Apple quietly pushing revised MacBook Pros to market

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Although it has done so subtly, Apple Computer has slowly been addressing issues with its new MacBook Pro notebooks and now appears to be shipping a fourth minor revision of the Intel-based computers.

While the MacBook Pro has been receiving praise and stellar reviews from mainstream media outlets, its earliest adopters have had some quibbles.

They've discovered issues where AirPort does not automatically rejoin a preferred network after waking up from sleep and where the signal will randomly and abruptly drop to single-bar strength.

Some of the first MacBook Pros also packed LCD displays that have a tendency to flicker uncontrollably when the brightness is set to the lowest setting. Then, of course, there is the issue of heat.

According to DailyTech, some MacBook Pros get so hot they can barely be handled or placed on a bare lap. The notebooks are especially hot in the area above the F keys and underneath the notebook itself.

However, Apple told the publication that the MacBook Pro should never become this hot. A representative said "that should not happen. If it is, bring back your MacBook Pro and we'll give you an updated version."

In speaking to Apple representatives, DailyTech also discovered that Apple is working to rectify all of the aforementioned issues, and is doing so by quietly and consistently updating the logicboard it ships in each new MacBook Pro.

The company is reportedly up to the third or fourth revision of the logicboard. Revision D models reportedly begin with W8611, and revision C with W8610. The change in serial numbers along with the logicboard revision may be a coincidence in this case, as the two trailing digits (i.e. "10" and "11") may also represent the week in which the notebook was produced. [updated]

Still, Apple reportedly said that revision D and later MacBook Pros include fixes to several known issues, as well as those mentioned earlier. However, it's unclear if either of the revisions put to rest the very uncomfortable whining noise discovered by several MacBook Pro owners. So far, the only way to silence the issue is by launching a widget or PhotoBooth each time the notebooks reboot.

Meanwhile, Apple continues to fill a steady stream of orders for the MacBook Pro and appears to have reached a supply and demand balance on the notebooks through its online store -- now reflecting 24 hour ship times. Overall availability remains spotty.

Another major outlet offering same day shipping on the MacBook Pro is Amazon.com, which as an added bonus is offering $150 off both the 1.83GHz model and the 2.0GHz model.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 48
    At least there are less reasons now to not buy it. Apple is weighing too much on the MBP to site idle as people complain. Maybe the Nano scratch fiasco scared the sufficiently.
  • Reply 2 of 48
    I have a Rev D MBP (W8611...) and it has a problem with squealing and is VERY hot. My Rev A PB12" is much cooler and that's a scorcher. Apple has been easy to work with on this issue. I have my 12" to use while I have this repaired, so it'll work out ok.

With Update 10.4.6 Apple fixed some nasty software-related problems I was experiencing, most notably connecting to LEAP networks.

This thing is VERY fast, but the iMac Core Duo is faster at the same GHz rating. It's probably the hard drive that makes the difference.

All-in-all I'm very happy with this machine. Sounds like the quality control issues are getting ironed out. Once we see that for sure I'll begin recommending this platform in earnest.
  • Reply 3 of 48
    minderbinderminderbinder Posts: 1,703member
    So why do "discovered issues" and "never become this hot" link to amazon?

Odd.
  • Reply 4 of 48
    irelandireland Posts: 17,799member
    Nice to know they're doing there bit sorting these glicthes!
  • Reply 5 of 48
    imiloaimiloa Posts: 187member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Naraa Haras

I have a Rev D MBP (W8611...) and it has a problem with squealing and is VERY hot.

For ref, below is the link and meat of the original Daily Tech article.

I just got my MBP last week, and (by serial number) it seems to be one of the new rev D models described below.

- I haven't noticed any Airport connectivity issues.

- My screen does not flicker on lowest brightness.

- Does get very warm, but not uncomfortably.

- But I still definitely experience the CPU idle whine.

re: Idle whine, this seems to be an Intel issue, so not something Apple could (or would want to patch) via hardware. The new process hack does cure it, so maybe a simple OS software patch that always kept a thread running in both cores would be sufficient.

One thing not mentioned below is the lower battery endurance when one core is switched off. I haven't gotten around to testing this myself, but many have reported it. Doesn't make sense to me, since the CPU should draw less power when running half the circuitry, right?

Would love to get a grokkable explanation from an EE.

-----

http://www.dailytech.com/article.aspx?newsid=1584

Despite its popularity as a "must have" Apple product, the MacBook Pro is encountering a lot of issues. Many users are reporting similar issues to the ones I pointed out. To recap from my blog:
    • AirPort does not automatically rejoin a preferred network after waking up from sleep mode. This does not happen with my PowerBook. Settings are the same.

• AirPort would drop down to nearly 1 block randomly once in a while. This also does not happen with my PowerBook.

• At the lowest screen brightness setting (one block), the LCD's backlight flickers noticeably. This is pretty annoying.

• Heat is a big issue. The MacBook Pro gets so hot that I cannot place it on my lap if I'm wearing shorts. And even if I am wearing pants (instead of shorts), it's still very uncomfortable. Using the AC power, the palm rest area becomes very warm, and the area above the F keys is very hot. I do not notice this with the PowerBook.

We have confirmed with several MacBook Pro owners that these problems do in fact exist, and are not just isolated issues. While being at the forefront of technology is great, early adopters often find themselves with products that have shipped with a few quirks yet to be addressed.

I spoke with Apple over the weekend, and to my surprise, some of the issues are well known. Known well enough in fact, that Appe has already started addressing these issues in updated MacBook Pros. According to Apple, it has begun replacing the mainboard inside its MacBook Pros with a new revision. It calls the udpated product "revision D", which is identifiable by product serial number.

Serial numbers starting with W8611: revision D

Serial numbers starting with W8610: revision C
  • Reply 6 of 48
    My MacBook Pro's serial number is W86099*****, and it does not appear to have any problems with the screen or otherwise. I have had it for a few weeks now, and used it 24/7, so I think I would have noticed any issues if there were any.

Also using it in a very quiet environment, and this thing is one of the most silent laptops I have ever owned. Heat seems to be about the same as my previous PowerBook 1.67GHz, sometimes slightly cooler and sometimes slightly warmer. I can certainly use it on my lap for for extended periods without it getting uncomfortable.
  • Reply 7 of 48
    It also never had any problems rejoining Airport networks automatically upon waking up, even with Mac OS X 10.4.5, and bluetooth works very well (I get twice the speed compared to my previous PowerBook).

Judging from other people I know that have purchased MacBook Pro's, and who also have not had any problems, the following seems to be the case: most MacBook Pro's have been fine, however some people have had issues. Apple is addressing those issues. This is quite normal with products such as computers: when you roll out a new product, you might expect DOA (dead on arrival) rate to be somewhat elevated, due to unforeseen issues that did not show up during testing, and you subsequently tweak your production line by releasing minor revisions that take care of the issues.
  • Reply 8 of 48
    noirdesirnoirdesir Posts: 1,027member
    Quote:

Originally posted by imiloa

- But I still definitely experience the CPU idle whine.

re: Idle whine, this seems to be an Intel issue, so not something Apple could (or would want to patch) via hardware. The new process hack does cure it, so maybe a simple OS software patch that always kept a thread running in both cores would be sufficient.

How does this affect battery life? Could the whine be related to one or two processor cores taking a nap and reducing thereby their power consumption significantly? If so, than the hack of always keeping a thread running could reduce the battery life noticeably.
  • Reply 9 of 48
    opnsourceopnsource Posts: 216member
    Quote:

Originally posted by AppleInsider

According to DailyTech, some MacBook Pros get so hot they can barely be handled or placed on a bare lap. The notebooks are especially hot in the area above the F keys and underneath the notebook itself.

[ View this article at AppleInsider.com ]

This is the exact problem that I had posted about previously and no one in this forum thought that it was a problem. I am now relieved that I am not insane.
  • Reply 10 of 48
    This is why I personally never buy a new model car, computer, or new peice of technology within the first six months to a year it is released. Always something wrong "bugs" that need to be tweaked. As a result of rushing the release to meet consumer demand before its truly refined and ready.

I really want one of these though. Tough call. I think maybe January 2007 after new versions are available and Photoshop gets closer to universal.
  • Reply 11 of 48
    I was just wondering if using EFI this early might have anything to do with it because I don't think anyone else is really using it yet. Microsoft doesn't (seem to) even want to use EFI with Vista yet; it sounds as though OS X is quite ready for Intel; the article says that logic boards are what's being updated, that's why I ask.

• Reply 12 of 48
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Quote:

Originally posted by rebel_without_a_pc

I was just wondering if using EFI this early might have anything to do with it because I don't think anyone else is really using it yet. Microsoft doesn't even want to use EFI with Vista yet;

Well, *that's* an interesting spin on "MS blew it adding EFI support" I hadn't seen before...
  • Reply 13 of 48
    Mine is in the rev. E range - had it for a week now.

- It has good fit between the top & base,

- there is no whine of any kind (other than the one I hear all the time now);

- compared to my MDD PM, it's silent enough, and at least as fast;

- (have been unable to really put it thrugh its paces yet);

- Airport connectivity issue was solved by the 4.6 update last night;

- the space between the F-keys & the screen gets hot - snatch-your-hand-away hot, so that prob is still with the rev.E (SN W861203...)...(not good - I suppose I'll have to send in my otherwise fine machine).

Wish now that I'd popped for the 7200rpm HD - buying a replacement is more than twice Apple's upgrade price.
  • Reply 14 of 48
    ...kinda like, maybe Intel said to Apple, "Well, we can't give you first dibs on anything because that wouldn't be fair to Michael Dell, but one of our engineers says he can have a working beta if you really want to ship EFI with the CoreDuo in March...Oh... and now that Microsoft backed out, we won't be developing any more EFI for another 2 years. Sorry."

I hope I'm wrong.

On hte other hand, I also remember reading about Apple hiring a bunch of BIOS developers many months back, although I just assumed it was because they wanted to add more features like firewire boot or something.

Actually, I think Apple likes doing thier own firmware, so it will probably turn out better than anything PC's will have. Is that what they are doing?

Or are they "working with Intel" and Intel is gonna copy everything that they do?

What might be nice is if they work together and everything ends up the same, but the Mac is always years ahead of the competition.

• Reply 15 of 48
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    Dumb question...can MacTels do Target Disk/Boot?

That's always been something that is just like ummm wtf when I use PCs and it's missing. I use it probably once every week or two.
  • Reply 16 of 48
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    Quote:

Originally posted by BEatMaKeR

This is why I personally never buy a new model car, computer, or new peice of technology within the first six months to a year it is released. Always something wrong "bugs" that need to be tweaked. As a result of rushing the release to meet consumer demand before its truly refined and ready.

I really want one of these though. Tough call. I think maybe January 2007 after new versions are available and Photoshop gets closer to universal.

Hopefully by this fall when merom comes out, these issues will be completely resolved. I'm hoping for a 2ghz Merom MBP for $1999.
  • Reply 17 of 48
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Aquatic

Dumb question...can MacTels do Target Disk/Boot?

Yes, through FireWire.
  • Reply 18 of 48
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Quote:

Originally posted by rebel_without_a_pc

...kinda like, maybe Intel said to Apple, "Well, we can't give you first dibs on anything because that wouldn't be fair to Michael Dell, but one of our engineers says he can have a working beta if you really want to ship EFI with the CoreDuo in March...Oh... and now that Microsoft backed out, we won't be developing any more EFI for another 2 years. Sorry."

Well actually, EFI is a public standard, and has been out for, what, two years? Three? Dell actually shipped an EFI machine back in, I think, Q4 2004.

It's not like it was a big ol' secret inside Intel, or that it's a new unproven technology. MS is still supporting EFI on Vista Server (64bit), but has decided to drop it for the consumer versions. Simply put, they couldn't make schedule. When that happens, features get dropped. Since there aren't too many EFI machines out there yet (even though it was supposed to be one of the Next Big Things in Windows boxes this next year due to Vista support), it actually made sense to make it a low priority for now.
  • Reply 19 of 48
    deapeajaydeapeajay Posts: 909member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Capt. Obvious

Mine is in the rev. E range - had it for a week now.

- It has good fit between the top & base,

- there is no whine of any kind (other than the one I hear all the time now);

- compared to my MDD PM, it's silent enough, and at least as fast;

- (have been unable to really put it thrugh its paces yet);

- Airport connectivity issue was solved by the 4.6 update last night;

- the space between the F-keys & the screen gets hot - snatch-your-hand-away hot, so that prob is still with the rev.E (SN W861203...)...(not good - I suppose I'll have to send in my otherwise fine machine).

Wish now that I'd popped for the 7200rpm HD - buying a replacement is more than twice Apple's upgrade price.

I'm not noticing "snatch your hand away hot" with my revision E. hmmm.... it gets pretty hot, but not horribly. I doubt I'll have to turn mine in is all. So far, its been a super great machine.
  • Reply 20 of 48
    xoolxool Posts: 2,460member
    So far its looking good that Apple hasn't released other MacBook Pro systems. Let them work these kinks out with the 15" model before releasing 17" and other sizes.

The big question is, are there these number of issues with the iMacs and Minis? Or are they still on Rev A problem free?