My PS pictures of next iMac form factor

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 65
    Excellent idea and a super clean design.
  • Reply 62 of 65
    slugheadslughead Posts: 1,169member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Hawkeye_a

If the "chin" is so important to the whole user experience, i wonder why the iMac G4, or any of the cinema displays dont have it.

I dont have a problem with having a 1.5-2" bezel around the iMacs display (all around). but i do find a "chin" with no apparent reason for being there for the user, ugly......functionally and asthetically. it's out of proportions with the rest of the unit for no apparent reason.

If "housing" the power supply and speakers is your reason, i think it would be justified to make the iMac deeper, and present a more attractive face to users, with a uniform bezel around the display.

Simple. symetrical. attractive. functional.

I'll take that as a "I agree totally, slughead! Way to be!" as you said exactly like I said.. only like less of an asshole... could you like.. follow me around the forum, repost what I said in a way people will actually read?

I've always said if everyone listened to me, the world would be a better place, but maybe they should listen to you instead. Hail Hawkeye_a!

Back to the topic at hand, someone mentioned other designs "copying" the imac being not nearly as sleek. I'd have to agree, but on the other hand they're usually cheaper and have more features. Apple needs to go all out on their design. I've got a leno-sized chin on my mug, I don't want to think my computer's mocking me.
  • Reply 63 of 65
    Quote:

Originally posted by slughead

I'll take that as a "I agree totally, slughead! Way to be!" as you said exactly like I said.. only like less of an asshole... could you like.. follow me around the forum, repost what I said in a way people will actually read?

• Reply 64 of 65
    With a 20" G5 iMac at home and a 23" display at work (connected to a PB) I spend a lot of time on both approaches to design. The chin is large, but I've always felt that it keeps the heat of the power brick away from the display. It's a toss up on the question of removing it in order to remove the chin.

The 23" is a joy and no chin is needed - there is so much real estate that you don't notice the edges that much when working on it. That might actually be the key in terms of future design - the larger the display the smaller the chin, or a need for a chin.

I think another key for future designs will be the ability to use a lot of notebook components in the desktops, minimizing the space required. The Mac mini is a good start at the low end - there is a just a need to get some components up to speed, like the HD.

As far as the mockup goes - first rate. Great job, keep at it.
  • Reply 65 of 65
    jtblqjtblq Posts: 86member
    Quote:

Originally posted by dansgil

Personally, I like the "chin" on the current iMac.

What I would love to have is for the next iMac to look like the Cinema Displays. Aluminum with a thin bezel would be really nice.

-DG

yeah.

the chin is kinda distracting IMHO....