Microsoft delays launch of Windows Vista

Comments

• Reply 61 of 82
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    I can't see Apple making a device that will have a rear like a component receiver. Apple's device would have at the most two connections HDMI and Digital Audio.

Many US digital television standards are in flux. Digital transmission, Cable Card, DRM, as well and Blu-Ray vs HD-DVD, and the list goes on.

Apple would also face sure and entrenched competition in Media Center, Tivo, cable/satalite DVR. And the fact that networks are exploring ways to keep DVR's from recording some shows. Along Apple establishing relationships to build iTunes.

I agree with Apple playing it safe, the whole situation is a mess right now.
  • Reply 62 of 82
    ibuzzibuzz Posts: 135member
    Quote:

Originally posted by TenoBell

I agree with Apple playing it safe, the whole situation is a mess right now.

The problem is, it's been a mess for a very long time, with no sign of getting any better. Everyone wants to be the defacto standard in the nitch. As much as I hate government intervention, I think there is a place for standards.
  • Reply 63 of 82
    macgregormacgregor Posts: 1,434member
    Quote:

Originally posted by backtomac

Power Macs are expected to come ouyt in the fall. Adobe plans to release CS3 in the q2 of 2007. Thats close to a one year spread. If you use CS3 why would you buy a new PM?

My point is that if you buy a G5 this summer it will run CS3 just fine for another year. If you don't need to upgrade this year, what is an extra few months? How many shops or free-lancers need to upgrade EVERY YEAR?
  • Reply 64 of 82
    macgregormacgregor Posts: 1,434member
    Quote:

Originally posted by TenoBell

An ironic aside to the DVR discussion. Media Center is rumored to be part of Vista's delay.

Marketing Manager of Acer Australia as saying 'The decision to delay Vista into the consumer market will have an impact on hardware sales particularly in the Media Centre market. We have been told that Microsoft has bought in programmers from the Xbox team to work on the problems.

I think that sums everything up right there. The XBox team ... the people focused on one product ... the people who don't have legacy issues ... the ones farthest from the core of the beast. Innovation happens at the perifery and Apple has somehow over the decades kept itself in the virtual perifery in many ways. And all they ask is for 10% more of a markup. We can still live with that!

Has anyone ever actually asked consumers whether they really want their media center to be run by Windows anyway?!!?!?
  • Reply 65 of 82
    frank777frank777 Posts: 5,839member
    Quote:

Originally posted by MacGregor

My point is that if you buy a G5 this summer it will run CS3 just fine for another year. If you don't need to upgrade this year, what is an extra few months? How many shops or free-lancers need to upgrade EVERY YEAR?

I think the problem is that another big upgrade cycle is upon us.

Many of us (non-Photoshop) pros bought Sawtooth machines four to five years ago and the useful life of those models is now up.

I have a 400mhz G4 in which everything - including the processor - was upgraded over its lifetime. This machine can go no further, and I plan to buy a second revision MacTower as soon as it's out.

I switched to InDesign sometime ago, but I'd switch again to Quark if it was much faster and competed well on features.

The biggest problem will be that Photoshop has no real competition. If a product showed up with the ability to handle CMYK colour well, layers, text, crop, resize and maybe a couple other features, this would be a completely different ball game for Adobe.
  • Reply 66 of 82
    sunilramansunilraman Posts: 8,133member
    The biggest problem for all people that do creative work is that we have landed right in one big ass monopoly with the worst aspects of any monopoly. And it happened right under our noses. Corel had a shot but that faded quickly. Quark had a shot but that kinda just got jacked up for whatever reason. Frontpage, well, just churned out rubbish and was never even one light year close to Dreamweaver. Flash exploded worldwide and took the web by storm and still dominates as the de facto compact distributable web and cdrom multimedia format.

And so we are now trapped by the monopoly that is Adobe/Macromedia. And like I said before, with regards to the Intel transition, this leaves Apple standing in a deep creek with a paddle up it's ass.

I'm actually now hella pissed with Adobe buying Macromedia. Because I know in my heart Macromedia would deliver crossgrade Flash and Dreamweaver (and let's not forget Freehand) Universal Binaries by June 2006 LATEST. There is a lot of love at Macromedia for Apple and I *know* in my heart they would only let Apple flap in the wind for 2 quarters with having to run Flash and Dreamweaver in Rosetta. 2 quarters max. Not fucking over a year because Adobe is going to deliver some fan-fucking-tabulous "CS3 integrated AdobeMedia package".
  • Reply 67 of 82
    Quote:

Originally posted by sunilraman

The biggest problem for all people that do creative work is that we have landed right in one big ass monopoly with the worst aspects of any monopoly. And it happened right under our noses. Corel had a shot but that faded quickly. Quark had a shot but that kinda just got jacked up for whatever reason. Frontpage, well, just churned out rubbish and was never even one light year close to Dreamweaver. Flash exploded worldwide and took the web by storm and still dominates as the de facto compact distributable web and cdrom multimedia format.

And so we are now trapped by the monopoly that is Adobe/Macromedia. And like I said before, with regards to the Intel transition, this leaves Apple standing in a deep creek with a paddle up it's ass.

I'm actually now hella pissed with Adobe buying Macromedia. Because I know in my heart Macromedia would deliver crossgrade Flash and Dreamweaver (and let's not forget Freehand) Universal Binaries by June 2006 LATEST. There is a lot of love at Macromedia for Apple and I *know* in my heart they would only let Apple flap in the wind for 2 quarters with having to run Flash and Dreamweaver in Rosetta. 2 quarters max. Not fucking over a year because Adobe is going to deliver some fan-fucking-tabulous "CS3 integrated AdobeMedia package".

Are you kidding? Flash player was ridiculously slow on Macs and Flash the tool was terribly buggy. Macromedia didn't give a shit about Macintosh and it showed.
  • Reply 68 of 82
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    So how late is Vista now? When was "Longhorn" originally supposed to be released? It seems like this has been going on since OS X first came out.
  • Reply 69 of 82
    Originally posted by gregmightdothat

Are you kidding? Flash player was ridiculously slow on Macs and Flash the tool was terribly buggy. Macromedia didn't give a shit about Macintosh and it showed.

Hmm... You may be right. Maybe I'm just pissed in general how creatives that use Macs are essentially held to ransom by Adobe|Macromedia. Again, as a result of a monopoly of tools that get the job done as needed, but a monopoly nonetheless.
  • Reply 70 of 82
    Originally posted by CosmoNut

So how late is Vista now? When was "Longhorn" originally supposed to be released? It seems like this has been going on since OS X first came out.

Vista due January 2007 is the latest news.

http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,1759,1943119,00.asp

Can you believe "Longhorn" was intended to be released as far back as 2004?

http://www.computerworld.com/softwar...,75099,00.html

"Weed said the focus is "all about Longhorn" and "how to get the best Longhorn release we can get." He noted that it's difficult to pinpoint a ship date for Longhorn "because of how far away it is." But he said he can "at least give people some comfort level" that they're not going to see something until the middle of 2004 at the earliest.

During a keynote speech at last week's Gartner Symposium/ITxpo here, Microsoft CEO Steve Ballmer said only that a new Windows release is coming during the next three years. At other times, Microsoft executives have made vague statements that Longhorn is years away.

Corporate IT professionals hoping to do some long-term planning for the next major Windows release got no definitive answers at ITxpo. Analysts gave the Longhorn client operating system a 50% probability of shipping in the first half of 2005 (40% in the second half of 2004), and they projected that the Longhorn server operating system won't hit the market until 2006."

http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase...eview_2004.asp

"It has not been a kind year for Longhorn. Awash as it is in ever-increasing delays, Longhorn has been the subject of barbs from even the most dimmed-minded computer industry columnists, many of whom have begun comparing the Longhorn release to Cairo, Microsoft's aborted mid-1990's object-oriented OS project. And no wonder: Like Cario, Longhorn was to have included the technological equivalent of the kitchen sink, and then some. Clearly, something in Longhorn had to give.

It will never ship. No Microsoft product has ever been delayed as much as Longhorn, and as its ship date slipped from 2004 to 2005 to 2006 and even, according to some rumors, to 2007, Longhorn became less exciting to users and more the object of ridicule."
  • Reply 71 of 82
    Why, it borders on irresponsible, doesn't it?
  • Reply 72 of 82
    It borders on fracking insane. WTF sort of company is it and WTF is it doing? But the weird thing is that people are happily going along on WinXP2, WinXP-64bit (much cleaner code base) and WinServer2003.

Who needs a new operating system?? Those crazy Apple people, churning out operating systems like there's no tomorrow.
  • Reply 73 of 82
    This Vista delay makes me think that it's GOOD that Apple has such low market share. It almost seems like Microsoft can't release OS updates nearly as fast as Apple because of how massive the user base actually is. It's like the difference between the turning radius of a Mini Cooper and that of a tour bus. The sheer size is a hindrance in many respects.
  • Reply 74 of 82
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    Reminds me of Rhapsody. Maybe they'll um...buy Sun and use the Solaris code base.

I doubt it will be out by Jan 2007. Probably mid to late 2007. By the time 10.6 comes out or is about to come out.
  • Reply 75 of 82
    Just something random: I believe that the Xbox developer's kit is a PowerMac tower. Not positive but, pretty sure.
  • Reply 76 of 82
    Quote:

Originally posted by sunilraman

But think about how good an operating system must be that it can last for at least 6 years (win2000) or even more ( win98 ) !!!

Because Microsoft supplies the majority of the worlds PCs, it hasto last. That doesn't nessisarily make it good.
  • Reply 77 of 82
    Quote:

Originally posted by Destyrabbs23

Just something random: I believe that the Xbox developer's kit is a PowerMac tower. Not positive but, pretty sure.

XBOX360 developer kits were all PowerMac G5 towers
  • Reply 78 of 82
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Aquatic

Reminds me of Rhapsody. Maybe they'll um...buy Sun and use the Solaris code base.

I doubt it will be out by Jan 2007. Probably mid to late 2007. By the time 10.6 comes out or is about to come out.

Really seems similar, doesn't it?

Here's where MS being the big dog doesn't help-- their huge installed base and backward compatibility requirements make it much harder, if not impossible, to break with the past and start with a clean slate (or, um, bought slate). They got to drag all those PCs behind them.

They can't very well throw up their hands and say "Fuck it, it's not worth fixing, we're starting over with a new, more modern code base. We figure all your massively deployed, mission critical software will run OK in our spiffy Windows emulation layer".

How crafty of Apple to maintain a small market share so that inertia isn't such a problem as they careen wildly through the curves!
  • Reply 79 of 82
    ipeonipeon Posts: 1,122member
    Quote:

Originally posted by CosmoNut

This Vista delay makes me think that it's GOOD that Apple has such low market share. It almost seems like Microsoft can't release OS updates nearly as fast as Apple because of how massive the user base actually is. It's like the difference between the turning radius of a Mini Cooper and that of a tour bus. The sheer size is a hindrance in many respects.

Vista isn't being delayed because of MS's market share. It's something else trust me.
  • Reply 80 of 82
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Oops. iPeon's quoting of Cosmonut's previous post causes me to notice that he had already pretty much said what I just posted.

Jesus. I can't believe I typed that.