New MacBook Predications

Comments

• Reply 61 of 99
    I really liked this configuration, it was posted by Legacy at the http://www.macrumors.com/ forums.

Quote:

$999 MacBook 13.3? Solo

Intel Core Solo 1.5Ghz Processor with 2MB L2 Cache

512MB DDR2 Memory (MAX 2GB)

60GB 5400rpm Hard Drive (MAX 120GB)

Intel GMA950 Graphics Chipset wth 64MB Shared VRAM

Slot-loading Combo Drive (DVD-ROM/CD-RW)

Built-in Airport Extreme with Bluetooth 2.0

FrontRow with Apple Remote

Built-in iSight camera

$1299 MacBook 13.3? Duo

Intel Core Duo 1.66Ghz Processor with 2MB L2 Cache

512MB DDR2 Memory (MAX 2GB)

80GB 5400rpm Hard Drive (MAX 120GB)

ATI X1300 64MB Discreet Graphics Chipset (128Mb U/G option)

Slot-loading Superdrive (DVD-RW/CD-RW)

Built-in Airport Extreme with Bluetooth 2.0

FrontRow with Apple Remote

Built-in iSight camera

The only thing I think will be different is the prices, I think the lower end version will be $1099 and the higher end version will be $1399.

I really believe that the MacBooks will have dedicated graphic cards or atleast the higher end version will have one.

This is one reason why I believe the MacBook will use a dedicated graphic card.. http://www.apple.com/ibook/graphics.html

Quote:

That?s because Apple engineers equipped the new iBook G4 with a powerful, professional-level graphics processor. Using an ATI Radeon 9550 graphics processor with 32 megabytes of dedicated DDR SDRAM and AGP 4X, the iBook G4 delivers blistering 2D, 3D and multimedia graphics performance for today?s most demanding games and applications.

Another reason I believe they won't use integrated graphics is because this laptop is aimed at High School/Univ. students who like playing games from time to time, so it makes sense to have a good graphic card.

Anyway these are my thoughts and if I'm wrong well I'll be the first to admit it!
  • Reply 62 of 99
    zengazenga Posts: 267member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Cory Bauer

Both ThinkSecret and Appleinsider are claiming the next iBooks will be built around a 13.3" screen. I think the 13.3" would do them well because it makes for a more compact laptop (remember that a lot of iBooks end up in backpacks) and because they'd be creeping in on the MacBook Pro's with anything larger.

I agree.. the 13.3" will be a great laptop for mobile users and also will give Apple the chance to enter that size market @ least until the fully turn intel and maybe bring the new 12.1" (wide). I've seen those 14.1" (wide) and they really look cool, besides they're not that big, but obviously too big for the 12" packers.. I definitely want the smallest laptop Apple can give me with the usual features that road runners need.

What I do believe is that the current 12" & 14" form factor are old news & the new wide ones are the future... I think Apple has waited too long to change to the wide side in all laptops.. All I know is that I have a 15" wide laptop @ work (not a mac ) and it's really big & heavy to move around, even with a backpack feels heavy..

It would be nice to have the smallest a 12" or 13" MacBook & connect it to a cinema display @ work...

That would be awesome..!

• Reply 63 of 99
    Quote:

this is one reason why I believe the MacBook will use a dedicated graphic card.. http://www.apple.com/ibook/graphics.html

quote:

That?s because Apple engineers equipped the new iBook G4 with a powerful, professional-level graphics processor. Using an ATI Radeon 9550 graphics processor with 32 megabytes of dedicated DDR SDRAM and AGP 4X, the iBook G4 delivers blistering 2D, 3D and multimedia graphics performance for today?s most demanding games and applications.

I guess you never saw the old marketing for the mac mini.. On the Apple site upto a day after the Intel Mac Minis were released..

http://web.archive.org/web/200503050.../graphics.html

LOL!

Lesson 1 don't believe any Marketing - especially from the Apple/Jobs combo. the jury is still out IMHO.
  • Reply 64 of 99
    Quote:

Originally posted by OfficerDigby

I guess you never saw the old marketing for the mac mini.. On the Apple site upto a day after the Intel Mac Minis were released..

http://web.archive.org/web/200503050.../graphics.html

LOL!

Lesson 1 don't believe any Marketing - especially from the Apple/Jobs combo. the jury is still out IMHO.

Actually I had, but I don't think you can compare the mac mini to the iBook for the reasons I stated and if you look at the same marketing campaign it barely mentions games, except at the end unlike the iBook which makes it very clear from the start that iBook is a game machine.

Plus Apple knows that games don't sell very well and if you put only intergrated graphics on all but the pro Macs, then they will sale even worse!

Power Mac = PowerBook (MacBoook Pro)

iMac = iBook (MacBook)

Mac mini = (new entry level laptop(s) with intergrated graphics?)

And for the people who say that the iMac and iBook don't compare, well neither do the pro desktop or laptop but who the heck thinks a laptop is going to do better then there desktop counterpart?
  • Reply 65 of 99
    icibaquicibaqu Posts: 278member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Zenga

dude.. that looks like a chick store

thankx anyway!

well i think they were selling mini's through them before.
  • Reply 66 of 99
    Quote:

...Actually I had, but I don't think you can compare the mac mini to the iBook for the reasons I stated and if you look at the same marketing campaign it barely mentions games, except at the end unlike the iBook which makes it very clear from the start that iBook is a game machine.

OK I'm on board, the graphics of the iBook have always been 'set to stun!" a (Mac) gamers dream LOL!

I hope your right mate!
  • Reply 67 of 99
    The iBook is not, nor ever was a gaming machine. It is a consumer notebook aimed at the education market. Apple does not make a "gaming notebook". Yes, many of the computers they sell will handle running some of the popular game titles, but they are not built specifically for this.
  • Reply 68 of 99
    dhagan4755dhagan4755 Posts: 2,152member
    Interesting "page 2" posting over at MacRumors:

Quote:

Melablog.it notices that Apple appears to be advertising under the keyword "MacBook" in Google.it's search results.

The top result returns a link to the Italy Apple Store, which is not necessarily interesting in itself, but it describes the Macbook as starting at 999?.

No MacBook Pro starts that low, and the current iBook starts at 1049? in the Italy Apple Store.

(Of note, the Google ad has now been changed.)

• Reply 69 of 99
    pbrpbr Posts: 24member
    Quote:

Originally posted by DHagan4755

Interesting "page 2" posting over at MacRumors:

Interesting, indeed...

I'm really looking forward to that machine - I actually know today that I will get one of them as soon as possible.. (provided that the price for a >12" model is <?1200)

But unfortunately they forgot to mention the specs below the price...
  • Reply 70 of 99
    Quote:

Originally posted by OfficerDigby

OK I'm on board, the graphics of the iBook have always been 'set to stun!" a (Mac) gamers dream LOL!

I hope your right mate!

I hope so too!!

Quote:

Originally posted by opnsource

The iBook is not, nor ever was a gaming machine. It is a consumer notebook aimed at the education market. Apple does not make a "gaming notebook". Yes, many of the computers they sell will handle running some of the popular game titles, but they are not built specifically for this.

I never said it was but they do have games in mind.. read the link I posted it. And like I said lots of people in the education market love playing games, so of course having it in mind never hurts!
  • Reply 71 of 99
    opnsourceopnsource Posts: 216member
    I never said it was but they do have games in mind.. read the link I posted it. And like I said lots of people in the education market love playing games, so of course having it in mind never hurts! [/B][/QUOTE]

Touché, sir! Touché...
  • Reply 72 of 99
    pippinpippin Posts: 91member
    Is it unreasonable for me to hope for audio in? It's all I want in the whole world.
  • Reply 73 of 99
    surfratsurfrat Posts: 341member
    What's a predication?
  • Reply 74 of 99
    mystmyst Posts: 112member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Pippin

Is it unreasonable for me to hope for audio in? It's all I want in the whole world.

I would suggest looking for standard intel boards in the iBook class as that seems to be what Apple is using.

Anyway, I would expect the low end iBook to use a Integrated chipset, and the high end to use a X1300. The bottom line is that Apple hasn't really been in the situation of competing with PC companies using the same processors, so it will be hard for them to clearly draw the line between MacBook and MacBook Pro. I expect the line to be blurred with the release and cleared for a few months in september with Merom in Pros and screwed up again in January with MacBook updates.... anyway I guess we'll see if the difference will be defined with the Integrated graphics or if Apple won't lower the iBook to the Mac Mini level.

In a dream world I would hope that the new MacBooks make use of a touchscreen/convertable idea so I can play with the new Apple patented gesture user interface. That would be a good product, integrated graphics or not.
  • Reply 75 of 99
    All I know is, if the Mac mini gets audio in but the iBook doesn't, I'm going to explode a little bit.
  • Reply 76 of 99
    irelandireland Posts: 17,799member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Pippin

All I know is, if the Mac mini gets audio in but the iBook doesn't, I'm going to explode a little bit.

Your going to "explode a little bit", Seems impossible.

Looks-wise I would say it will differ from the iBook!

I don't think it will be white, but I could be wrong.

Just a hunch!
  • Reply 77 of 99
    Just my elbow will explode. No more arm bending.
  • Reply 78 of 99
    Quote:

Originally posted by opnsource

Touché, sir! Touché...

I apologize if you thought I was "Touché", because I wasn't

Anyway we are all on the same side

Only about 2 more weeks to go before the MacBook is hopefully released and I'm going to be all over it!!!!!
  • Reply 79 of 99
    Quote:

Originally posted by Darth_Apple

I apologize if you thought I was "Touché", because I wasn't

Anyway we are all on the same side

Only about 2 more weeks to go before the MacBook is hopefully released and I'm going to be all over it!!!!!

I was not and am not offended. My reply in that post was simply a tip of my hat to you, Darth Apple, recognizing your excelent counter point.
  • Reply 80 of 99
    Well, I been sittin', waitin', wishin' for the MacBook to debut. Everyday I check Apple's website just in case they decided to release it on some ambiguous date. I hate Windows. Someone save me!