Apple's "Boot Camp" beta runs Windows XP on Macs

1202122232426»

Comments

• Reply 501 of 510
    vineavinea Posts: 5,585member
    Quote:

Originally posted by emig647

...When I use MS VS I'm always doing MFC Applications. ...

That's the problem. If I had to do MFC again I'd be coding Java + OpenGL vs C# + MDX. .NET and managed code is sooo much nicer.

For MSDN it more than just tech calls. Its access to pretty much everything MS. For example, I wanted to try VirtualPC on my mac just to see how bad it sucked on a G4. I installed it from my MSDN DVDs and promptly said "Ugh, this is too slow" and removed it.

I was able to try 2005 beta from MSDN and that told me what I might need to do to go from .NET 1.1 to .NET 2.0 and why I'd want to.

I'm just a free ADC member so I don't know what's on the ADC disks but I would expect the same value added for a professional developer.

In terms of IDEs I prefer studio but that's personal preference more than anything else. Some folks prefer Eclipse over XCode because of the refactoring support. Whatever suits your fancy.

Yes, free is cheaper than $700.

Vinea
  • Reply 502 of 510
    emig647emig647 Posts: 2,455member
    Quote:

Originally posted by vinea

For MSDN it more than just tech calls. Its access to pretty much everything MS. For example, I wanted to try VirtualPC on my mac just to see how bad it sucked on a G4. I installed it from my MSDN DVDs and promptly said "Ugh, this is too slow" and removed it.

I actually love MFC compared to C#. I like getting down and dirty... but then again I try and put inline assembly in my code when I get a chance.

But yah, I used to do SQA and was on the MSDN program. This gave us every version of windows to test. It was good for what we needed... but in most cases I can't see an average developer really utilizing it.
  • Reply 503 of 510
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Quote:

Originally posted by vinea

Just 1. That's the renewal price...the new Subscription price is $2299.95. Certainly that's more than XCode + Select and you don't get some of the nice bennies as Primere but eh.

I only ask because with the Select, my research group got five seed keys to hand out to team members. The Premiere comes with *ten* hardware discounts... obviously, it's more directed at groups than single seat licenses. When you look at it that way, it's not a 1:1 correlation on features *or* price.

*shrug*
  • Reply 504 of 510
    sunilramansunilraman Posts: 8,133member
    Can anyone comment on USB support on BootCamp? There is no mention on Apple's website about USB drivers. I assume Winblows built-in USB support is enough?

USB Mice, Printers, ThumbDrives, etc, work fine???
  • Reply 505 of 510
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,600member
    Quote:

Originally posted by sunilraman

Can anyone comment on USB support on BootCamp? There is no mention on Apple's website about USB drivers. I assume Winblows built-in USB support is enough?

USB Mice, Printers, ThumbDrives, etc, work fine???

Certain things have to work. Like the mouse and keyboard.
  • Reply 506 of 510
    Originally posted by melgross

Cool. I'm mainly wondering about thumbdrives and printers and scanners. I know printer drivers and scanner drivers are provided by the manufacturers, just wondering if printers and scanners do their USB thing alright via USB. Wading through the Apple Discussions doesn't seem to provide a clear indication.

I'm also wondering is Apple relying on WinXP2's built-in USB support or are they using their own drivers for USB support. Actually this is a bit of a dumb question because you need a USB mouse and keyboard to do the installs so this is *before* you use the Apple driver CD. Meaning USB support is probably at a deeper layer than a Windows driver.
  • Reply 507 of 510
    Quote:

Originally posted by melgross

Cool. I'm mainly wondering about thumbdrives and printers and scanners. I know printer drivers and scanner drivers are provided by the manufacturers, just wondering if printers and scanners do their USB thing alright via USB. Wading through the Apple Discussions doesn't seem to provide a clear indication.

I'm also wondering is Apple relying on WinXP2's built-in USB support or are they using their own drivers for USB support. Actually this is a bit of a dumb question because you need a USB mouse and keyboard to do the installs so this is *before* you use the Apple driver CD. Meaning USB support is probably at a deeper layer than a Windows driver.

I seem to remember some reviews of this that said their printers did work. Ethernet works, of course. I think Firewire works, but I can't swear to that.

You might like this article.

http://www.computerworld.com/mobilet...110420,00.html
  • Reply 508 of 510
    Sunil, Apple's Bluetooth keyboard and mouse also work.

They say it doesn't, but that may have been a mistake because you have to use wired models to INSTALL Boot Camp. They include Bluetooth drivers. Other Bluetooth items might work as well.
  • Reply 509 of 510
    Yeah can't remember where I saw it but someone reported WinXP2 working fine with their Apple Bluetooth mouse and keyboard. Can't remember if they said Bluetooth mouse and keyboard was actually used during the WinXP2 install. Like you said maybe you probably can't use it when INSTALLING.
  • Reply 510 of 510
    Quote:

Yeah can't remember where I saw it but someone reported WinXP2 working fine with their Apple Bluetooth mouse and keyboard. Can't remember if they said Bluetooth mouse and keyboard was actually used during the WinXP2 install. Like you said maybe you probably can't use it when INSTALLING.

I know that for sure. There are no drivers installed until Win is installed, AND Apple's driver disk is also installed.