rageous,

What, no leopard print?
  • Reply 102 of 208
    rageousrageous Posts: 2,170member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ricksbrain

rageous,

What, no leopard print?

Exactly. I don't like these monotone colors, so it's obviously totally reasonable to assume I'd be much more open to something like a multi-colored animal print.

you got me.
  • Reply 103 of 208
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:

Originally posted by sunilraman

you should walk around most IT centres in Asia. It's all the rage. Most people in Asia look at a simple white iMac and iBook and are probably like WTF is that. Why is it not black/silver with a shiny glossy screen........................ White elegance is somehow not an Asian thing, I would propose. At least not in Malaysia

While is the color of death and mourning in much of Asia.

EDIT:

Ahh, I just saw Sandow's post.
  • Reply 104 of 208
    Quote:

Originally posted by aegisdesign

Really? I've NEVER seen white annodizing and I work with the bike industry and they've annodized pretty much everything in one colour or another.

It can be done, but it doesn't come out even enough. It looks splotchy.
  • Reply 105 of 208
    Quote:

Originally posted by sandau

Correct. The only way to get white aluminum is through powder coating, much different than anodizing and not nearly as durable. But any anodizing other than 'type 3' will be subject to scratching, which is probably why you have a alu powerbooks and macbooks in kind of a brushed look and not available in colored anodize.

Type 3 anodising "hard coat", can be dyed as well. It often is.

Actually, the colors come out much richer because the cells are deeper.
  • Reply 106 of 208
    Quote:

Originally posted by jouster

Well, there are some companies claiming to be close to producing a white dye for anodizing that does not require electro-deposition. But these are a little ways from being commercially viable, so I'll retract my original statement. It seems they might require a further protective layer to hold the dye.

Would be cool if they could do it.

A protective layer is always used, whether it is dyed or not. The cells have to be sealed. It can even be done with hot water, but the commercial process is more effective.

By the way, even though hard anodising it very hard, harder than chrome, it is very weak. Colored cases as big and heavy as a computer wouldn't be very hard to scratch. And the colors do wear down after a while.
  • Reply 107 of 208
    yah, the more I'm hearing, the more I think they'll definitely stick with the same plastic they have, so they can keep the white, and because its cheaper.

Now some very small accents in the shiny iPod metal surface would look really sharp.

And the colors will be black, white and red. Red for that AIDS awareness thing.
  • Reply 108 of 208
    solsunsolsun Posts: 763member
    Whatever Apple does with the MacBook, it will somehow tie-in with the rest of their product lines..

Those mock-up colors are as far from being "Apple-like" as you can possibly get.

They look like Alien children compared to Apple's white, siver and black color schemes..

Do you actually think you will see a blood red or dark purple Macbook in an Apple store? Sheesh..
  • Reply 109 of 208
    Quote:

Originally posted by DeaPeaJay

yah, the more I'm hearing, the more I think they'll definitely stick with the same plastic they have, so they can keep the white, and because its cheaper.

Now some very small accents in the shiny iPod metal surface would look really sharp.

And the colors will be black, white and red. Red for that AIDS awareness thing.

You said the magic word. *cheaper*

I've been looking for that word throughout the thread.

With all of the enthusium about colors, anodising, and carbon fiber, no one else brought up *cheaper*.

The other problem that seems to have been forgotten is that Apple had a difficult time trying to convince retailers to carry all of the colors. One might remember that Best Buy wouldn't carry the old iMacs because Apple insisted that everyone carry all of the colors, even though Apple knew that not all were selling. Apple had that problem with several retailers.

Then what happens to the inventory that doesn't sell?

Apple has to concentrate on making these things as cheaply as possible.

I remember everyone speculating on a $799 iBook when the Intel machines were announced. There was great enthusiasm about that. What happened? That doesn't matter anymore?

That was how all of those PC users were going to get snagged, remember?
  • Reply 110 of 208
    Just throwing this into the mix.

http://www.dailytech.com/article.aspx?newsid=1723
  • Reply 111 of 208
    Quote:

Originally posted by melgross

[BI remember everyone speculating on a $799 iBook when the Intel machines were announced. There was great enthusiasm about that. What happened? That doesn't matter anymore?

[/B]

A $799 MacBook won't happen.. The core-duo mini is $799 and it has the lowest profit margin of any computer Apple sells.. Add to that the $143 cost of the 13" LCD and the additional costs of a laptop case, maglite connector and trackpad and we will be lucky if Apple can even match the $999 price tag of the current iBook (assuming the MB's are similarly equipped as the mini.)

The new components (chip, LCD) in the MacBook cost more, not less than the current iBooks.
  • Reply 112 of 208
    Quote:

Originally posted by solsun

A $799 MacBook won't happen.. The core-duo mini is $799 and it has the lowest profit margin of any computer Apple sells.. Add to that the $143 cost of the 13" LCD and the additional costs of a laptop case, maglite connector and trackpad and we will be lucky if Apple can even match the $999 price tag of the current iBook (assuming the MB's are similarly equipped as the mini.)

The new components (chip, LCD) in the MacBook cost more, not less than the current iBooks.

IF, it's dual core. That Still isn't known for sure. speculation, but that's all.

I'm not saying that I think we will get a $799 machine. I'm reacting to the expensive color solutions people are seemingly so thrilled about. Colors that would bring the price up another $50 to $100.
  • Reply 113 of 208
    Quote:

don't forget iSight
  • Reply 114 of 208
    Quote:

IF, it's dual core. That Still isn't known for sure. speculation, but that's all.

True, but up until the recent mini revision, the iBook and mini shared the same processor specs.. I think it's a pretty safe assumption.
  • Reply 115 of 208
    Quote:

True, but up until the recent mini revision, the iBook and mini shared the same processor specs.. I think it's a pretty safe assumption.

I agree, they may do two options as with the mini. maybe a low end solo for 799
  • Reply 116 of 208
    Quote:

Originally posted by DeaPeaJay

don't forget iSight

Thanks, almost forgot! I just don't see a $999 MacBook as very likely... The mini increased $100, maybe the MacBook will too...

$1099?
  • Reply 117 of 208
    Quote:

Thanks, almost forgot! I just don't see a $999 MacBook as very likely... The mini increased $100, maybe the MacBook will too...

$1099?

Who knows? They might do it.

But, I think that would be a disaster.

Consumer pricing is all about the Under one dollar, or Under one thousand.

It's why Jobs doesn't want to raise the prices on iTunes to over 99 cents. It's psycological.
  • Reply 118 of 208
    palegolaspalegolas Posts: 1,361member
    I just hope they come up with something beautiful and not just cover the whole piece in color like Sony just did with the new VAIO. They look really bad:

No, I hope they come up with something really nice and not just a shiny plastic color. Actually I'd like to see a textile surface with textile patterns. I know it'd become dirty and worn out, but it'd be sooo nice with a textile computer.

Perhaps something like this:

(These patterns are from BagIT)
  • Reply 119 of 208
    palegolaspalegolas Posts: 1,361member
    Quote:

$1099?

Yeah, but intel has recently announced a major price drop of around 20 - 30% on the core duo family as they're increasing the production in the end of May. Perhaps Apple will adjust pricing by that time.
  • Reply 120 of 208
    sunilramansunilraman Posts: 8,133member

While is the color of death and mourning in much of Asia.

EDIT:

Ahh, I just saw Sandow's post.

Usually AFAIK more among the older generation and when you're talking about funerals and stuff you don't want to turn up with a purple hawaian shirt.

Weddings are common at least in Malaysia with the groom in a black suit and the bride in a white gown. Particularly the 20-somethings with a more modern attitude.

Among the Chinese Red is a very lucky colour so you see that a lot but more during Chinese New Year.

With gadgets and the younger generation, I think sometimes the white Apple gear just looks too austere and "institutional" as one poster mentioned. The black iPods and aluminium powerbooks I feel are strong colors and brand-building stuff for Apple. But the white iMac, Mac mini, iBook, lacks a certain impact. I feel in Asia the elegance and cuteness of those white products do not come through strongly. If you look at Sony it's more about gloss and darker colors, more metallic.