Should I install Parallels or Boot Camp

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 70
    Quote:

Originally posted by xdaniel

There have actually been a few rumors lately that Apple is indeed unhappy with the Mach kernel. It is a very good kernel for portability, but it is known to be quite slow. Microkernels in general are slower. There are a few Mach kernel derivitives that are a good deal faster than Mach (i.e., L4 and its derivatives).

Microkernals ARE slow. However Mac os X does not use a mach microkernal. Specifically it uses a kernal called XNU. This includes a lot of BSD, as well as mach, and is NOT a microkernal. The XNU kernal is a derivative of mach and Apple have changed it quite a lot. If you look at the real world performance of the kernal in osX you'll find that it doesn't have performance issues at all.

If you can find any evidence of any Apple engineer/executive expressing a dissatisfaction with the mach kernal then why don't you link us to the article.
  • Reply 62 of 70
    Quote:

Originally posted by blackbird_1.0

I'd like to eventually try to get something like NeXTStep or Openstep running.

It's been my obsessive dream to run that system, or own a NeXT box.

why run next when u can run macos X? surely osX >> neXT
  • Reply 63 of 70
    Quote:

Originally posted by Archstudent

Microkernals ARE slow. However Mac os X does not use a mach microkernal. Specifically it uses a kernal called XNU. This includes a lot of BSD, as well as mach, and is NOT a microkernal. The XNU kernal is a derivative of mach and Apple have changed it quite a lot. If you look at the real world performance of the kernal in osX you'll find that it doesn't have performance issues at all.

If you want to know exactly what XNU is read this article:

http://www.kernelthread.com/mac/osx/arch_xnu.html

If you can find any evidence of any Apple engineer/executive expressing a dissatisfaction with the mach kernal then why don't you link us to the article.

• Reply 64 of 70
    Quote:

why run next when u can run macos X? surely osX >> neXT

Yeah, I know. It's just the curiosity in me, I guess.
  • Reply 65 of 70
    Quote:

Originally posted by blackbird_1.0

Yeah, I know. It's just the curiosity in me, I guess.

some things are fun to do "just because you can"
  • Reply 66 of 70
    Quote:

some things are fun to do "just because you can"

Yep.
  • Reply 67 of 70
    i'm not familiar w/ Next...can you tell me about it?
  • Reply 68 of 70
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Quote:

Originally posted by builttospill

i'm not familiar w/ Next...can you tell me about it?

There are several sites talking about. For example: this and this. If you use X11 on OS X, you can always install an OpenStep-like window manager. Downloading/compilation/installation are automated if you go through Fink.
  • Reply 69 of 70
    interesting stuff. let me know if you figure out how to get it going...so it's only supposed to be able to run on Next boxes?
  • Reply 70 of 70
    Quote:

Originally posted by builttospill

interesting stuff. let me know if you figure out how to get it going...so it's only supposed to be able to run on Next boxes?

The early days, yes. Later it was ported to other computers.