Report: Visual ads to show up on iTunes

Comments

• Reply 21 of 74
    kim kap solkim kap sol Posts: 2,987member
    Quote:

Originally posted by a_greer

It was never about the music, it has always been a frame of its current self, Apple has just gone the direction that everyone has expected since itunes 2/ipod 1

Apple sells you the computer, the player, the content, and anything else in the chain, and they oh so kindly lock it down, like it or not, Apple wants their customers to be p0wn3D by who else, Apple!

I'd rather they p0wn3D me via 3 separate and lean apps...a Store app, a Music app and a Video app that do the job well instead of a single monolithic app that sucks at everything. 'cuz right no they don't p0wn3D me at all...I don't have an iPod and none of my music is DRM'ed.
  • Reply 22 of 74
    Quote:

Originally posted by kim kap sol

iTunes used to be a fairly lean app when it was about music.

It now tries to do too much...music store, podcasts, video. I suppose this would be fine if the UI was tailored around it doing so much more than it once did. But it's still got a UI geared for music...visualizer effects just don't fit with podcasts, the movie store or video...album art just doesn't work with video (instead we get a postage stamp video ala QuickTime 1.0.)

The interface is just terrible now. Not only is it none functional for what the app does nowadays, it'll get cluttered up even more with ads and mini-stores.

A couple of comments...

I agree that right now iTunes needs major UI overhaul. It was beautiful back in the 4.x days (so, long ago, I know...) when I just had to worry about my music. I love the way iTunes catalogs music. I can pretty much pick how I want it sorted or I can use the browse feature, but I'm obsessive about my album data. I like everything to have Artist, Album, Year, Track # / Total Tracks, Disc # and artwork.

I hate importing movies into iTunes right now because it puts them into my music library and the videos folder. I'd really like it to pick one or the other. Could we have multiple libraries in iTunes that aren't tied to the main music library? Make the video "folder" a library, make the podcast "folder" a library. That alone would make me VERY happy.

As long as the mini-store is off by default, then I could really care less about it. I don't use it, but I know a few people that do, so I guess Apple is reaching its target audience for that. (Whoever they may be)

The ad thing though - I think people have gone a tad crazy talking about dumping OS X and whatnot. First off, this rumored deal deals squarely with podcasts and doesn't involve ads on the iPod itself ... merely ads that play on your computer. If I'm not mistaken, you can fast forward through these at your leisure anyway. I admit I subscribe to the Happy Tree Friends podcast. They're usually a minute or so cartoons and I spend 30 seconds watching commericals for their DVD or some shitty band. So I just forward through them and watch what I want to watch ... and those ads transfer to the iPod. I think it's impossible to really judge how intrusive this will be though until it comes out. The only company mentioned in the article was ESPN ... woo ... ads in my sports highlights. It's much better than their website - I feel like I'm being engulfed in ads. I have to sort through so much bullshit before I can find my damn sports scores. I gave up on their website totally and use the widget now...
  • Reply 23 of 74
    Quote:

Originally posted by wilco

Apple is worse than Hitler! And Saddam! Combined!

Don't forget Stalin!!! He was a meanie too!!
  • Reply 24 of 74
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    Quote:

Originally posted by wilco

Apple is worse than Hitler! And Saddam! Combined!

Obviously not. But it seems everyone puts the advertisers ahead of the users these days, and it's getting a tad tiresome.

The advertisers must have their precious b*ll delivery platform, and that trumps all.
  • Reply 25 of 74
    NO NO NO NO NO. I've already PAID for my Mac and PAID for the software, I refuse to be advertised to within something I've paid for. CableTV is bad enough, and is a big reason that I don't watch it much anymore. ITunes is a tool, what's next? Is Honda going to start putting ads on my dashboard?

Don't do this Apple. Don't do treat your customers like scum.
  • Reply 26 of 74
    I think you guys may be getting it all wrong.

It sounds like Apple will introduce technology that will allow podcasting partners to add visual ads to their podcasts.

You won't see ads while browsing your own personal library.

Some people reach conclusions before thinking!
  • Reply 27 of 74
    Quote:

Originally posted by Robin Hood

Yeah, well some people think first, make conclusions later!
  • Reply 28 of 74
    nagrommenagromme Posts: 2,834member
    Quote:

It wouldn't surprise me one bit if Apple dragged iTunes even lower than it is right now.

iTunes used to be good...now it's a heaping pile of shit.

What am I missing?

"only in the lower-left corner"

Isn't that where album art and podcast chapter images ALREADY appear? And can already be turned off?

So isn't this just (some) podcast creators putting an ad there instead of a more useful image?

I've read the article. How is this Apple doing anything? How is this a change to iTunes at all? Are people just responding blindly without reading the article first?

It just sounds like podcast creators trying to get some compensation using the existing (and optional) chapter art feature, which seems like their choice to me.

Frankly, I'd rather have an image in the corner I can hide, than audio ads in the podcast--which I also think are fair enough if the podcast needs money. (Better an advertiser's money than mine.)

Am I missing something obvious that has people so upset? What makes everyone assume this isn't chapter art, which is how the article seems to describe it?

People are talking about ads added by Apple in some new way to the iTunes UI, but where are they getting that from? The article uses some loaded language like that because the writer probably doesn't know how iTunes currently works.

Maybe there's something horrible in the works, but nothing in the article tells me so. I'll save my rants against Apple until that time.
  • Reply 29 of 74
    Quote:

Originally posted by Robin Hood

I think you guys may be getting it all wrong.

It sounds like Apple will introduce technology that will allow podcasting partners to add visual ads to their podcasts.

You won't see ads while browsing your own personal library.

I would guess you are right--except I think this may been even less than that...

Apple doesn't HAVE to introduce anything new: podcasts ALREADY contain chapter images if the creator chooses to use that.

If there are any NEW changes to iTunes, this article fails to mention them. The article does NOT support the headline: "Apple Computer may soon disrupt the purity of its iTunes interface by introducing visual advertising spots that would appear within the ubiquitous jukebox application."

(The funny thing is, you'd expect Windows trolls to spread this kind of FUD without waiting for evidence, but it seems like Apple's own users will do the job just fine )
  • Reply 30 of 74
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    Quote:

Originally posted by nagromme

What am I missing?

What makes everyone assume this isn't chapter art, which is how the article seems to describe it?

Speaking for myself, it was the fact that the ESPN guy referred to "new," "much richer" technology that hadn't been rolled out yet. The current podcast pix are not new, are already rolled out, and are not exactly "rich."

Sure you could say he is describing the existing pics, just rather colorfully. But if I had to bet, I would say it is something else he is talking about.
  • Reply 31 of 74
    Quote:

Originally posted by ascii

Sure you could say he is describing the existing pics, just rather colorfully. But if I had to bet, I would say it is something else he is talking about.

It could be, but with the article failing to mention what is already in iTunes along those lines, I tend to think the writer doesn't actually know. And the ESPN guy is in the business of selling ads in podcasts (audio ads--which ESPN has used for some time), so his colorful language to Ad Age doesn't surprise me. His idea of "new technology" (and he's not referring to Apple in that sentence necessarily) could easily be something trivial. Like delivering a different random audio ad on each download, instead of the current fixed ad that everyone gets. Or something.

So I'll line up to complain if I see something bad being done, but this article doesn't describe anything to complain about. So I will wait and see rather than assuming.

Also, if rich new technology is coming to podcasts, I doubt it would be just for ads! But like any content, the creators could choose to use it that way. (And again I see no fingers yet to point at Apple being the advertiser, but rather the podcast creator.)
  • Reply 32 of 74
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:

Originally posted by iShawn

It says it's only for podcasts. Those are so riddled with ads anyways; what would be new? It appears that anyone making a podcast out of enjoyment doesn't limit their audience by putting in a podcast, but those who have been doing it for a while see the need for one reason or another (some I may or may not agree with) to start making money from it. It's silly, but until I see obtrusive ads when I view my music library (And no, I am not taking into accord the mini store, at least it's relative to what I am listening/viewing) I am not going to worry.

If it's only for podcasts, that makes complete sense. That's the one area of iTunes that needs to become profitable for Apple. Flood 'em with ads, Steve!
  • Reply 33 of 74
    Quote:

Originally posted by futuretheory9

NO NO NO NO NO. I've already PAID for my Mac and PAID for the software, I refuse to be advertised to within something I've paid for. CableTV is bad enough, and is a big reason that I don't watch it much anymore. ITunes is a tool, what's next? Is Honda going to start putting ads on my dashboard?

Don't do this Apple. Don't do treat your customers like scum.

A correction... you've paid to LICENSE your software, but you own your computer. 8)
  • Reply 34 of 74
    Quote:

It now tries to do too much...music store, podcasts, video. I suppose this would be fine if the UI was tailored around it doing so much more than it once did. But it's still got a UI geared for music...visualizer effects just don't fit with podcasts, the movie store or video...album art just doesn't work with video (instead we get a postage stamp video ala QuickTime 1.0.)

Not sure what the problem is...why don't you just set iTunes to play video full screen?

The only advertising I can see being remotely acceptable would be only for podcasts, and only advertising that the podcaster has put in themselves (and is getting the revenue from). Apple trying to make money off other people's podcasts would be incredibly lame and would get a VERY hostile response from podcasters.

I can't imagine anywhere else in the app where they could get away with putting in ads, unless they were going to try something new like songs that could be downloaded and played for free but had video ads in itunes (not the worst tradeoff).

This whole rumor sounds like it may be bogus, I don't buy it.
  • Reply 35 of 74
    Quote:

Originally posted by nagromme

What am I missing?

Maybe there's something horrible in the works, but nothing in the article tells me so. I'll save my rants against Apple until that time.

Don't you know how emotionally overwrought we (Apple loyalists) can be? We are completely irrational. That's why we all hate Windows and kowtow to every utterance of El Steve-o.
  • Reply 36 of 74
    Quote:

Originally posted by SpamSandwich

If it's only for podcasts, that makes complete sense. That's the one area of iTunes that needs to become profitable for Apple. Flood 'em with ads, Steve!

But apple doesn't own the content of the podcasts, aren't they potentially facing a backlash from podcasters if they try and make money off of content that they don't own?
  • Reply 37 of 74
    rtdunhamrtdunham Posts: 428member
    Quote:

Originally posted by NateRiver

Well, if I were an optimist I'd point out that ads in good taste may be both more pleasing to consumers and more beneficial to companies.

do you think they'll accept ads like the obnoxious neon-flashing ads appleinsider's been running? that way you could stay up all night listening to and buying more music (who could sleep?) and they could sell additional ads to companies pushing headache remedies.

td
  • Reply 38 of 74
    Quote:

Originally posted by futuretheory9

NO NO NO NO NO. I've already PAID for my Mac and PAID for the software, I refuse to be advertised to within something I've paid for.

iTunes is free.
  • Reply 39 of 74
    I suppose I should upgrade to better hardware as my hand-me-down Pentium III laptop will probably choke if any of these ads are in video form.
  • Reply 40 of 74
    Quote:

Originally posted by SpamSandwich

That's why we all hate Windows and kowtow to every utterance of El Steve-o.

And your example of this... is a thread in which people are hating Apple and objecting to "El Steve-o"?

Sounds like Mac users aren't as one-sided as you think