• Reply 21 of 46
    markivmarkiv Posts: 180member
    Quote:

Originally posted by hmurchison

Better make that in pesos or yen

Maybe Lira or Rouble
  • Reply 22 of 46
    icfireballicfireball Posts: 2,594member
    I think the Apple Cinema Displays need some new talent and a lower price. I wonder when we'll see that. My guess would be WWDC. I don't think Apple would do iPod at WWDC and the MacBook (and maybe updated MacBook Pros) will be out in april. Personally I think Apple won't wait till WWDC to release the intel PowerMacs. Thats just too long I think. Also Steve Jobs is going to want to say, "We have ALL of our computer line on intel now"
  • Reply 23 of 46
    Quote:

Originally posted by turtlebud

does anyone think they'll refresh their display line at NAB next week? seems like an appropriate play to do so.

Well thanks to gugy who posted this link from Think Secret http://www.thinksecret.com/news/finalcut6.html, it seem Apple may introduce a new Display, here's the quote...

Quote:

Rumblings have also suggested Apple will release an even larger Cinema Display than the company's current flagship 30-inch display, one capable of supporting all 11+ million pixels a 4K camera (4520x2540 resolution) will be able to capture.

Now this is just a rumor so well have to wait and see what happen this week, but it should be an interesting week
  • Reply 24 of 46
    Think Secret is ususally very reliable in their predictions.
  • Reply 25 of 46
    ipodandimacipodandimac Posts: 3,273member
    Quote:

Originally posted by kmhtkmhtkmht

When are the next revision of the 30 Inch Displays coming out?

The current 30 inch albeit updated is kind of getting tired...

Yes, it's getting tired. Those brand spanking new ones, though hunks of materials, have feelings and somehow know how long their product line has been active, therefore making them tired. Do you have one? have you used one? They're a little too impressive to be "tired."
  • Reply 26 of 46
    Quote:

Originally posted by ipodandimac

Yes, it's getting tired. Those brand spanking new ones, though hunks of materials, have feelings and somehow know how long their product line has been active, therefore making them tired. Do you have one? have you used one? They're a little too impressive to be "tired."

Hate to break it to you but they are getting a bit tired. Let me explain.......

...So sure they look hot...

BUT

They are way to goddam expensive compared to the compeition

They even have much lower specs than the competition

They have a lot worse features than the competition

They could include TV tuner features.
  • Reply 27 of 46
    lupalupa Posts: 202member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ipodandimac

I don't know, 23" has been hitting the gym a lot lately. He looks pretty tired when he comes into the office, tends to mumble about the thigh master a bit then kinda slinks off.
  • Reply 28 of 46
    lupalupa Posts: 202member
    Quote:

Originally posted by icfireball

BUT

Then buy from the competition, obviously you will get a better deal. Though I would doubt that Apple will add tuners simply because they are meant to be used with computers, specifically the powermac (the mini just wouldn't make sense). This indicates a work station setting, not a tv lounge. That said, this might change as front row is expanded and the digital life style creeps out of the computer and starts making a mess in the living room. *rolls up newspaper*
  • Reply 29 of 46
    whoamiwhoami Posts: 301member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Lupa

Then buy from the competition, obviously you will get a better deal. Though I would doubt that Apple will add tuners simply because they are meant to be used with computers, specifically the powermac (the mini just wouldn't make sense). This indicates a work station setting, not a tv lounge. That said, this might change as front row is expanded and the digital life style creeps out of the computer and starts making a mess in the living room. *rolls up newspaper*

The reason they won't add a tv tuner to the 30" is because any TV content would look TERRIBLE at the native resolution of the 30" (2560x1600). I could see them coming out with a larger screen (40"-50") with lower resolution (1920x1080) for the living room though!
  • Reply 30 of 46
    macroninmacronin Posts: 1,174member
    Quote:

Originally posted by whoami

The reason they won't add a tv tuner to the 30" is because any TV content would look TERRIBLE at the native resolution of the 30" (2560x1600). I could see them coming out with a larger screen (40"-50") with lower resolution (1920x1080) for the living room though!

You mean like my post half a page up??!?

Quote:

Originally posted by MacRonin

How about a sweet 42" 1920x1080 (24p capable) LCD display, with VESA wall-mount & built-in iSight with remote control pan & zoom capabilities?

Perfect for the living room?!

Now if Apple would just do a DVR box for the Mac mini?

;^p

Huh, funny that?

• Reply 31 of 46
    gugygugy Posts: 794member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Darth_Apple

Well thanks to gugy who posted this link from Think Secret http://www.thinksecret.com/news/finalcut6.html, it seem Apple may introduce a new Display, here's the quote...

Now this is just a rumor so well have to wait and see what happen this week, but it should be an interesting week

My pleasure Darth_Apple.

I hope a new larger display will be coming soon. But, I am not holding my breath. TS has been reliable in the past but lately they have been really bad. So I am not sure if we can trust their sources anymore.

I have one 30" display and I would buy a larger one if the price is not more than $3500. I have to say it's a lot of money but every penny is well worth. I have no regrets of my 30"
  • Reply 32 of 46
    eckingecking Posts: 1,588member
    Why is everyone only asking for 30"? As if the entire cinema display product line hasn't gone stale?

They're not going to cosmetically change only 1 model.
  • Reply 33 of 46
    gugygugy Posts: 794member
    I personally don't think the Cinema Displays design will change anytime soon. They really look good so I don't think the New PM with Intel will be much more different than the actual PM G5 so the displays might keep their current design to follow the computer line up.

I believe all the models will get better specs as the new 30" couple weeks back.

Now the surprise might be the larger monitor as TS is predicting. That could be the great innovation coming into the displays this year as well of the possible built-in Isight.

I think NAB or WWDC will be the place to see this new models coming in with the later as the best occasion for it.
  • Reply 34 of 46
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:

Originally posted by drumsticks

I'd like to see a 150DPI 20inch display... 30in resolutions in a 20inch size. My current 20inch display is only 99DPI, which is looking more and more inadequate.

Of course, we'd have to wait for resolution independent 10.5 before we can properly use a high resolution display. Back to waiting...

Resolution independence is the thing I'd be waiting for too before I would want greater than 100dpi on a desktop. Many UI element sizes seem to be completely uncontrollable, particularly buttons, I think a lot of them are too small for the 100dpi size as it is.
  • Reply 35 of 46
    Quote:

Originally posted by Robin Hood

Universal is now also not going to use the image constraint token, so there are only 2 studios left. It's still up on the air what will happen, and I don't think it will help you future proof your purchase much (if at all), unfortunately.

It remains to be seen if they will commit to forever disable ICT, or at least for the life of current displays. It may be just a ploy to get people to upgrade only to be turned on with later releases.
  • Reply 36 of 46
    Quote:

Originally posted by icfireball

BUT

Some people fixate too much on specs. Comparing them is often meaningless because they generally use the same panels as the competition, Apple seems to be more conservative in rating the specs, the competition seems to inflate them. The main difference is the enclosure, backlight and electronics. There is an odd fixation on rated brightness, but given how bright the current displays are now, displays are now desktop tanning booths.

I think Apple probably should release a line with plastic enclosures at a lower price, but that likely won't quell many of the complainers, I think this because they seem to want the look of the Apple at the price of a Dell.
  • Reply 37 of 46
    vinney57vinney57 Posts: 1,162member
    Specs will be quietly upped as the raw panels improve and prices will be tweaked but the monitor aesthetics won't change for a couple of years yet.

No speakers,

No iSight

No TV tuners

'tis not the Apple way.
  • Reply 38 of 46
    Quote:

Originally posted by vinney57

Specs will be quietly upped as the raw panels improve and prices will be tweaked but the monitor aesthetics won't change for a couple of years yet.

No speakers,

No iSight

No TV tuners

'tis not the Apple way.

I would think they could easily include an iSight without violating their 'way'. Already, they seem to be pushing iSight to be standard on all computers with a built-in display, whether or not there really is a need or demand for them. I can't say I really need one but it's standard anyway.
  • Reply 39 of 46
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:

Originally posted by vinney57

No speakers,

No iSight

No TV tuners

'tis not the Apple way.

What is the apple way? Hi-fi !! There's no standard way. The i-sight argument doesn't make sense. The i-sight is the standard way now! The new displays will include an i-sight, and I hope to see some hidden speakers too, under the bottom!
  • Reply 40 of 46
    coreycorey Posts: 165member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Ireland

What is the apple way? Hi-fi !! There's no standard way. The i-sight argument doesn't make sense. The i-sight is the standard way now! The new displays will include an i-sight, and I hope to see some hidden speakers too, under the bottom!

Wouldn't an internal iSight on a big monitor need to be able to be adjusted somehow? And I mean beyond the tilting of the entire monitor.

I'll give you a maybe on the iSight but I wouldn't hold your breath on the speakers. Unless maybe they are a seperate accessory item that attaches to the back.