Apple's flagship MacBook Pro to arrive at NAB

Comments

• Reply 61 of 82
    cory bauercory bauer Posts: 1,286member
    Quote:

Originally posted by gugy

I am excite about the prospect of a 17" MacBook Pro. But here is my question.

Would PROFESSIONALS jump to buy it now?

Without major applications native to Intel it seems hard to think people who REALLY depend on After Effects and Photoshop and people who need to spend extra money to update their Final Cut Studio applications will get this machine soon.

I for one would rather wait and have all the apps that I need for my work Intel native to finally consider such laptop.

Professionals who spend a lot of time in Final Cut Studio on a PowerBook and are in need of a new computer will jump for it, yes. Especially those who have seen these tests which show a 2.16Ghz MacBook Pro matching or owning a Dual 2Ghz Powermac G5 in most Final Cut Studio tests. Motion renders are especially impressive. Furthermore, these tests show After Effects 7 actually performing faster under Rosetta on a 2.0Ghz MacBook Pro than the best PowerPC notebook money could buy. MP Photoshop tests don't fair as well under Rosetta, but they're not much worse than the 1.67Ghz G4 Powerbook.

Moral of the story is that if a professional is currently relying on a 1.67Ghz PowerBook G4 or less for his/her Final Cut Studio needs, a 17" MacBook Pro would be a wise investment. Final Cut Studio performance will skyrocket, and Adobe applications wont' suck much more than they do now.
  • Reply 62 of 82
    multimediamultimedia Posts: 1,035member
    Quote:

Originally posted by noah93

I am pretty upset about that, but this is for another thread.

Anyway, I would like to see what they do with the extra space inside the 17"

Noah

The 17" MBP announcment is tomorrow Sunday April 23.

I want to see 2.33 GHz Merom

Expresscard/54

An eSATA port

Two 2.5" 160 GB HDs Inside

SuperMultiDrive

Any of that missing will be a wait for next rev for me. I may even have to wait until next year for them to offer it the way I want it. At any rate is anyone at NAB that can tell us when the Apple Event is scheduled for tomorrow?
  • Reply 63 of 82
    dhagan4755dhagan4755 Posts: 2,152member
    You're on crack, Multimedia, for expecting all of those features. Outside of the remote possibility of ExpressCard/54, the rest of your Wish List has pretty much 0% chance of happening. As a matter of fact, the chance of it being announced tomorrow afternoon is nil. There has been no public event scheduled by Apple. If it is expected for NAB, expect it to be announced Monday morning at 9:00 AM EDT.
  • Reply 64 of 82
    Quote:

Originally posted by DHagan4755

You're on crack, Multimedia, for expecting all of those features. Outside of the remote possibility of ExpressCard/54, the rest of your Wish List has pretty much 0% chance of happening. As a matter of fact, the chance of it being announced tomorrow afternoon is nil. There has been no public event scheduled by Apple. If it is expected for NAB, expect it to be announced Monday morning at 9:00 AM EDT.

Pay attention. I said that is what I want not what I expect.

The event has been every Suday before the expo opens for the past 7 years. They seldom pre-announce this event every year. It should be listed on the schedule of events the press gets at the press room today. It is likely tomorrow not Monday. Usually the event is about 5-7pm Sunday evening and always at their Booth. Sunday is the Press Conference day for all the big exhibitors all day long.

Just found the listings for the Press Events at NAB and Apple isn't listed. So either this is totally under the radar with emailed invites only or the 17" MBP is not being featured in an event. Or they get listed on the paper released today in the press room but not on the NAB website.

If they pass on the traditional Sunday event then they will simply be issuing a press release and start showing all the new stuff Monday with no press event. However, there is an invite only event Monday evening for the Educational elite including a 2 hour lecture. Perhaps the press will be there as well.

If they skip Sunday, I think that will be a big mistake that will significantly decrease their BUZZ for the 17" and new FCS features. I wouldn't understand why at all.
  • Reply 65 of 82
    Sorry! My bad! They have pre-announced this event in the past. Last year they hyped it and announced the Final Cut Studio, which included Final Cut Pro 5. Hey I hope they announce it. I really do. But I don't think they will until Monday morn.
  • Reply 66 of 82
    Previous media reporting on Apple Special Events for NAB:

Last year:

http://www.appleinsider.com/article.php?id=993

2004:

http://www.macworld.com/news/2004/03...=1078924658000

2003:

http://www.macworld.com/news/2003/03/20/applenab/

The lack of a media-invited special event at NAB tomorrow (when they've done it for the last few years) scares me a little WRT to the 17-inch MBP announcement.
  • Reply 67 of 82
    Quote:

Previous media reporting on Apple Special Events for NAB:

Last year:

http://www.appleinsider.com/article.php?id=993

2004:

http://www.macworld.com/news/2004/03...=1078924658000

2003:

http://www.macworld.com/news/2003/03/20/applenab/

The lack of a media-invited special event at NAB tomorrow (when they've done it for the last few years) scares me a little WRT to the 17-inch MBP announcement.

Doesn't scare me a bit. I dumbfounds me! This is unbelieveable. Maybe it isn't really ready so they want to low key it to minimize demand yet the opportunity to alert the entire multimedia world that it's coming soon on Sunday, if passed up, shows that Apple PR is either in disarray or under poor leadership or both. The arrogance level is into outer space.

My mind is beginning to feel blown.

Now I'm feeling a depression coming on. Better go to church in the morning.
  • Reply 68 of 82
    Quote:

Originally posted by AppleInsider

The National Association of Broadcasters conference is set to kick-off at the Las Vegas Convention Center on Saturday the 22nd and run through thursday the 27th. The Exhibition hall will not open until Monday the 24th.

Since the exibition hall does not open until tomorrow (Monday the 24th) that's why I am thinking the 17-inch MacBook Pro will not be announced until Monday morning via press release at 9:00 A.M. EDT.
  • Reply 69 of 82
    neutrino23neutrino23 Posts: 1,562member
    Well, 7:30PM PDT 4/23 and no news to report. Bummer.

I checked Apple's RSS feeds and found nothing.
  • Reply 70 of 82
    flounderflounder Posts: 2,674member
    Quote:

Originally posted by neutrino23

Well, 7:30PM PDT 4/23 and no news to report. Bummer.

I checked Apple's RSS feeds and found nothing.

Did you really think they'd announce it on a Sunday night though?
  • Reply 71 of 82
    I have my fingers crossed for Monday morning.
  • Reply 72 of 82
    deestardeestar Posts: 105member
    Apple store UK is down...lets hope for a Macbook Pro 17"

www.apple.com/ukstore
  • Reply 74 of 82
    Quote:

Since the exibition hall does not open until tomorrow (Monday the 24th) that's why I am thinking the 17-inch MacBook Pro will not be announced until Monday morning via press release at 9:00 A.M. EDT.

Score one for me!
  • Reply 75 of 82
    ghstmarsghstmars Posts: 140member
    can someone shed some light with this respect, with the introduction of the 17 incher, the 13 or 14 macbook to be shown next month now, is it safe to assume that the portable lines are not going to receive the merom chip until mwsf 07? instead of the 3Q06?
  • Reply 76 of 82
    gargar Posts: 1,201member
    In the good days of perfect scaling, Apple's Macintosh computers where updated at least every 6 months.

Something the iBook has done for a long time until the last revision.

Since it seems that the Conroe and Merom processors may arrive earlier rather than later (june/july 2006), it's save to assume that we get at least 1 update before MWSF07 and I actually expect an early update/price correction for the 15,4"MBP because of the steep price/feature difference between the 2,0Ghz 15,4"MBP and the 17" MBP.
  • Reply 77 of 82
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ghstmars

can someone shed some light with this respect, with the introduction of the 17 incher, the 13 or 14 macbook to be shown next month now, is it safe to assume that the portable lines are not going to receive the merom chip until mwsf 07? instead of the 3Q06?

I wouldn't assume that at all. When the chips ship expect to see them in MBPs. Going forward Apple will upgrade products when components are available, not when they have an event. They can't afford to fall behind Dell and the like.
  • Reply 78 of 82
    mr. dirkmr. dirk Posts: 187member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ghstmars

I think with Intel chips, we're going to be seeing a much more variable product line from Apple. They won't be able to sell MBPs at these prices when Merom comes out and Dell, HP, et al start offering Merom laptops at Apple's Yonah prices. So, in that sense, Apple faces essentially being forced to upgrade their products as Intel rolls out new processors... But having said that, I think that's one reason why Apple went Intel--they would prefer to have a fresher product line more often, as opposed to the stagnation of the G4 and to some extent the G5.
  • Reply 79 of 82
    mr. dirkmr. dirk Posts: 187member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ecking

I posted my price as 2999 in another thread but I thought it was too expensive, but I guess I was wrong in changing it, it'll probably be 2999 - 3299.

Maybe I should edit my post.

I'm stunned--we were both wrong... $2799 is a much better deal than $2999. That said, I still don't think Apple will reduce the price of the 15" MBP w/ BTO 2.16. Instead, they may up the proc to 2.16 standard (2.33 BTO) when the 2.33ghz processors are available.
  • Reply 80 of 82
    ghstmarsghstmars Posts: 140member
    yep everything does make sense now. , barring anything unexpected, the move to intel was the best move.