Apple iTunes to sell monthly subscription to shows

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 59
    gregalexandergregalexander Posts: 1,400member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Anders

What on earth could Comedy Central have against me buying the two shows? They don´t have any deals with any TV networks airing the shows here anyway.

I think that TV distributors will already be thinking about this.

So a company makes a new show which it hasn't sold to anyone (yet). Traditionally different groups might buy different rights (TV first run, TV repeats, cable run, DVD rental, DVD sales, And multiple international deals split similarly). Instead of that, they sell it direct (worldwide) via the internet (either themselves or through iTunes, Google, or all of the above), AND they sell it to all the traditional outlets.

For instance, NewsCorp/Fox just changed which channel in Australia they sell their new shows to. NewsCorp already owns 25% of our biggest PayTV provider, and have the biggest Newspaper business here - you can bet they'll have negotiated to sell their own shows online.
  • Reply 42 of 59
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    As far as I can make out, the "content owners" won't be happy until all recorded media are restructured as heavily DRMed ephemera.

You don't own anything, you have to pay every time you look or listen, nothing can be copied, shared, or modified, you have to watch any and all advertisements, and they can change the terms and pricing structure at a moments notice.

If you think I'm overstating the ambitions of the industry, you haven't been keeping track of the draconian legislation that a compliant Congress has been obediently churning out on their behalf.

I recently listened to an industry lawyer explain that it was actually illegal to avoid watching commercials, up to and including simply walking away from your television, because merely tuning in represented an implicit contract with the provider.

They've been driven completely mad with greed while technology and intense lobbying provide a tantalizing vision of a world of complete control and endless income streams.

Unless we can get some legislatures to stand up for consumers and fair use the future of media distribution in this country is going to get extremely gnarly.
  • Reply 43 of 59
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Kickaha

Which if you think about it is about $2/week either way.

Weekly show: $2

4x/week show: $2.50

Seems like they might be homing in on a price point for a package deal

What other shows are "Multipass"? For one, they don't say it is a month's worth of episodes, it is sixteen new episodes for the two shows noted, which is four week's worth.
  • Reply 44 of 59
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    I think the major part of the problem is not the content producers (production companies, musical artists) or the distribution mechanisms (stores, cable, radio)... it is the middle-men. The networks are no longer the distribution mechanism they once were, they are brands on cable, for instance. They are, in fact, increasingly irrelevant.

And guess where the ads come in? That irrelevant portion.

You're damned right this scares the hell out of them, and it sucks that they are reverting to legal movements to secure economic markets for themselves when market forces would make them just go away in a few years... what's worse is that a lot of politicians are being bought off left and right. Orrin Hatch, I'm looking in your direction.
  • Reply 45 of 59
    Quote:

Originally posted by JeffDM

What other shows are "Multipass"? For one, they don't say it is a month's worth of episodes, it is sixteen new episodes for the two shows noted, which is four week's worth.

Yes, just shy of the 4.2 weeks average per month.

The point was that, roughly, at $10/mon, you can get the shows you care about, ala carte, regardless if they are once a week, or 4x a week.
  • Reply 46 of 59
    adpowersadpowers Posts: 188member
    Why is the Daily Show encoded incorrectly? I see no mention of this anywhere, but if you like at TDS and The Colbert Report, they are both stretched out and their heads look too wide. I've blogged about this because I've seen no one mention it and I want to spread the word so it'll be fixed and I can start buying the episodes with a Multi-Pass (and for every day it isn't fixed, that is another day I won't buy an episode, since you can't buy past episodes with a Multi-Pass).

As a demonstration, the top image was taken from online slip of last night's episode and the bottom is the copy on iTMS. Notice the distinct head shape difference.

Andrew
  • Reply 47 of 59
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Quote:

Originally posted by adpowers

Why is the Daily Show encoded incorrectly? I see no mention of this anywhere, but if you like at TDS and The Colbert Report, they are both stretched out and their heads look too wide. I've blogged about this because I've seen no one mention it and I want to spread the word so it'll be fixed and I can start buying the episodes with a Multi-Pass (and for every day it isn't fixed, that is another day I won't buy an episode, since you can't buy past episodes with a Multi-Pass).

As a demonstration, the top image was taken from online slip of last night's episode and the bottom is the copy on iTMS. Notice the distinct head shape difference.

Andrew

I dl'd an episode because that interested me: looks like Apple is streching it to fit the native res of Video ipod...
  • Reply 48 of 59
    adpowersadpowers Posts: 188member
    Does this video play funny on an iPod? Either way, I don't have a 5G iPod and even if I did, I'd do most of my TV show watching on the computer, so that isn't a very good excuse (note: I'm not attacking you).

Man, I wish I had connection so I could just call up Apple HQ and be connected to the iTunes team directly... none of this 72 hours crap.
  • Reply 49 of 59
    Quote:

Yes, just shy of the 4.2 weeks average per month.

The point was that, roughly, at $10/mon, you can get the shows you care about, ala carte, regardless if they are once a week, or 4x a week.

I thought your point was that it costed more to subscribe to a month of a weekly show than it would to buy the individual shows.
  • Reply 50 of 59
    Quote:

Originally posted by a_greer

I dl'd an episode because that interested me: looks like Apple is streching it to fit the native res of Video ipod...

How does that claim work? I thought 5G was a 4:3 screen and that the show was in 4:3 as well. I think someone in the video conversion room screwed up, maybe using the conversion settings of a widescreen show on a show that isn't widescreen that I'm aware of.
  • Reply 51 of 59
    cory bauercory bauer Posts: 1,286member
    Hey adpowers, strange that we're both posting in two places together

The video indeed does not fill the iPod screen. To fill it correctly, it would have to be 320x240, which is a 4:3 aspect. Videos I have encoded myself for the iPod are 320x240 and fill the screen correctly. This first episode of The Daily Show on the iTMS is 320x208. I don't know how they ended up with that odd size. It's most certainly a mistake. If they're trying to deliver content halfway between 4:3 and 16:9, they should crop the edges, not squish it.
  • Reply 52 of 59
    sjksjk Posts: 603member
    Quote:

If you think about it, the current music 'subscription' systems are more like lending libraries. You listen to it, but you don't get to keep it.

Yeah, I was recently thinking about that analogy. Of course you're paying to borrow from the "music library" with a subscription service and we all know how some people feel about that idea.
  • Reply 53 of 59
    I might jump at this but it's still $10 a month, $120 a year for one show. I can't get the Daily Show in Taiwan so I might try and get this for a month and see how it goes. I wonder how it will look on my 32" LCD TV though?
  • Reply 54 of 59
    zoranszorans Posts: 187member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Xool

I'm glad this new feature and this content (Daily Show, Colbert Report) are on iTunes. Bout time!

Now if only Apple would do some Multi-Pass commercials with Milla Jovovich!

ROFLMAO!

I was thinking the same thing.

Lilu Dallas Multi-Pass
  • Reply 55 of 59
    louzerlouzer Posts: 1,054member
    Quote:

Originally posted by JeffDM

I seriously doubt its really 16 NEW episodes, because they don't do 16 episodes a month now. Every month they're off like one week. So where's that extra 4 NEW shows coming from? Are you paying for stuff over and over? Are they going to be listing stuff from 2002? Questions, questions, questions.

Just don't be reading stuff into things because someone says "new". It could be a typo for all we know.
  • Reply 56 of 59
    Quote:

Originally posted by Louzer

I seriously doubt its really 16 NEW episodes, because they don't do 16 episodes a month now. Every month they're off like one week. So where's that extra 4 NEW shows coming from? Are you paying for stuff over and over? Are they going to be listing stuff from 2002? Questions, questions, questions.

Just don't be reading stuff into things because someone says "new". It could be a typo for all we know.

Sigh. Don't be reading stuff into things because someone says "month". Nowhere in the Daily Show or Colbert Report description does it say the word "month". iTunes says the next 16 new episodes, or the most recent + the next 15 new episodes. I don't understand where people get "month" from, other than Reuter's and AppleInsider's amazingly poor interpretation of the numbers. If "new" is a typo on iTunes' part, then that's misrepresentation of their service.
  • Reply 57 of 59
    Yeah, good point - my use of the word 'month' was strictly for trying to compare # of eps over the course of a regular season episode broadcast stretch. Didn't mean to confuse anyone.
  • Reply 58 of 59
    rokrok Posts: 3,519member
    my use of month was my guess as to how many new episodes they probably have in a single month (three weeks on at four episodes a week... aren't they still off fridays? and a week of re-runs). so i was just guessing that a multi-pass would get you about a month's "worth" of new episodes.
  • Reply 59 of 59
    Quote:

Yeah, good point - my use of the word 'month' was strictly for trying to compare # of eps over the course of a regular season episode broadcast stretch. Didn't mean to confuse anyone.

I think I was too harsh. The AppleInsider headline text is on the dubious side though, as someone noted, there are periods of breaks for re-runs and such. With the wording in the iTunes store, I sure hope Apple doesn't resort to serving up duplicates when an episode is re-run.

For me, this is just a hypothetical exercise as I don't intend to get a "Multi-Pass" of these shows, I like them but I record them for free with my Comedy Central subscription.