Apple iTunes to sell monthly subscription to shows

Comments

• Reply 21 of 59
    dr_gonzodr_gonzo Posts: 16member
    Sounds ok to me. ATM digital TV in Ireland is terrible value for money. So many ads and so little content for such a high price! (Something like ?80 a month). The vast majority of the movies and the shows are re runs. In fact, any of the new shows I watch are on the free terrestrial channels.

I wouldn't mind paying a tenner for a season (I only watch about 3 shows regularly) and then just have my 10 or so free terrestrial channels. Of course, the quality of the video will have to improve if I'm gonna hook a Mac Mini up to a TV to watch these.

This is all waffle though 'cause the shows are still only available in the US

*goes back to bit torrent*
  • Reply 22 of 59
    gene cleangene clean Posts: 3,481member
    Quote:

Originally posted by CosmoNut

[B]This is NOT a subscription service.

You subcsribe for the next 15 shows.

Quote:

Read that sentence again.

Now you do the same.

Quote:

This is essentially paying for an "album" of shows. If you stop paying the $9.99 per month, you get to keep the ones you've already bought.

That's merely an issue of DRM and not the subscription model. You can subscribe to magazines, and you get to keep the magazines if you cancel your subscription after a year. Because Napster has a different DRM system in place, doesn't mean that this is not subscription.

Quote:

Read this entire post again until it sinks in.

No thanks. Got it the first time. It's even in the title.
  • Reply 23 of 59
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Gene, they're using 'subscription' differently than other digital media, and more like the traditional paper media use of the term. That's all. Confusing, yes, but not enough to get anyone's panties in a bunch over.

You pay a set amount for a 'boxed set' of episodes, that's all. Otherwise it has nothing to do with 'subscription' as used in the digital music realm.

Who tagged this a subscription, anyway? Apple PR, or reporting media? Bad call, that.
  • Reply 24 of 59
    xoolxool Posts: 2,460member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Xool

What if the download was subsidized but there was a sponsor?

Quote:

Originally posted by Chris Cuilla

Not sure what you mean here. Can you explain?

Like it's $.99 and at the very beginning and end is a 10 second blip like:

"The Daily Show is sponsored by Pyramid Brewery, go buy yourself one of our award winning beers today! Our Gold Medal winning Hefeweizen is an excellent choice! Tasy! Buy some Pyramid brew today!"
  • Reply 25 of 59
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Matthew Yohe

This is way too expensive though. At 10 bucks for almost a month, you are about halfway from paying your local cable company to add DVR service to your house

Or ALL the way to getting the much superior Tivo? (less the 49$ for the box)
  • Reply 26 of 59
    chris cuillachris cuilla Posts: 4,825member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Xool

Like it's $.99 and at the very beginning and end is a 10 second blip like:

"The Daily Show is sponsored by Pyramid Brewery, go buy yourself one of our award winning beers today! Our Gold Medal winning Hefeweizen is an excellent choice! Tasy! Buy some Pyramid brew today!"

Seems like a reasonable model. Might even be the best "middle ground" for a lot of customers.

On a related subject, I am little suprised we don't see this more often on broadcast TV. Could be the expense to the advertiser. It used to be a more common model early in TV and radio.
  • Reply 27 of 59
    Quote:

Originally posted by Thataboy

$10 a month for ONE show is absolutely preposterous!

Yes, but we do it all of the time...Look at HBO, I ordered it this week to watch the sopranos...if I get really lucky, there may be one good movie on there per month...if I am lucky.. There are lots of folks who order HBO this way, I know it is foolish, but it is the only legal way to get to see the end of the series that I got hooked on thanks to a "free HBO weekend" when they re-ran the pilot...but at least for my $12/Mo it is commercial free and uncut...

Think about PPV, people pay $35 for a 3hr wwf (or WWE or whatever they are this week) PPV, folks pay $50 for a boxing match, people pay friggen $300+ for NFL sunday ticket...And what really makes you wonder how silly people are is that ALL OF THESE PROGRAMS HAVE ADS!!

PPL will pay insain money for anything, Apple and Viacom realise this.
  • Reply 28 of 59
    flounderflounder Posts: 2,674member
    I'll give it a whirl for a month of the daily show (I don't have cable and do miss the daily show). Although I wish it and the colbert report were together as one $10/month package. That would be a nice value.
  • Reply 29 of 59
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    I just got digital cable for the first time, and something struck me... a *LOT* of the channels are dedicated for on-demand. I can sign up for the Anime-On-Demand channel for $6/mon, for instance. (I won't until I can see what their lineup is like, but still...)

And with that, I don't get to save it without going through the same VCR/DVR mambo that I have to do now for all my other channels.

I really do think this is the way the industry is going to go in the next few years.
  • Reply 30 of 59
    I just LOVE MultiPass.

• Reply 31 of 59
    rokrok Posts: 3,519member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Kickaha

Gene, they're using 'subscription' differently than other digital media, and more like the traditional paper media use of the term. That's all.

exactly, and a good comparison. If you subscribe to a year of a magazine for 12 issues, you aren't required to give back the issues at the end of the subscriptions, and they don't spontaneously burst into flames. But since they are dated materials, their usefulness can decrease rather rapidly, like how my 1997 Macworlds are ONLY useful for humor value at this point to see how bad our predictions of the future technology would be.
  • Reply 32 of 59
    andersanders Posts: 6,523member
    Quote:

Originally posted by European guy

I just LOVE MultiPass.

I love multipass possessors.

Why THE.FUCK. can´t Apple get their shows to an international audience. I would be the perfect customer for the Daily Show and Colbert Report subscription model. I cannot in any way buy myself to those two shows, they are simply not aired on any channel that are offered through sattelite or cabel here. Instead I am forced to write to the president of Comedy Central each day and ask for a legal copy of the show (since >I would not do anything illegal)

GET IN FUCKING GEAR APPLE.
  • Reply 33 of 59
    gregalexandergregalexander Posts: 1,400member
    Quote:

Originally posted by BRussell

I think the problem is that Apple is trying their best to retrofit the pricing structure of music downloads onto TV, but they really don't match. Right now, an hour or so of music on an album costs $10-$15, and download prices are roughly comparable to CDs. To download an hour TV show costs $1.99 - much cheaper than an album of music, despite being a much richer and denser medium. On the other hand, TV is usually "free" with advertising and your cable bill. And DVDs are roughly the same price as music albums. And 5 minute music video downloads are currently the same price as 45-minute shows.

The pricing structures just don't fit.

I think you make a good point. The only thing you didn't include was that you pay $2 for a TV show (much richer and deeper than a music album, yet cheaper) - but how many times do you watch that episode versus how many times do you listen to the album?

As an alternative model.... well I assume that right now, Apple could (technically) stream the Disney Channel on iTunes for a subscription price (how much does Disney get per subscriber per month to have their channel on DirecTV? <$2/mth?). But more likely, like a DVR, they could let you browse a week of Disney (next week, or last week, and choose what you want to watch (download) - giving you one week to watch it and it deletes (and if you try to watch it after 1 week, they offer you a $2 fee to "buy it!").

In fact, technically they could imitate an entire cable TV lineup for a cable TV subscription price - the only catch is that you select in advance what you want 'recorded' (like a DVR) and it downloads in the background. You have a month to watch, AND you can buy the episode for $2.

...... Instead of a cable box, I would rather have a MacMiniTV subscription via the net with a "1 month only" DVR built in.
  • Reply 34 of 59
    Quote:

Originally posted by Anders

Why THE.FUCK. can´t Apple get their shows to an international audience.

GET IN FUCKING GEAR APPLE.

I'll bet this is about the content providers, not Apple. I'm sure Apple would love to be selling to every market they possibly can.
  • Reply 35 of 59
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    Quote:

I'll bet this is about the content providers, not Apple. I'm sure Apple would love to be selling to every market they possibly can.

Exactly.
  • Reply 36 of 59
    andersanders Posts: 6,523member
    Quote:

Given Apples history of gradually release of their online offerings I am inclined to say they just aren´t pushing hard enough or they are not willing to use the resources to make the nessesary individual contracts to provide this. It might be harder to make deals covering 20+ markeds instead of just one. But they finally did exactly that with the music store...

What on earth could Comedy Central have against me buying the two shows? They don´t have any deals with any TV networks airing the shows here anyway.
  • Reply 37 of 59
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    Quote:

Originally posted by rok

...AND you get to retain the shows as .m4v files forever burned to disc,...

Not unless they're just file backups. You can't burn them to video DVD.
  • Reply 38 of 59
    Quote:

Given Apples history of gradually release of their online offerings I am inclined to say they just aren´t pushing hard enough or they are not willing to use the resources to make the nessesary individual contracts to provide this.

You are possibly right.

Quote:

But they finally did exactly that with the music store...

Key word here..."finally".

Quote:

What on earth could Comedy Central have against me buying the two shows? They don´t have any deals with any TV networks airing the shows here anyway.

You are asking me to apply reason and logic to an industry that seems largely devoid of it. Sorry...unable to compute.
  • Reply 39 of 59
    dean812dean812 Posts: 32member
    Geez all this talk of 30-45 dollar cable blls is making me feel bad with my 115 dollar satelite bill. I have Directv and get ALL channels they offer. But man, am I alone with my huge cable bill?

*Goes to computer and starts to change the cable package*
  • Reply 40 of 59
    Quote:

Originally posted by Dean812

Geez all this talk of 30-45 dollar cable blls is making me feel bad with my 115 dollar satelite bill. I have Directv and get ALL channels they offer. But man, am I alone with my huge cable bill?

*Goes to computer and starts to change the cable package*

Find 2 buddys and declair their basments your "vacation home" and "RV" or "boat" then split the bill 3 ways

Honestly though, I pay about $30 for cable, 35 for the net and a shitload of "franchise surcharge" and "service dependability fee" BS.