Apple to build new 50-acre campus in California

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Apple Computer is planning to build a new, 50-acre campus about a mile from its present headquarters in Cupertino, Calif., chief executive Steve Jobs revealed this week.

"What's happened at Apple is that our business has basically tripled in the last five or six years," Jobs said on Tuesday evening at a Cupertino city council meeting. "And what that's meant, is that our headcount in Cupertino has dramatically expanded."

"We are in 30 other buildings now," Jobs continued, "and they keep getting further and further away from the campus."

Having its employees spread over so many locations quickly became "very frustrating" from Apple, Jobs said. So several months ago the company decided that it needed to build a new campus.

"We've rented every scrap of building we could find in Cupertino," Jobs explained.

With a dearth of corporate real estate in Cupertino, Jobs and company initially feared that they would have to shop for expansion space outside the town that has been Apple's home for nearly three decades.

"After looking at a lot of things, we found something in Cupertino that was a possibility.... It was more expensive, a lot more expensive," Jobs told council members.

He explained that Apple had gone ahead and acquired 9 separate properties located next to each other along Interstate 280 near Pruneridge Rd. -- across the street from the 100-acre HP parcel.

Jobs said the company plans to level the buildings that currently reside on the combined 50-acre lot to form what will eventually be the company's second home, about a mile away from its current headquarters.

"We're pretty thrilled," Jobs told the city council. "Since we're your largest taxpayer, I thought you might be happy for us."

Jobs said it would likely take three to four years to design and build the campus that will accommodate 3,000 to 3,500 employees.

"We'll probably get larger still," Jobs said referring to the time period beyond its corporate expansion.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 26
    does anyone know where i can find this webcast??

thanks
  • Reply 2 of 26
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    2 infinite loop!

Steve's little speech is 16 minutes in. It was slow earlier but it's better now! Here you go!
  • Reply 3 of 26
    eckingecking Posts: 1,588member
    Big dreams Jobs, big dreams.
  • Reply 4 of 26
    ringoringo Posts: 329member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Ireland

2 infinite loop!

Steve's little speech is 16 minutes in. It was slow earlier but it's better now! Here you go!

Nice. Thanks for the link. They seemed happy to hear that Apple would be sticking around!

Also, there's already a 2 Infinite Loop. :P
  • Reply 5 of 26
    Sun Microsystems is closing down their Sunnyvale and Newark campuses. Maybe Apple could get them cheap!
  • Reply 6 of 26
    objra10objra10 Posts: 679member
    According to Steve's presentation, here's where it will be.

looks like it's only a mile or so from the current campus.
  • Reply 7 of 26
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    Oh, c'mon Steve, get the City Council to use eminent domain to put you wherever you want! It's for the public good!

I kid, I kid.
  • Reply 8 of 26
    I wonder how much space their current headquarters takes up? Will this second location be bigger?

I applaud Jobs for not asking to use eminent domain, it's just not right and plus, Apple can do without the bad press that it will generate. This was definitely the right way to do it.
  • Reply 9 of 26
    Quote:

Originally posted by Ringo

Nice. Thanks for the link. They seemed happy to hear that Apple would be sticking around!

Also, there's already a 2 Infinite Loop. :P

Where's 2 Infinite Loop?

Someone said on another forum: "I hope they address it 0 Infinite Loop, keep it binary"
  • Reply 10 of 26
    Quote:

Originally posted by MacCentric

I wonder how much space their current headquarters takes up? Will this second location be bigger?

I'd say it's roughly the same size as the Infinite Loop campus.

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=e...10386&t=h&om=1

From what he described in the video, I'm guessing that they bought all of the commercial properties on that block. There are condominiums at the Western end which they may not have bought.

Quote:

I applaud Jobs for not asking to use eminent domain, it's just not right and plus, Apple can do without the bad press that it will generate. This was definitely the right way to do it.

Apple != Wal*Mart.
  • Reply 11 of 26
    Quote:

Where's 2 Infinite Loop?

Someone said on another forum: "I hope they address it 0 Infinite Loop, keep it binary"

The second location should be should be 10 infinite loop (pronounced two) if we are keeping with the binary theme.

Which reminds me of the shirt which says "There are only 10 types of people in this world, those who understand binary and those who don't."
  • Reply 12 of 26
    Quote:

The second location should be should be 10 infinite loop (pronounced two) if we are keeping with the binary theme.

Which reminds me of the shirt which says "There are only 10 types of people in this world, those who understand binary and those who don't."

Infinite Loop is an actual street name, though.
  • Reply 13 of 26
    retiariusretiarius Posts: 142member
    however, for a corporate headquarters, compared to

san francisco, new york, london, rome, paris, etc.

cupertino has no taste!

why the seemingly contrived loyalty to this backwater burb?
  • Reply 14 of 26
    objra10objra10 Posts: 679member
    Judging by the looks of it - on the map... the new campus will be about twice the size of the original. And it's not going to replace the original. Steve mentions that they will use both the original and the new. It's about 50 acres.

It can't have an address on Infinite Loop since it won't be on Infinite Loop. It's across the street from a 100 acre HP campus.
  • Reply 15 of 26
    It's a new location, they can choose whatever address they want.
  • Reply 16 of 26
    Quote:

It's a new location, they can choose whatever address they want.

They can't name a second road "Infinite Loop" though, that's my point. 2 Infinite Loop is right next to 1 Infinite Loop. As are 3, 4, 5 and 6.
  • Reply 17 of 26
    andersanders Posts: 6,523member
    Ohhhh. If they could come up with a name that referred to the tape used in a Turing machine it would be pretty cool, being infinite too.
  • Reply 18 of 26
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    Their official address will stay the same. They will have their own numbering scheme for internal mail delivery, but that will be it. The buildings of the new campus may have numbers, but they won't use them except to tell people how to get there for an appointment or meeting.
  • Reply 19 of 26
    bentonbenton Posts: 161member
    Why not build up at One Infinite Loop?
  • Reply 20 of 26
    Quote:

Originally posted by Benton

Why not build up at One Infinite Loop?

That would require demolishing the campus, making their space problems even worse temporarily. That's not to mention the impact of the dust and noise would have on the people working there.

I also wouldn't be surprised if Cupertino had some sort of statute limiting the height of structures. I don't recall ever seeing any buildings higher than 8 floors or so when I was there.