 of 27
    macroninmacronin Posts: 1,174member
    Quote:

Originally posted by melgross

Filled with Tier IV infrastructure...

Power distribution, cabling, ventilation, HVAC, battery back-ups, generators, raised flooring & row after row of empty racks...

That is what I would expect...

After all, everything we know says the facility was built for MCI, but nothing of them taking possession and installing their equipment...

So Apple just needs to place a huge order with the Apple Store, and start setting up banks and banks of Xserves & XRAIDs...

Maybe now they will start working on that blade server i keep wishing for...

Sweet!
  • Reply 14 of 27
    maccentricmaccentric Posts: 263member
    Quote:

Originally posted by MacRonin

So Apple just needs to place a huge order with the Apple Store, and start setting up banks and banks of Xserves & XRAIDs...

I agree and I love the comment about placing a huge order with the Apple store.
  • Reply 15 of 27
    Quote:

Originally posted by MacRonin

Filled with Tier IV infrastructure...

Power distribution, cabling, ventilation, HVAC, battery back-ups, generators, raised flooring & row after row of empty racks...

That is what I would expect...

After all, everything we know says the facility was built for MCI, but nothing of them taking possession and installing their equipment...

Maybe now they will start working on that blade server i keep wishing for...

Sweet!

I remember reading, back when MCI mothballed this center, that it cost them almost $1 billion . There's more than empty racks inside.
  • Reply 16 of 27
    I work in a company just around the bend from 39800 Eureka Drive. My co-worker and I frequently walked by that place and always wondered what it was. It wasn't until one day a guy was standing out front talking on his cell phone sporting a nametag with the apple insignia and his name. I knew exactly what is was after that. The most recent additions to the building are an electric fence that is wired around the entire perimeter housing the building and parking lot. there are camera's covering almost a full 360 around the area. THere is a entrance gate for cars that only opens for employees and is equipped with a camera, but the funny part is the building is largely unmarked. There is even a main entrance door that is simply marked "Main Entrance". This door is also armed with a camera that is a standard door, they apparently don't use the atrium entrances like our company and others around us do. The windows are all black out and the vehicles are all pretty standard nothing expensive looking and the other day when we talked by it again we heard what sounded like a loud ventilation system or fan, it was pretty loud. Who knows, now my mother works for Apple computer as an area admin at the infinite loop building in Cupertino. She said she knew something about it when I asked her after seeing the guy with the nametag. After googling the address my suspicions were confirmed, then I got sent a link by my co-worker that led me to this Apple Insider page about that building. THis is all I know so far take with it what you will, if you need anymore pics I can easily take some but I gotta be careful we are having a mosquito invasion over here.
  • Reply 17 of 27
    groveratgroverat Posts: 10,872member
    Quote:

Apple's precise plans for the data center are unclear at this time.

I bet they're gonna host some Internets.
  • Reply 18 of 27
    Thats a lot of stuff guarding the place for something as trivial as a data center or internet hub, or even a customer service center. It does say on google something about AppleStore, so it makes me wonder if they are using the place for online distributing? Any thoughts?
  • Reply 19 of 27
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacNinja View Post

I work in a company just around the bend from 39800 Eureka Drive. My co-worker and I frequently walked by that place and always wondered what it was. It wasn't until one day a guy was standing out front talking on his cell phone sporting a nametag with the apple insignia and his name. I knew exactly what is was after that. The most recent additions to the building are an electric fence that is wired around the entire perimeter housing the building and parking lot. there are camera's covering almost a full 360 around the area. THere is a entrance gate for cars that only opens for employees and is equipped with a camera, but the funny part is the building is largely unmarked. There is even a main entrance door that is simply marked "Main Entrance". This door is also armed with a camera that is a standard door, they apparently don't use the atrium entrances like our company and others around us do. The windows are all black out and the vehicles are all pretty standard nothing expensive looking and the other day when we talked by it again we heard what sounded like a loud ventilation system or fan, it was pretty loud. Who knows, now my mother works for Apple computer as an area admin at the infinite loop building in Cupertino. She said she knew something about it when I asked her after seeing the guy with the nametag. After googling the address my suspicions were confirmed, then I got sent a link by my co-worker that led me to this Apple Insider page about that building. THis is all I know so far take with it what you will, if you need anymore pics I can easily take some but I gotta be careful we are having a mosquito invasion over here.

How did you even find this old thread? Wasn't there a newer one that would have served?

I'm not saying you shouldn't have. Just curious.
  • Reply 20 of 27
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

How did you even find this old thread? Wasn't there a newer one that would have served?

I'm not saying you shouldn't have. Just curious.

As I stated in the last novel I wrote, my co-worker sent me a link about the Newark building. So today I checked it out and found it when I clicked on the comments. Apparently this discussion became unimportant quickly. I just thought I might give an update for anyone who cared to know. Its just so weird seeing a strange building like that, we kept calling it our little area 51 because its secure facade. Its just interesting to know its an apple building.