Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Edit: Macshrine has gone over it's bandwidth quota. Here are some mirrors:

http://xidi.us/temp/1.jpg

http://xidi.us/temp/2.jpg

http://xidi.us/temp/3.jpg

http://macshrine.com/ipodav.htm

Quote:

Oh boy, you ready to continue the whole iPod video saga?

As with any Apple product we cannot tell you wether the project will actually get out of the labs. So we are retracting our previous statement. Based on information from ThinkSecret and other Mac rumor sites, it does indeed seem very likely that this unit will be released on 1st April 2006. We just don't want you selling your old iPods because of us!

Update: Sorry about disabling the rest of the site, we didn't want to go offline again. All the PHP/SQL processes from WordPress killed us about 3 times last week. We did keep the forums online though.

Update 2: These images were adjusted in size by ImageWell on an eMac. Just wanted to clear that up before the 'hoaxers' make a mess of things.

Seems pretty convincing!

- Xidius

Comments

• Reply 1 of 70
    Probably fake like the other one. Screen is too small if you believe in TS..
  • Reply 2 of 70
    >_>>_> Posts: 336member
    Quote:

Originally posted by T'hain Esh Kelch

Probably fake like the other one. Screen is too small if you believe in TS..

Actually your argument seems to be further proof. o_O

4 inch (diagonal) LCD = ~ 3.5" x 2"

iPod dimensions = ~ 4" x 2.5"

That leaves half an inch per dimension, or a quarter-inch boarder all the way around, which was exactly what TS reported:

Quote:

Originally posted by Think Secret

Apple's forthcoming "true" video iPod will feature a 4-inch display with a quarter-inch border, allowing the device to maintain dimensions typical of previous iPods

- Xidius
  • Reply 3 of 70
    thataboythataboy Posts: 47member
    So all of a sudden, the headphone port is going back on the top? I don't buy it. I WANT it, but I'm not buying this is it
  • Reply 4 of 70
    xoolxool Posts: 2,460member
    Even if this is a fake, the form factor is probably correct. Think of all the Universal iPod Dock accessories are out there, including the iPod Hi-Fi. If Apple releases a new iPod that didn't work with any of them it'd be a huge mistake. This is why any new iPod would have to fit in existing docks and thus it would have to be practically the same width.

The weird thing is, if its placed in the iPod Hi-Fi, there's no way to view it in widescreen mode since it would be sitting in the dock vertically. But who knows what other tricks Apple has up their sleeves.
  • Reply 5 of 70
    ryanhryanh Posts: 116member
    I think it seems too thin. With a touch screen display that is seemingly going to be backlit a lot of the time [watching movies], I figure it needs a larger battery than the current fifth gen so you can actually watch video for at least ~3-4 hours.
  • Reply 6 of 70
    interesting thing is that the ipod in these images has a bezel that i haven't seen on any of the other ipods. at least none of the five we have here in the house or the other 2 gens i've owned. if you look at picture 2 you'll see that the bezel is a quarter-round with a very short flat part all within the white section. the ipod photo and clickwheel generation is quarter round and no flat part. the 5g ipods are square edged. i dunno what exactly that means, but it's at least someless less likely to be a photoshop of an existing ipod.
  • Reply 7 of 70
    johnrpjohnrp Posts: 357member
    ryanh is right.. to thin, it looks like it is the thinner of the AV models..

If this was a product it would at least have a 60GB drive as the smaller option, look at the positioning of the "dockslot".

Shame I would propbably get one as well :-)

j.
  • Reply 8 of 70
    xoolxool Posts: 2,460member
    Uh-oh, sounds like account bandwidth limits got crossed...
  • Reply 9 of 70
    nebagakidnebagakid Posts: 2,692member
    Is Ice Age 2 even out yet?

also, why can't these people ever give us a shot of the back side?
  • Reply 10 of 70
    murkmurk Posts: 935member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Nebagakid

Is Ice Age 2 even out yet?

No but the trailer is. Ice Age
  • Reply 11 of 70
    mandricardmandricard Posts: 486member
    Boy, if it's a fake, it is a dang good one.......
  • Reply 12 of 70
    mr. dirkmr. dirk Posts: 187member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Thataboy

So all of a sudden, the headphone port is going back on the top? I don't buy it. I WANT it, but I'm not buying this is it

The headphone port was always on the top in the "iPod" itself--it used to be in the middle (from 1G-4G) and the in the 5G it was moved to the side, where it apparently remains in this photo. It is the iPod nano that has the headphone port on the bottom.

Quote:

Originally posted by admactanium

interesting thing is that the ipod in these images has a bezel that i haven't seen on any of the other ipods. at least none of the five we have here in the house or the other 2 gens i've owned. if you look at picture 2 you'll see that the bezel is a quarter-round with a very short flat part all within the white section. the ipod photo and clickwheel generation is quarter round and no flat part. the 5g ipods are square edged.

Perhaps the bezel has to do with the touchscreen? I was looking at my 5G 30gb iPod today, and holding it around the sides of the screen as if the front were covered by the screen... and there wasn't much room for my finger to grab onto that wouldn't get onto the screen. Perhaps Apple added the bezel so you could "grip" the iPod without disturbing the screen (and thus causing the controls to appear)?

In any case, this looks to be one of the most realistic/likely iPod pics we've seen yet... But really, are our photoshop experts all on union break or something? By this time, you'd think it would have been debunked...
  • Reply 13 of 70
    msanttimsantti Posts: 1,377member
    Probably not real but then again, I think its very close to what we will see.

I am guessing the same dimensions all around with exception of thickness perhaps.

Depending on the price, its very high on my "lust" list.
  • Reply 14 of 70
    i'm actually a photoshop expert myself. i don't get into too many debates on fake photos because honestly it's just too hard to tell. people will always come up with reasons why something is fake, and even if it is fake, often it has nothing to do with the reasons the "experts" claim. i've done plenty of pro retouching that has gone to print for some major clients. but at the end of the day, a very good retoucher can/should be able to fool another good retoucher.

the difference in the bezel here is the most intriguing part. i don't know of another ipod that ever had a bezel like that.
  • Reply 15 of 70
    hobbithobbit Posts: 532member
    What exactly looks different about the bezel? I don't have a 5G iPod, but spinning the online QTVR iPod around, it looks pretty much identical to me.

If there is a slight difference, which I cannot detect, perhaps it's photoshopped from a white Nano?
  • Reply 16 of 70
    bergzbergz Posts: 1,045member
    I see.... I see.... class action suits for enormous broken screens with thumbprints....

I see.... I see.... class action suits because the battery can't make it through the LOtR trilogy....

--B
  • Reply 17 of 70
    Quote:

Originally posted by hobBIT

What exactly looks different about the bezel? I don't have a 5G iPod, but spinning the online QTVR iPod around, it looks pretty much identical to me.

If there is a slight difference, which I cannot detect, perhaps it's photoshopped from a white Nano?

no, i have a nano as well. here's a quick illustrator example i made up since it's hard to describe.

here's a closeup on picture 2:

• Reply 18 of 70
    trtamtrtam Posts: 111member
    I like it. The touchscreen is so ingenious! So much more efficient than all the scroll/touch/click wheels. Then again, this mock-up touchwheel on the screen doesn't strike me as too efficient because you'd still have to scroll your finger around the wheel on the screen to scroll down.
  • Reply 19 of 70
    mr. dirkmr. dirk Posts: 187member
    Quote:

Originally posted by trtam

I like it. The touchscreen is so ingenious! So much more efficient than all the scroll/touch/click wheels. Then again, this mock-up touchwheel on the screen doesn't strike me as too efficient because you'd still have to scroll your finger around the wheel on the screen to scroll down.

As opposed to Apple creating a scroll bar of some sort that would be big enough for fingers? Not to mention the fact that consumers are familiar with the scroll wheel concept (or, at least, those who bought an iPod mini or iPod 4G), so it still could be argued that the "touch-wheel" would be the most efficient implementation of scrolling or volume-changing.
  • Reply 20 of 70
    bryan.furybryan.fury Posts: 164member
    Quote:

Originally posted by admactanium

no, i have a nano as well. here's a quick illustrator example i made up since it's hard to describe.

there is no bezel. it looks exactly like my 5g iPod (with video). what you think looks like a bezel is simply a refraction on the side where the clear acrylic of the top mets the white acrylic underneath.

Quote:

Originally posted by murk

No but the trailer is. Ice Age

i doubt that the trailer is aprox. 90 min long (judging from the playhead position at 17:33 and about 1/5th of the way.