The NAB 2006 Prefunk

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Ahhhh 10 days to go and we usher in another National Association of Broadcasters tradeshow. Here's what I'd love to see

A sub $10k Red camera with innovative features

In 10 days we seperate the hype from reality. What exactly is this new Indie supercam going to offer. I'm hoping for HD 35mm lens options that don't cost an arm and a leg. I'm hoping for outputs that allow for high quality out to a storage device. I'm hoping for CODECS that are efficient yet offer superior quality.

Final Cut Studio 2

I'm hoping for Final Cut 6- Better media management, better timeline codec support, more Core Video/Audio/Image support.

DVD Studio Pro 5- Blu Ray and HD DVD full support including authoring for the interactive layers.

Motion 3- Faster performance, Z Axis support, improved keying, more automation

Soundtrack Pro- Multitrack recording, Logic Pro support, smoother integration with FCS

I'd like to see updates to other apps as well

Shake 5- I'd like a "knock your socks off" update.

Logic Pro 8- UI UI UI add STP features (noise red, latency compensation everywhere, sample accurate editing in window)

I'd love to something that ties everything together nicely. Something like a Media Manager Extreme which would be a second add on. It would be like XSAN and Media Manager had a child together and everyone's invited. Teams could work on the same project checking files in and out without the worry of being locked out. This would be Apple's answer to Autodesk's Toxik.

I'd also like to see Apple and Appogee demonstrating

Ensemble, their Core Audio interface that is software controlled

Very powerfull and should have that apogee quality.

Apple has developed a wonderful ecosystem of creative applicatons. NAB is always a favorite time of mine because so many cool products hit and Apple is in the thick of things.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 52
    cory bauercory bauer Posts: 1,286member
    From Apple, what would get me most excited would be Z axis support in Motion, which you listed. With that I would also want full 3D camera capabilities ala After Effects, and lighting capabilities. The notion of After Effects not being universal for another two years scares the hell out of me, and I would love to be able to use Motion as a fulltime alternative, but it will need to gain Z axis support in order for that to be possible.

I wonder though if Apple will have much of anything new to show this year, or if their programmers have spent the past year making Final Cut Studio Universal Binaries?
  • Reply 2 of 52
    eckingecking Posts: 1,588member
    Where did you ever get the idea that red was going to be sub 10k? With the sensors they're looking to put in this thing you need to double that price.

Red isn't a prosumer cam, 10k would be crazy but it's not being made so everyone can personally own one.
  • Reply 3 of 52
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,419member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ecking

Where did you ever get the idea that red was going to be sub 10k? With the sensors they're looking to put in this thing you need to double that price.

Red isn't a prosumer cam, 10k would be crazy but it's not being made so everyone can personally own one.

If the specs are true then I know it's not going to be under 10K. Hell under 20K would still be a steal when you consider how much a mini35 is to add to a SD camera. But dare to dream is the motto. I won't be heart broken if it's 30-40k because I still couldn't afford it if it was 1/4 that.
  • Reply 4 of 52
    macroninmacronin Posts: 1,174member
    What? No speculation on the über Mac workstation / real-time multi-stream HD machines??!?

With the super-duper mega hi-rez 4k LCD display for major composite/edit jobs??!?

And a full HD (1080p/24) iSight built into said ACD??!?

;^p
  • Reply 5 of 52
    eckingecking Posts: 1,588member
    Quote:

Originally posted by hmurchison

If the specs are true then I know it's not going to be under 10K. Hell under 20K would still be a steal when you consider how much a mini35 is to add to a SD camera. But dare to dream is the motto. I won't be heart broken if it's 30-40k because I still couldn't afford it if it was 1/4 that.

I know exactly what you mean.
  • Reply 6 of 52
    cory bauercory bauer Posts: 1,286member
    Quote:

Originally posted by MacRonin

What? No speculation on the über Mac workstation / real-time multi-stream HD machines??!?

With the super-duper mega hi-rez 4k LCD display for major composite/edit jobs??!?

And a full HD (1080p/24) iSight built into said ACD??!?

;^p

I save my speculation for things I can actually afford
  • Reply 7 of 52
    www.hdforindies.com

Quote:

"In terms of development partners, one of the companies already we're in extensive talks with, and moving to a a development cycle with, is AJA video. There will be an announcement of something of significance between AJA and RED, and we'll talk a bit about it at NAB."

Quote is an answer from Ted Schilowitz Mac Video Project Manager

Also

Quote:

"This thing is so f**ing wicked cool - this thing will knock your socks off, this thing is like no other camera that has ever been built."

I'm hoping that Panasonic shows a mockup or two of their HD cameras due in 2007. Panasonic is not a member of the HDV group like Sony, JVC and Canon. So it will not use the HDV codec. That leads to the inevitable question "what will they use?" My personal hope is one of their DVC HD codecs. It wouldn't be as efficient spacewise but editing it would be a little easier.

I expect to see announcements on Blu Ray and HD DVD authoring tools come out of the woodwork.
  • Reply 8 of 52
    dhagan4755dhagan4755 Posts: 2,152member
    Question:

Is Apple holding a Special Event at NAB next Sunday (April 23rd)?
  • Reply 9 of 52
    gugygugy Posts: 794member
    Quote:

Originally posted by DHagan4755

Question:

Is Apple holding a Special Event at NAB next Sunday (April 23rd)?

I don't think so.

At least we have not heard anything about it. Si it seems to close for a special event.

Another thing to consider is that not long ago TS predicted a large Cinema display to be announce at NAB as well as the update Final Cut Studio.
  • Reply 10 of 52
    gugygugy Posts: 794member
    Here is the link for the TS story:

http://www.thinksecret.com/news/finalcut6.html
  • Reply 11 of 52
    Another Indie camera coming $20k Tapeless.

The SI-1920HDVR combines a digital cinema class 1920x1080P camera with CineForm's revolutionary Visually Perfect®CineForm RAW?codec in an embedded PC architecture under Microsoft Windows® XP. It delivers a direct-to-disk recording platform with unprecedented image quality, 10-F stop dynamic range, a 7? LCD touchscreen interface, IT-friendly connectivity, battery powered operation and up to 4-hours of continuous shooting on its hot-swap 160GB notebook hard drive.

The SI-1920HDVR uses a single large format 2/3? CMOS sensor with an on-chip 12-bit A/D converter for a complete digital pathway, minimizing noise and maximizing dynamic range. Its interchangeable optical assembly enables the use of high quality modern cinema PL mount lenses, as well as affordable F and compact C mount lenses. Directly attach 15mm lightweight rods or a 19mm ARRI style bridge-plate adapter and use the latest in follow focus attachments, matte boxes, and other cinema-style gear and accessories. Detach the camera-head and connect to it remotely using Gigabit Ethernet.

Today, Expose, Shoot and Produce impressive 16:9 progressive scan footage at 1080/24p, 1080/25p, 1080/30P and 720P up to 72fps for slow-motion effects. Then directly Edit the footage on a Prospect-HD NLE system over a LAN connection, as each shot is taken. Or, simply connect the removable hard drive magazine and edit the content directly from the disc. Play the 10-bit Cineform AVI footage in Microsoft Windows Media? Player, add metadata with Adobe Bridge, edit with HD-SDI output in Adobe Premiere Pro or composite in Adobe After Effects; all without a time consuming ingest process. It also supports Quicktime formats for use on Apple and Avid systems.

I don't know if this is going to compete with Red but it's obvious to me know that by decade end the idea of paying $100k or more for a HD camera is going to be very rare. The revolution is underway.
  • Reply 12 of 52
    http://www.colorspaceinc.com/

Yet another source coming for 2k or above camera. I think Steve Jobs was off a year. 2006 is going to be the year of HD
  • Reply 13 of 52
    As resolutions increase, the glass will become more and more important. The camera may be relatively inexpensive, but prime lenses and zooms that have top notch performance specs are not going to take a nose dive in price. The UGLIEST thing about DV, HDV, etc. is when it's projected on a large screen is that the focus problems and bad glass are MAGNIFIED.

At NAB, everyone and their brother will have "an announcement" to make. Wanna make any bets on:

--how many will have true working prototypes that can make the entire path from acquisition to film output?

--how many will announce a "firm" product availability date?

--how many will have a tin can mock up with no guts inside?

--how many will compare themselves to film?

The Colorspace lit is such a hoot. What hype. What BS.

RED; this guy's clearly got enough money to smoke the good stuff.

Poor Kinetta. Ahead of the curve, but held back by Altasens until everyone else could get on the train and print some press releases.

Vaporware is so...

...last century.

gc
  • Reply 14 of 52
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    There's a rumor that RED might start at under $25k, but I wouldn't be surprised if that was without the glass and without any sort of compression, encoding, or storage system. To actually shoot and record footage, I simply would not be surprised if it is $100k and up. The reason I say this is that according to the rep in an interview, it sounds like the camera is designed to be modular and scalable, where even existing high quality third party lenses for 35mm film cameras could be transferred to this beast.

AFIAK, RED is not near production yet, what gets shown at NAB might be a crude prototype or mock-up rather than a sample that's close to production.

Regarding Apple releases, my understanding from a person that's watched Apple releases is that the main Final Cut program / suite doesn't get a full revision every year but every other year. We may see a 5.5 and an updated minor revision (.5) to adequately support HD-DVD and Blu-Ray. Any system that supports something like RED would probably be a development sample.
  • Reply 15 of 52
    Why isn't Apple on the list for keynotes? http://www.nabshow.com/Conferences/events.asp

Apple does, however, have just about the biggest show floor space. One 10,000 Sq Ft booth and a 2,500 sq ft booth next to it. M$ only has 2 400 square foot booths.
  • Reply 16 of 52
    kim kap solkim kap sol Posts: 2,987member
    Quote:

Originally posted by paix247

Why isn't Apple on the list for keynotes? http://www.nabshow.com/Conferences/events.asp

Apple does, however, have just about the biggest show floor space. One 10,000 Sq Ft booth and a 2,500 sq ft booth next to it. M$ only has 2 400 square foot booths.

MS is just there to see firsthand what they can copy from Apple.
  • Reply 17 of 52
    multimediamultimedia Posts: 1,034member
    Quote:

Originally posted by paix247

OK. This is it day. So why isn't Apple listed among those holding a press conference at their booth today??

http://www.nabshow.com/press/pressconferences.asp

My mind is blown that Apple PR chose this year of all years to cancel their annual Sunday NAB Expo Eve Press Event at the booth. I am dumbfounded. This has got to be one of the biggest PR Blunders in years. It shows just how poor the PR leadership is at Apple. I am speechless.
  • Reply 18 of 52
    g_warreng_warren Posts: 713member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Multimedia

OK. This is it day. So why isn't Apple listed among those holding a press conference at their booth today??

http://www.nabshow.com/press/pressconferences.asp

My mind is blown that Apple PR chose this year of all years to cancel their annual Sunday NAB Expo Eve Press Event at the booth. I am dumbfounded. This has got to be one of the biggest PR Blunders in years. It shows just how poor the PR leadership is at Apple. I am speechless.

Since when has Apple announced products on a Sunday? They could still announce on Wednesday or Thursday according to that page, or they could add it to the Apple site anytime without advertising a press announcement at this page.

Even if they don't, I don't see how it is the biggest PR blunder in years - they didn't promise to release anything this week!

Edit - typos etc
  • Reply 19 of 52
    commoduscommodus Posts: 270member
    Quote:

Originally posted by G_Warren

Since when has Apple announced products on a Sunday? They could still announce on Wednesday or Thursday according to that booth, or they could add it to the site anytime with advertising a press announcement at their site.

Even if they don't, I don't see how it is the biggest PR blunder in years - they didn't promise to release anything this week!

I know at least one or two software releases were announced on the Sunday of an NAB Expo. Motion was first introduced this way.

The tricky bit is that Apple hasn't ever introduced hardware on a Sunday (to the best of my knowledge). It's entirely possible that Apple will wait until Monday or Tuesday - if this is indeed going to happen in the first place.
  • Reply 20 of 52
    multimediamultimedia Posts: 1,034member
    Quote:

Originally posted by G_Warren

Since when has Apple announced products on a Sunday? They could still announce on Wednesday or Thursday according to that page, or they could add it to the Apple site anytime without advertising a press announcement at this page.

Every year for the past 7 years on SUNDAY at NAB on the Eve of Expo openings on SUNDAY PRESS DAY Apple has held a Press Conference at their booth introducing new software. Since the 17" MBP is a primary component of the NAB crowd's market, it is logical to assume that this would be the day and way to introduce it.

BTW Apple has invited educators of Final Cut Studio to attend an Educators event Monday evening 6-8pm.