Apple's Intel Aperture 1.1 Update pushed back

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
You win some, you lose some -- So far Apple Computer is one-for-two when it comes to meeting a self-imposed deadline on updating its Pro software applications to run on its new Intel Macs, as tipsters report the Aperture 1.1 Universal update has slipped by a couple of weeks.

The update to Apple's new professional photography workflow application will offer improved RAW image quality, RAW fine tuning, auto noise compression, a new color meter, enhanced export controls, and dozens of other improvements. But most importantly, it will unleash the software on the company's existing and forthcoming Intel-based system.

Apple had previously told customers the Aperture 1.1 Update would be made available in "March," but informed tipsters now say the release has slipped to "the middle of April." The PowerPC version of the software has been a hit with professionals, as analysts reported "surprisingly strong" sales during the first month it went on sale.

Although Aperture is a relatively new product -- announced in October with the first shipments in November -- Apple chose not to defer its release in favor of adding native Intel support. The company is facing off against Adobe Systems, who in January introduced a similar piece of software dubbed "LightRoom," which was designed to lure back its professional audience. LightRoom, however, is still in pre-release condition.

Interestingly, fillings seen by AppleInsider suggests Apple initially had thoughts of naming its Aperture software "LightTable." On a similar account, it also contemplated renaming its Rendezvous technology "Aloha," later settling on "Bonjour."

Comments

• Reply 1 of 111
    tednditedndi Posts: 1,921member
    Slipped by a few weeks....

ARGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Reply 2 of 111
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    Perhaps Melgross is right. Maybe we should see how fast Apple release it's universal apps before 'throwing stones' at Adobe.
  • Reply 3 of 111
    bikertwinbikertwin Posts: 566member
    Quote:

Originally posted by backtomac

Perhaps Melgross is right. Maybe we should see how fast Apple release it's universal apps before 'throwing stones' at Adobe.

Grow up people. It's a couple of weeks' delay, not 2nd quarter 2007 or anything.

Sheesh.
  • Reply 4 of 111
    kim kap solkim kap sol Posts: 2,987member
    And as far as I can tell, 95% of Apple's apps are already UB'd.

Which app isn't UB yet besides Aperture?
  • Reply 5 of 111
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:

Originally posted by kim kap sol

Final Cut Express, and Shake. No date for the Universal updates have been given.
  • Reply 6 of 111
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    Quote:

AppleWorks

Yeah, I know.
  • Reply 7 of 111
    chrisgchrisg Posts: 239member
    Apple Remote Desktop isn't yet, however there are tricks to get it to run using Rosseta.
  • Reply 8 of 111
    Quote:

I don't think Shake is UB already...
  • Reply 9 of 111
    Yup! Big, difficult programs, or unimportant ones, aren't going to be updated any faster by Apple, then they could, or would have been, if they were from anyone else.

No one should think otherwise.
  • Reply 10 of 111
    It's interesting how some third party big, complex programs were Intelized faster than Apple managed, for example CInema 4D.

Anyway, Aperture should now be out mid-April, so it's another 2 weeks.
  • Reply 11 of 111
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ChrisG

Apple Remote Desktop isn't yet, however there are tricks to get it to run using Rosseta.

It should be updated when OS X Server is Universal.
  • Reply 12 of 111
    Quote:

Originally posted by Project2501

I don't think Shake is UB already...

Hmmm...my bad. I had seen a few articles about Shake on Intel a few weeks back and how performance was much better on Intel-based Macs and assumed it was released.

I don't think the complexities (or simplicities) of creating an Intel binary (or UB) is what is holding Shake and Aperture back though...I think they're just generally squashing bugs and adding more features...a very normal procedure if you ask me. No sense in releasing something (even a UB) if loose ends aren't tied yet.
  • Reply 13 of 111
    jasongjasong Posts: 31member
    Hmmm . . . maybe the problem isn't with the universalization of the application . . . maybe it's an issue with the dozens (hundreds) of other changes to the program. But hey, any excuse to complain, right?
  • Reply 14 of 111
    xoolxool Posts: 2,460member
    Quote:

I don't think the complexities (or simplicities) of creating an Intel binary (or UB) is what is holding Shake and Aperture back though...I think they're just generally squashing bugs and adding more features...a very normal procedure if you ask me. No sense in releasing something (even a UB) if loose ends aren't tied yet.

Sounds right to me. I haven't used either of these apps personally (sad!) but perhaps they could also be tied up due to plugin issues?
  • Reply 15 of 111
    Quote:

Originally posted by jasong

Hmmm . . . maybe the problem isn't with the universalization of the application . . . maybe it's an issue with the dozens (hundreds) of other changes to the program. But hey, any excuse to complain, right?

Well, to put a more positive spin on that idea...

Aperture isn't just being UB'ed the way that FC Studio is. It's actually being updated to a new version with new features, and it's highly dependent on OS X 10.4.6 features (raw versioning, Nikon D200 support).
  • Reply 16 of 111
    Why is it that some of you guys are willing to give Apple leeway, but not Adobe?

If anything, it should be the other way around. At least Adobe gave us a timeline, and let us know that it will be a new version with many new features.

Apple has said nothing.
  • Reply 17 of 111
    bigbluebigblue Posts: 341member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Robin Hood

It's interesting how some third party big, complex programs were Intelized faster than Apple managed, for example CInema 4D.

I read somewhere that Maxon uses some very lean and mean coding for Cinema4D. They use for 95% the same codebase for Mac/PC, wich saves them a lot of time. They're just very efficient.

Well ... they're Germans

(and no, I'm not German)
  • Reply 18 of 111
    jasongjasong Posts: 31member
    Quote:

Originally posted by melgross

Why is it that some of you guys are willing to give Apple leeway, but not Adobe?

If anything, it should be the other way around. At least Adobe gave us a timeline, and let us know that it will be a new version with many new features.

Apple has said nothing.

Apple did give a timeline, They said March, and the discussion here is because they just announced it was slipping into mid-April. The issue people have with Adobe and MS (unfair and unfounded as it may be) is with the length of their timeline.
  • Reply 19 of 111
    Quote:

Apple has said nothing.

Mostly because Adobe apps will be a year late vs a month late and will set you back 300-500$ rather than 50-100$ (or free in the case of Aperture).

Also...Apple hasn't complained about the whole deal. Only Adobe and MS have complained so far. For all we know, making a Universal Binary of these Pro apps wasn't a huge deal for Apple...the reasons for being late might simply be 1. completing features 2. squashing bugs.

'course, Apple would never complain about UBing an app because it would look rather bad on their part but...lets face the reality, all of these apps will be UB within the next month.

Heck, like I said, Shake was being demoed early March on Intel-based Macs...so, it's already UB...just not released. And I think I heard something similar about Aperture. So it's no unreasonable to conclude that UBing wasn't Apple biggest problems.
  • Reply 20 of 111
    aplnubaplnub Posts: 2,605member
    Quote:

Apple has said nothing.

Waiting 30 more days as opposed to 180+. That is why I am cool with Apple. That and the fact I don't use Aperture or Shake, yet. Adobe and Office I am in every day. In fact, I am on my Core Duo mini right now (2 GB ram) and I have to say that both run well enough I am not complaining like I was. They run faster than my Mini G4 could run'em.

I am in FCS a lot as well, so it is a plus that went UB but I have decided to wait and see how the line shakes out before upgrading my 20" iMac G5 1.8 GHz (which is doing just fine). Memrom and quad cores are dancing in my head. I believe the motovating reasons Apple switched to Intel will show up in late 06 or 07. Then we will be like, yeah, what a great move. The Core DUO stuff now is great, so don't get me wrong. I just feel it is going to get a lot better.