Intel offers new details on Power Mac-bound desktop processors

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Speaking to developers at its semiannual developer forum on Tuesday, Intel Corp. shed a few new details on its next-generation multi-core desktop processors, which are destine to turn up inside Apple's first Intel-based Power Mac systems in the second half of the year.

During a keynote presentation, Pat Gelsinger, Intel's senior vice president and general manager of the Digital Enterprise Group, showcased "Conroe," a dual-core desktop processor based on the company's new Core microarchitecture that can reduce power consumption by 40 percent while delivering greater than 40 percent improvements in computing performance.

The chip, which is on track to begin volume shipments in the third quarter of 2006, is the most likely candidate to turn up in Apple's Power Mac professional desktop systems late in the Summer.

Gelsinger revealed that Intel has decided to make Conroe part of its Professional Business Platform -- codenamed Averill. He said the new platform will deliver world-class IT security and manageability capabilities for businesses through the Conroe dual-core processor along with a new chipset codenamed Broadwater, Intel Virtualization Technology and the second generation of Intel Active Management Technology.

Additionally, Intel also announced at the conference that it plans to ship a quad?core processor -- codenamed "Kentsfield" -- for high?end desktop PCs in early 2007. However, further details of the chip were not available.

Not coincidentally, Apple Computer also announced on Tuesday that it will hold its annual World Wide Developers Conference in the second half of the year, as opposed to late May or June as it has done in the past.

The conference, set to kick-off on August 7th, is expected to offer Mac OS X developers their first look at the company's next-generation operating system, Mac OS X 10.5 "Leopard." It's also expected to yield the first public demonstrations of a Power Mac desktop computer utilizing Intel's Conroe chip.

With Apple's engineering team hard pressed to meet an accelerated Intel transition schedule enforced by chief executive officer Steve Jobs, Intel is reportedly aiding Apple in the development of the first Intel-based Power Mac.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 50
    40% less watt usage and 40% more power... w00tness! Looking good for my Merom MacBook!
  • Reply 2 of 50
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    Now this I cannot wait for.

Finally a new architecture for Intel...hell I love new architectures from anyone.

I think we'll see Conroe at the low and midrange and Woodcrest at the high end.

Finally AMD performance at Intel pricing.
  • Reply 3 of 50

Formatting be damned.
  • Reply 4 of 50
    nagrommenagromme Posts: 2,834member
    I'm not waiting for quad-cores. Dual-duals will be just fine
  • Reply 5 of 50
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    Quote:

Originally posted by T'hain Esh Kelch

40% less watt usage and 40% more power... w00tness! Looking good for my Merom MacBook!

That's Conroe compared to Pent D. Merom 20% faster same energy consumption compared to Yonah.

See link below:

http://www.anandtech.com/tradeshows/...spx?i=2711&p=4

• Reply 6 of 50
    rpm16601rpm16601 Posts: 23member
    Quote:

Originally posted by nagromme

I'm not waiting for quad-cores. Dual-duals will be just fine

How about dual quads DROOOL!!!
  • Reply 7 of 50
    jimzipjimzip Posts: 446member
    Ooooh quad-core! Now they're talking..

But as stated above.. Dual-dual would be just fine.

Quote:

Originally posted by rpm16601

How about dual quads DROOOL!!!

Until quad-quad comes out!

Jimzip
  • Reply 8 of 50
    xoolxool Posts: 2,460member
    I'm gonna buy something by September 6th, hopefully it will have some tasty new hardware inside.
  • Reply 9 of 50
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    I think it's a sad day if Apple is using the Conroe instead of Woodcrest in a Mac workstation. They should use the XEON equivalent woodcrest.
  • Reply 10 of 50
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    Quote:

Originally posted by hmurchison

I think we'll see Conroe at the low and midrange and Woodcrest at the high end.

Well if they did include a dual woodcrest for the highend model that would be different.
  • Reply 11 of 50
    mr. hmr. h Posts: 4,870member
    Quote:

Originally posted by onlooker

I think it's a sad day if Apple is using the Conroe instead of Woodcrest in a Mac workstation. They should use the XEON equivalent woodcrest.

ditto. Hopefully, as hmurchison suggested: Conroe at low- and mid- range, and Woodcrest for "the beast".
  • Reply 12 of 50
    kim kap solkim kap sol Posts: 2,987member
    Conroe's already look amazing...Woodcrest will murder the competition but they'll be expensive.
  • Reply 13 of 50
    kreshkresh Posts: 379member
    Quote:

Originally posted by AppleInsider

With Apple's engineering team hard pressed to meet an accelerated Intel transition schedule enforced by chief executive officer Steve Jobs, Intel is reportedly aiding Apple in the development of the first Intel-based Power Mac.
    [ View this article at AppleInsider.com ]

Oh GOD, not Intel's help. They stick integrated graphics in it for sure!
  • Reply 14 of 50
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:

Originally posted by AppleInsider

Intel is reportedly aiding Apple in the development of the first Intel-based Power Mac.
    [ View this article at AppleInsider.com ]

...umm, shouldn't that be MacTower?
  • Reply 15 of 50
    kim kap solkim kap sol Posts: 2,987member
    Quote:

Originally posted by SpamSandwich

...umm, shouldn't that be MacTower?

Or CoreMac...(kormac?).
  • Reply 16 of 50
    jimzipjimzip Posts: 446member
    Quote:

Originally posted by kim kap sol

Or CoreMac...(kormac?).

Or Macintosh-.. uh.. Macintel?

Heck I dunno anymore. They could call it Macintoilet and someone would buy it.

Jimzip
  • Reply 17 of 50
    whoamiwhoami Posts: 301member
    Quote:

Originally posted by kim kap sol

Or CoreMac...(kormac?).

that's funnier than making plastics.... i'd just call it "hardCore"!! lol
  • Reply 18 of 50
    2.66Ghz Conroe slaps the Athlon 64 X2 2.8Ghz around

PWN3D!

A %40 advantage in games and %30+ in media encoding just like that?? Yes we're about to see why Apple said "the hell with IBM"
  • Reply 19 of 50
    Check this out. Conroe has 128-Bit SSE

However, Conroe will also feature a new 128-bit SSE optimization that will allow all SSE instructions to be completed in a single cycle

My emphasis added. This will likely usurp Altivec as the premier SIMD implementation. Wow single cycle for all instructions. Apple's going to have a field day with this.

And this sound good as well

Furthermore, Rattner announced that Core architecture will have micro-ops fusion (already present on all modern Intel processors), but that the new architecture will also include macro-ops fusion. Essentially, macro-ops fusion takes multiple high level instructions, and combines them into a single instruction. For example a ?compare? and ?jump? instruction can be combined into a single operation.

Ok my next Mac after my mini "has" to have this core. This is the real deal here.
  • Reply 20 of 50
    leonisleonis Posts: 3,427member
    A very strong reason to hold any computer purchase until late this year or early next year