Apple struggles with MacBook Pro demand

Comments

• Reply 21 of 52
    jimzipjimzip Posts: 446member
    I still can't wait to get mine..

I demoed one in the store a couple of days ago, and really ran it through the ringer. Exporting H.264 from iMovie is fast.. I mean, this thing was playing HD 1080 and it converted to an iPod movie faster than I remember my G5 doing.. Which is really bizarre.

Everything else runs really well too, front row works beautifully, and this thing was base specs, I'm hoping to get some extra RAM in mine, and hopefully we'll have a long happy relationship!

Come on Apple! Ship those babies!

Jimzip
  • Reply 22 of 52
    cory bauercory bauer Posts: 1,286member
    I've been wondering about the MacBook Pro delays, the speed-bump, and how ThinkSecret managed to get everything so wrong about the Macworld Expo. Allow me to share a crazy and long-winded theory with absolutely no factual basis whatsoever:

1. As late as November, Apple's plans were to introduce an Intel-based iMac and Mac Mini alongside a movie download service, both shipping immediately at the Macworld Expo. MacBook Pro's were to be announced at the end of February.

2. In early December, it was apparent the movie service would not be ready due to content deals. At the same time, MacBook Pro's were closer to finalization than originally expected. It was decided that the Mac Mini should be held off until February or March, when content deals should be ready, and the Macbook Pro should be announced in it's place at the Macworld Expo.

3. iMacs and MacBook Pro's were announced at Macworld, with iMacs shipping within a week or two and MacBook Pro's shipping in February, production beginning in January.

4. Unexpected manufacturing or engineering issues delayed MacBook Pro production ramp-up well into February. Content deals weren't any closer to being ready for the movie service.

5. Come mid-February, since a single MacBook Pro had yet to be produced, it was decided to bump their processor speeds since faster chips were in ready supply from Intel now. In addition, Apple decided to go ahead with Mac Mini production without the movie content service, as it wasn't any closer to being ready.

6. Mac Mini's were introduced with the 1.67Ghz Core Duo chips originally ordered for the MacBook Pros.

7. The movie download service waits indefinitely for content deals.
  • Reply 23 of 52
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:

Originally posted by wilco

Are you referring to the high-pitched whine they make when the second processor kicks in?

Or the scream the user lets out when actually placing the hot laptop on his/his lap?

Or the scream in frustration when discovering that they're getting one AirPort bar, despite placing the laptop next to their wireless connection?

Is that what you were referring to?

IMO, the "retarded" ones are those who will pay $2k+ to be Apple's guinea pigs to test out the new laptops.

You obviously haven't read any of the reviews.

All of the higher speed laptops based on this chip are hot.

This machine has been shown, in all of the reviews that mentioned it, to have much better sensitivity to WiFi signals.

Every manufacturer using Core Duo chips is using their customers as guinea pigs.

Machine to equal machine, the price isn't high. At least not according to those who know what they are talking about.
  • Reply 24 of 52
    auxioauxio Posts: 2,727member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Booga

Apple gave him a ship date, changed it a couple times, then shipped machines to people that had ordered weeks after him before his machine. He cancelled the order, got a Core Duo from Dell with identical specs, a much bigger screen and the 4x dual-layer DVD burner for less money. And he received it three days after ordering.

hmm... Apple gave me a ship date, changed it once when they _upgraded_ my order (I'd like to see that from Dell), then shipped it to me 3 days ahead of the changed date.

i'd hate to end up with a WinDell just because i was impatient. i've got people literally lining up to buy my 5 year old Powerbook off me. and yes, it's one of those "bug-infested 1st gen" G4 Powerbooks.

in fact, i could barely use it because it was so buggy. it was so bad that the only uses i could find for it were to develop software, play MP3s to my stereo, play DVDs/videos to my TV, DJ, produce music, perform music live, develop websites, do graphic design and layout, play games, read email, and browse the web. it's surprising i can get anything for it at all...
  • Reply 25 of 52
    wilcowilco Posts: 985member
    Quote:

Originally posted by melgross

You obviously haven't read any of the reviews.

All of the higher speed laptops based on this chip are hot.

This machine has been shown, in all of the reviews that mentioned it, to have much better sensitivity to WiFi signals.

Every manufacturer using Core Duo chips is using their customers as guinea pigs.

Machine to equal machine, the price isn't high. At least not according to those who know what they are talking about.

Well, you're obviously unaware of the steady flow of complaints being documented at macintouch, and on the apple forums.

But why should anyone tell you anything, you obviously know what you're talking about.
  • Reply 26 of 52
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:

Well, you're obviously unaware of the steady flow of complaints being documented at macintouch, and on the apple forums.

But why should anyone tell you anything, you obviously know what you're talking about.

There are complaints about other manufacturers machines as well. but, you wouldn't care about that either.

You will always read about complaints on a site that is up for the specific purpose of having people post complaints. So, I'm not surprised. Until we hear of an unusual number of problems in the population as a whole, it means nothing. As you should know.
  • Reply 27 of 52
    m01etym01ety Posts: 278member
    Quote:

Complaints, on sites known for incessant bitching? Tell me it ain't so!

And, dear Wilco, newsflash: the wireless chip in the MBPs is tried-and-true Intel technology. Hype and marketing as the "Centrino" sub-brand may be, its wireless prowess is real and superior to Apple's previously used wireless tech.

Are certain people going to experience wireless issues on the MBPs? Of course. How is this different from a certain subset of people experiencing wireless issues with any model of computer?
  • Reply 28 of 52
    pyr3pyr3 Posts: 946member
    Quote:

Originally posted by auxio

hmm... Apple gave me a ship date, changed it once when they _upgraded_ my order (I'd like to see that from Dell), then shipped it to me 3 days ahead of the changed date.

i'd hate to end up with a WinDell just because i was impatient. i've got people literally lining up to buy my 5 year old Powerbook off me. and yes, it's one of those "bug-infested 1st gen" G4 Powerbooks.

in fact, i could barely use it because it was so buggy. it was so bad that the only uses i could find for it were to develop software, play MP3s to my stereo, play DVDs/videos to my TV, DJ, produce music, perform music live, develop websites, do graphic design and layout, play games, read email, and browse the web. it's surprising i can get anything for it at all...

Um, where do you find such people? I have a 3 year old powerbook that I want to get rid of at some point for a MBP and the best I can figure is to sell it for $500 on ebay or something... or just keep it.
  • Reply 29 of 52
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Tag Me Back

It's not shooting themselves in the foot. Like the article says, it's an excuse to hike up the prices. I'm not saying that it's deliberate, but I am saying that Apple finds it profitable.

I amnot so sure it isnt...Why the hell does it take apple three weeks to turn around a laptop that Dell can turn around in three days?
  • Reply 30 of 52
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:

Originally posted by filburt

It's 16:10 (1440/900 = 1.6).

That seems to be the current "official" widescreen for computers, if there ever was one. I never thought for a minute that there was one true widescreen standard, that's kind of asinine, and completely leaves out the 2.35:1 ratio used settled upon for cinemascope movies.
  • Reply 31 of 52
    doh123doh123 Posts: 323member
    Quote:

Originally posted by a_greer

I amnot so sure it isnt...Why the hell does it take apple three weeks to turn around a laptop that Dell can turn around in three days?

Because there isnt as much of a demand... its big honking ugly easy to produce machine...

Your acting like just because they both have the same processor, that somehow everything else is equal....
  • Reply 32 of 52
    doh123doh123 Posts: 323member
    Quote:

Are you referring to the high-pitched whine they make when the second processor kicks in?

Or the scream the user lets out when actually placing the hot laptop on his/his lap?

Or the scream in frustration when discovering that they're getting one AirPort bar, despite placing the laptop next to their wireless connection?

IMO, the "retarded" ones are those who will pay $2k+ to be Apple's guinea pigs to test out the new laptops.

second processor kicks in? who told you that? thats funny to even say... but anyways mine has no high pitched whine...

The bottom gets hot, sure, so did my PB G4, and so does my Dell Latitude... actually the Dell gets even hotter than my MacBook Pro.

I get great reception wirelessly on this, the range is great, not sure where you thinking its bad comes from...

I've found no problems with this thing at all yet, and the only time i can hear a high pitched whine noise is if i am in a very quite place and stick my ear down against the computer...
  • Reply 33 of 52
    boogabooga Posts: 1,082member
    Quote:

Originally posted by DeaPeaJay

It's impossible to get a dell with identical specs [from Dell] because there's no built in iSight, and it runs windows (which severely lowers the computer's value)

Not having the built-in iSight raises the value for some people. Some find it annoying or find it's illegal in their workplace.

As for Windows lowering a computer's value, that's obviously not true. It is true that MacOS X raises the value. But with all the coupons he was able to find on eBay and use, it literally cost almost half as much.

I probably still wouldn't have bought it myself, but if Apple wants to maintain their margins they MUST provide the buying experience people purchasing such an expensive item expect.
  • Reply 34 of 52
    akacakac Posts: 512member
    Quote:

Well we have one. It does whine and that's annoying, but it goes away when we start Photobooth, strange that. It is a bit hot, but no hotter than the AlBook that it replaced. And we get 4-5 airport bars upstairs, 3 rooms away with the doors closed. More in fact than my Dell XPS Gen 2 or than AlBook it replaced.
  • Reply 35 of 52
    auxioauxio Posts: 2,727member
    Quote:

Originally posted by pyr3

Um, where do you find such people?

Graphic design students, computer music students, musicians on a budget, etc. I guess I hang about with a lot of creative types, many of whom are on a budget, and Mac is the preferred platform for them.

I know a lot of musicians who hunt for particular revisions of G3 hardware combined with particular versions of the old Mac OS because they're known to be the most stable for music production tasks which don't require a lot of CPU power (eg. MIDI sequencing). Can't say I've ever heard the same for PC vintages...
  • Reply 36 of 52
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Zenga

Hey Placebo!!!

I thought you were turned over the "dark side" of the force.. What are you still doing here???

I'm talking to people about the Macbook Pro, what are you doing?
  • Reply 37 of 52
    gene cleangene clean Posts: 3,481member
    If they started with the 17" inch, which people would buy at lower quantities, and then move towards the 15" and smaller factors, they'd have no problems meeting the demand.

Alas this is Apple, they are 'Thinking Different'
  • Reply 38 of 52
    sjksjk Posts: 603member
    Quote:

Originally posted by DeaPeaJay

I can't afford AppleCare

You've got a year to afford it.
  • Reply 39 of 52
    Quote:

Originally posted by sjk

argeed, friend of mine bought an ibook last year and didnt want to spend more than £15 on a carry bag/rucksack i was shocked!!

me : so what percentage of £750 you paid for the iboook are you going to spend on SAFELY transporting it??

her : £15

Me : when spending £40 plus, and getting something that might well OUTLAST the ibook would be a better option in the long run?

her : mmmm i see

she ended up with a GREAT ruckack from Targus, in her favorite colour BLACK even holds her crotchet

and apple care is next on the list!
  • Reply 40 of 52
    deapeajaydeapeajay Posts: 909member
    Quote:

Originally posted by sjk

hmm, that's weird. On the MBP description page of the store it says it comes with a year of support, but then when you're checking out it says:

Quote:

AppleCare Protection Plan (APP)

The AppleCare Protection Plan extends your computer's 90 days of complimentary support and one-year warranty to up to three years of world-class support.

Learn more

\t? None

\t? AppleCare Protection Plan for MacBook Pro/PowerBook (w/or w/o Display) - Auto-enroll [Add $349] I was thinking it was 90 days of support.

Maybe they should change that.

So, if I spend 349 dollars right before my free year of support runs out, would that give an ADDITIONAL 3 years for a total of 4 years? Cause it says "up to" 3 years. so, maybe it would only give an additional 2 years.... anyone know?

EDIT: woops, I missed that part in red