Comments

• Reply 201 of 208
    aegisdesignaegisdesign Posts: 2,914member
    Quote:

Originally posted by melgross

The MacBookPro is a 6+ lb laptop.

It's 5.6lbs.

http://www.apple.com/macbookpro/whatsinside.html

Other than GPU. The MacBookPro is pretty much identical in performance to the Dell. Why make it heavier?
  • Reply 202 of 208
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,599member
    Quote:

Originally posted by aegisdesign

It's 5.6lbs.

http://www.apple.com/macbookpro/whatsinside.html

Ok, so it's less than it was. Still the 17" will be heavier.
  • Reply 203 of 208
    Quote:

Originally posted by DeaPeaJay

Well, I'm sure they'll have one primarily girly color. Pink probably.

I'll guess, white, black, pink, and blue maybe. Of course, if they limit it to a small number like that, somebody's gonna want another color.

An ideal way to go would be this way,

Brilliant at first, but will this be outdated quickly?! Even though I love colour, I do think I would stick with the silver or white because I don't want an outdated looking notebook. But still, these would look pretty darn funky with tha annodized aluminum!
  • Reply 204 of 208
    Quote:

Ok, so it's less than it was. Still the 17" will be heavier.

17" PowerBook is 6.9lbs. But that's a 17" laptop. You're already into the realms of stupidity in mobile computing.
  • Reply 205 of 208
    Quote:

17" PowerBook is 6.9lbs. But that's a 17" laptop. You're already into the realms of stupidity in mobile computing.

The term "laptop" doesn't really mean much for some machines when looking at their main areas of application. The 17", for example, is not carried around by its user, nor is it used on their laps.

While some people will buy them, just to show them off, the intended user works for a company, on location, where the machine is packed away along with all of the other expensive production equipment, such as those tiny cameras that filming is done with. The machine is then taken out of its packing, and set up by an assistant. The editor sits at a desk, or table, when using it, where it remains until the shoot is finished at that location. The assistant then packs it up again.

Size and weight aren't factors.

Gaming people are a little nutty anyway. Otherwise, why would they spend upwards of $4,000 on their rigs, cut the panels out, replace them with transparent plastic, and light up the memory modules. They even have little LED feet for the machines, and strings of neon to wind throughout the interior.

Let's not talk about logic here. A ten pound portable would be fine, if it could squeeze another 5 FPS out of Doom. They take these things to laptop gaming parties, they don't care about size, or weight. The Dell machine will sell well.
  • Reply 206 of 208
    Quote:

While some people will buy them, just to show them off, the intended user works for a company, on location, where the machine is packed away along with all of the other expensive production equipment, such as those tiny cameras that filming is done with. The machine is then taken out of its packing, and set up by an assistant. The editor sits at a desk, or table, when using it, where it remains until the shoot is finished at that location. The assistant then packs it up again.

But that's a titchy teeny small market. Apple have a big share of that market but it's not the mainstream. The few people I know with 17" laptops leave them on their desk all the time. They'd have been better off with iMacs.

Quote:

Gaming people are a little nutty anyway. Otherwise, why would they spend upwards of $4,000 on their rigs, cut the panels out, replace them with transparent plastic, and light up the memory modules. They even have little LED feet for the machines, and strings of neon to wind throughout the interior.

Let's not talk about logic here. A ten pound portable would be fine, if it could squeeze another 5 FPS out of Doom. They take these things to laptop gaming parties, they don't care about size, or weight. The Dell machine will sell well.

And that's Windows gamers. Unless Apple go completely nuts and start selling laptops with Windows on, they aren't in that market.
  • Reply 207 of 208
    Quote:

But that's a titchy teeny small market. Apple have a big share of that market but it's not the mainstream. The few people I know with 17" laptops leave them on their desk all the time. They'd have been better off with iMacs.

And that's Windows gamers. Unless Apple go completely nuts and start selling laptops with Windows on, they aren't in that market.

Look, this is all very personal. I wouldn't buy one, and obviously, neither would you. But I know a bunch of people who have Apple 17" laptops. They do, for the most part, editing.

The Windows gamer is not a huge market when compared to the overall PC market, but they are a large market when compared to Apple's sales.

The other sites I go to seem to be showing a good amount of interest in Apple's machines now that Boot Camp is out. A lot of gamers seem to like Apple, and its hardware, cost is not a major problem. Not being able to run these games, is.

I think the appeal of having a Mac, and running Windows games will have a lot of appeal. But, Apple must have machines that will compete with these other specialty machines.

As I said, if the largest computer manfacturer in the world thought that buying a gaming company was a good idea, Apple can come out with a machine in the porrable space to compete. There would be other buyers as well.
  • Reply 208 of 208
    sunilramansunilraman Posts: 8,133member
    Would the Macbook Pro ever compete with something like this?

http://www.alienware.com

No, but it is very interesting that the Macbook Pro via BootCamp can play games like Half Life 2 at pretty reasonable frame rates, at low-mid level detail. A pity only 10% (?) of Macbook Pro owners would play PC games from time to time.

BTW, I managed to get my paws on a Macbook Pro today! Mmm... Molested it nice and good, the sweet sweet aluminium, sleek and sexy, oh yeah, baby, yeah, oh yeah, yeah baby, yeah..........

Then I realised people at the Apple shop were looking at me weird