Vista delays have Microsoft employees calling for changes

Comments

• Reply 21 of 48
    gene cleangene clean Posts: 3,481member
    Quote:

Originally posted by iPeon

That's even funnier than MS saying they invented Windows.

Talk to SUN about it: they won't find it as funny as you do, I'm sure.
  • Reply 22 of 48
    auxioauxio Posts: 2,728member
    Quote:

Originally posted by zizone

Please don't fire Steve Ballmer, we love his keynote!

The most ridiculous part is that if you watch closely at around 21 seconds, you can see that he actually hurts his leg and shrieks in pain, yet still keeps going.

Here's a nice little collection of Ballmer videos:

http://www.ntk.net/ballmer/mirrors.html

The music video at the bottom is hilarious. I showed it to my wife a while back and now I can't talk about software developers without her breaking into the developers chant.
  • Reply 23 of 48
    auxioauxio Posts: 2,728member
    Quote:

That's even funnier than MS saying they invented Windows.

Yes, the open source ideals have been there for as long as people have been writing computer programs. But it took Linux to bring them from academia to prime time news. And seeing the success with Linux has prompted rethinking other areas such as education and medicine. So yes, certainly some credit goes to Linus and the momentum he unknowingly (at the time) got rolling.

I personally think it only works in areas where people are already volunteering time and effort (ie. where people have a genuine interest apart from making a living). But then, those are usually some of the most important areas (humanitarian-wise) anyways.
  • Reply 24 of 48
    splinemodelsplinemodel Posts: 7,311member
    Quote:

Originally posted by auxio

Yes, the open source ideals have been there for as long as people have been writing computer programs. But it took Linux to bring them from academia to prime time news. And seeing the success with Linux has prompted rethinking . . .

Bingo. . .

And Xerox invented the GUI

And Aldus invented DTP

And open source software has always been around.

Face it, it's not always the first-comer that ends up making things really happen.
  • Reply 25 of 48
    Quote:

Originally posted by Splinemodel

Bingo. . .

And Xerox invented the GUI

Xerox invented the technology, but Apple implemented it in a good way, Xerox saw that and some people left Xerox to go work at Apple. So Apple was the first with a good IMPLEMENTATION of the gui.
  • Reply 26 of 48
    splinemodelsplinemodel Posts: 7,311member
    Linux was the first, good implementation of an open source, unix-based desktop operating system.

Go Figure. I tell you one thing, though: hardly anyone has ever heard of Minix, and these days almost every house has something in it running Linux. I'd argue that there are vastly more installations of Linux that there are of Windows -- just not necessarily on the desktop.
  • Reply 27 of 48
    ipeonipeon Posts: 1,122member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Gene Clean

Talk to SUN about it: they won't find it as funny as you do, I'm sure.

Yes, I find it funny. Closed-source this, open source that, proprietary this, proprietary that... These methods of existence don't compete with each other. They can coexist very nicely all in the same market. A product isn't better than the other just because one is open source and the other isn't. Lets get the right "why" straight.

Yes, we are at the of an era with regards to MS, but the one who is killing MS is MS itself and no one else.
  • Reply 28 of 48
    andersanders Posts: 6,523member
    Quote:

Originally posted by DeaPeaJay

Xerox invented the technology, but Apple implemented it in a good way, Xerox saw that and some people left Xerox to go work at Apple. So Apple was the first with a good IMPLEMENTATION of the gui.

And MS was the first that made a general popular implementation of the GUI.

Between Englebart's "Mother of all demos", Xeroxs implementation of the ideas and introduction of the key concepts like the desk top metaphor, folders aso, Apple taking it to the marked and MS making it the de facto standard of human/machine interaction Apple probably played the smaller role.
  • Reply 29 of 48
    ipeonipeon Posts: 1,122member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Anders

Between Englebart's "Mother of all demos", Xeroxs implementation of the ideas and introduction of the key concepts like the desk top metaphor, folders aso, Apple taking it to the marked and MS making it the de facto standard of human/machine interaction Apple probably played the smaller role.

Ya, and my mother isn't really my mother because she got her genes from her mother and...
  • Reply 30 of 48
    andersanders Posts: 6,523member
    Quote:

Ya, and my mother isn't really my mother because she got her genes from her mother and...

So you are saying your grandmother is your real mother? The popularity of Windows is what made the GUI what it is today.
  • Reply 31 of 48
    dacloodacloo Posts: 890member
    I doubt about the form of journalistics here.

There are lots of news items about Microsoft on this website (negative items). Basicly the same message "Vista is late" is repeated over and over again.

This way the reader changes his view: Apple is heroic, Microsoft is bad. I think Windows Vista will be a very nice operating system, yes they've stolen a lot from MacOS, but let's not forget Microsoft is in a much more difficult position. They have to support a much broader user base. It's a huge company and that comes with problems, like mentioned in this article.
  • Reply 32 of 48
    gene cleangene clean Posts: 3,481member
    Quote:

[B]Yes, I find it funny. Closed-source this, open source that, proprietary this, proprietary that... These methods of existence don't compete with each other.

Maybe you should start reading some tech news then.

Quote:

They can coexist very nicely all in the same market.

Not before they compete each other to the point of reaching that equilibrium. Products don't just find their niche the first day they're announced. They compete, sometimes for years (decades) until they find one niche market that they can call "their own". Only then does coexistence become a reality; Apple vs. Microsoft, for example. Apple has a niche and that niche will always bring money to Apple. Microsoft has the bigger share and they coexist just fine, to the point of Microsoft porting their software to the Mac, but not Linux.

Why not Linux? Because they see it as a direct threat to their status and business. And because they see it as such, they sponsor all these "studies" (Get the Facts campaign) to spread FUD about Linux. When's the last time they sponsored such "studies" about OS X?

Quote:

A product isn't better than the other just because one is open source and the other isn't.

It isn't necessarily better, but as is widely known, "given enough eyeballs, all bugs are shallow."

These days open source software is present in every area of life, more so than Windows or anything else. TiVO? Check. Oracle? Check. MySQL? Check. Firefox? Check. These are apps that either dominate their markets, or are going head to head with the competition (Firefox vs. IE for example).

An open source project will not be necessarily better or more widely used (GIMP vs. Photoshop), but the concept of having 2000 people review the code, contribute patches to it, and evangelize it as opposed to 20 who do it because they're required to do it, is not a concept that is inferior to the commercial model.

Quote:

Lets get the right "why" straight.

I don't think you've established the right "why".

Quote:

Yes, we are at the of an era with regards to MS, but the one who is killing MS is MS itself and no one else.

While there are internal problems at Microsoft, and many of them translate to poor software, one cannot say that MS is killing itself without giving some of the credit to their direct competitors.
  • Reply 33 of 48
    vox barbaravox barbara Posts: 2,021member
    Quote:

I can't believe it. This is a funky mock-up with

underpaid hollywood stand-ins, is it not?
  • Reply 34 of 48
    Quote:

A filthy rich slug on steroids; priceless.

Apple should link to this as their 11th reason to Switch: Look what using Windows (aka Mindblows) doees to you!

A mispelling lead me to this "new" iPod ad:

http://www.macboy.com/cartoons/ballmer/
  • Reply 35 of 48
    kim kap solkim kap sol Posts: 2,987member
    This is Apple's chance to strike big.

Vista...codename Longh... Copland.
  • Reply 36 of 48
    sunilramansunilraman Posts: 8,133member
    Originally posted by Vox Barbara

I can't believe it. This is a funky mock-up with

underpaid hollywood stand-ins, is it not?

hah ha ha ha ha hi voxy it's true, it's real. that really is Steve Ballmer search around the 'net. it's not made up.

DEVELOPERS DEVELOPERS DEVELOPERS

• Reply 37 of 48
    sunilramansunilraman Posts: 8,133member
    Voxy don't forget to check this out http://www.macboy.com/cartoons/ballmer/ now that you've seen the keynote video.

• Reply 38 of 48
    deapeajaydeapeajay Posts: 909member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Anders

MS made it the de facto standard of human/machine interaction because they stole the GUI concepts that Apple innovated.

It's all speculation really. Who got what idea from who and when? But IMHO, I think that today's GUI standards would be very different today had Apple not been a player, as evidenced by the fact that Apple STILL holds the bar that all others strive to.
  • Reply 39 of 48
    vox barbaravox barbara Posts: 2,021member
    Quote:

Originally posted by sunilraman

Voxy don't forget to check this out http://www.macboy.com/cartoons/ballmer/ now that you've seen the keynote video.

Jesus Christ, an' now who is paying my keyboard,

which i just cracked with my forehead?

[Well i ever thought S.Js distortion field is barely

acceptable... but ... blow me...]

Btw what is S.BallMer. doing for a living?
  • Reply 40 of 48
    *Snaps a crisp salute at the MS employees that said those quotes*

You guys really don't have to put up with it, you can work somewhere that'll respect your abilities...

http://www.apple.com/jobs/

^_^